SY-1000-Solutions to OSC tracking and Dynamic Synth, 12 string and weird noises

Started by Nobulusprime, September 08, 2020, 03:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fokof

Quote from: Nicolher on March 17, 2022, 11:37:21 PM
I did all of that at least 6 months ago, and didn't even get a reply (not even an robot one)
We are still with the same 1000$ unusable pedal (at least in live situations)
Thank you Roland you b******
Sorry but I'm seriously p*** off

I wouldn't say it's un-usable , I would say OSC is.
The other 80% of sources is even very good.

on the 1000$ , 800$ is usable   ;)

aliensporebomb

I bet that Nicolher probably has firmware 1.02 or 1.04 on their system.   Get 1.06 or 1.07 for best tracking performance.  It's night and day better.

Some have reported 1.06 being better than 1.07.   For me 1.07 is a little less quick but more stable perhaps?   
I've kept copies of both firmwares on my hard drive just in case.

Then we have to ask about what instrument that user is playing (brand and model of guitar)?
Also what type of GK pickup is in use?
How and where their hex pickup is mounted?
and What settings for GK sense etc are in play on the SY-1000?
And, what patches are being used?

So, fill us in!   We will try to help.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Nicolher

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 18, 2022, 11:41:53 AM
I bet that Nicolher probably has firmware 1.02 or 1.04 on their system.   Get 1.06 or 1.07 for best tracking performance.  It's night and day better.

Some have reported 1.06 being better than 1.07.   For me 1.07 is a little less quick but more stable perhaps?   
I've kept copies of both firmwares on my hard drive just in case.

Then we have to ask about what instrument that user is playing (brand and model of guitar)?
Also what type of GK pickup is in use?
How and where their hex pickup is mounted?
and What settings for GK sense etc are in play on the SY-1000?
And, what patches are being used?

So, fill us in!   We will try to help.

Hey guys,
I was ready to sell the unit because I stop using it in the band where I play bass, then I started to check it on guitar, I've tried some of the presets in the user patch exchange and some of them are pretty amazing (nobulus, and some other funky users)
I'm starting to prep for a gig where i might be using it, so I'd say im more enthousiatic now !
I just went in this topic to check if there was any news and, surprise !
Ok I'll admit I don't actually know which firmware I've got so it's probably old, I'll check that then, thanks for the heads up !
It's feels great to have this community of users, thanks for that to whom it might concern ;-) 🙏

NightSky

I have tried everything I know of to fix the dreaded sympathetic sting vibration problem on the SY-1000. I have tried to EQ, compress, and change string sensitivities different patches, different settings... and found nothing that works. Someone mentioned changing string sensitivities as a possible fix. If I lower the sensitivity of the strings it also lowers the volume of the tone. If I raise the volume level of the tone the problem is still there.

I can deal with the occasional wobbly glitch thing... I can fix that by being more accurate in my playing, but I cannot fix the sympathetic string vibration problem. I hate it, but will need to return this thing if I can't figure out a way to fix it.

Anymore ideas would be appreciated!!

If I played loud music it might be masked, but playing fingerstyle jazz its nasty! BTW... same problem with the GR-55. I bought one of those before the SY-1000 and took it back for the same reason.

Strangely enough, my old Roland GR-1 does not have this sympathetic sting vibration problem. Unfortunately my GR-1 has developed a crackling noise...

Danny

gumtown

Quote from: NightSky on December 08, 2022, 12:41:26 PMI have tried everything I know of to fix the dreaded sympathetic sting vibration problem on the SY-1000. I have tried to EQ, compress, and change string sensitivities different patches, different settings... and found nothing that works. Someone mentioned changing string sensitivities as a possible fix. If I lower the sensitivity of the strings it also lowers the volume of the tone. If I raise the volume level of the tone the problem is still there.

I can deal with the occasional wobbly glitch thing... I can fix that by being more accurate in my playing, but I cannot fix the sympathetic string vibration problem. I hate it, but will need to return this thing if I can't figure out a way to fix it.

If I played loud music it might be masked, but playing fingerstyle jazz its nasty! BTW... same problem with the GR-55. I bought one of those before the SY-1000 and took it back for the same reason.

Strangely enough, my old Roland GR-1 does not have this sympathetic sting vibration problem. Unfortunately my GR-1 has developed a crackling noise...

Danny
Do you have the latest firmware 1.08 installed ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

NightSky

Yes I do have the latest firmware installed... Strange that my old GR-1 did not exibit this problem.
Any ideas leading to a resolution would be greatlty appreciated!

Danny

admin

Quote from: NightSky on December 09, 2022, 09:03:32 AMYes I do have the latest firmware installed... Strange that my old GR-1 did not exibit this problem.
Any ideas leading to a resolution would be greatlty appreciated!

Danny

It's elemental to the engineering differences between the GR-1 vs SY-1000

On the GR-1 , zero sounds which emerge from GR-1 are the ultra low latency  guitar string as oscillator real time  "VGuitar DSP Modeling type.

Instead the GR-1 is a guitar to triggered internal  PCM Synth processor- with a few layers of fixed frequency
range analog bandpass filters per string - pre GR-1  guitar to PCM operations  - resulting in fewer mis triggered notes - but all tones from GR-1 will exhibit a bit of delay latency- higher with lower strings

Contrast with SY-1000 - which with exception of its OSC Synth - it's tones will be instantaneous and  impacted by the users actual guitar in its current condition in regards to string action setup ( are strings too low and slapping the frets?) and any harmonic overtone influences of the user's actual guitar type - for example a Fender Jazz Master with its extended string lengths above the Nut and below the Bridge towards the Tremolo tailpiece. Those contribute overtones not present on a Headless Steinberger guitar which has no contributing string length outside the area between Nut and Bridge.

Also I've experienced problem with some guitars where odd rattles from  a loosely installed double expanding  neck truss rod with no tension creates odd sympathetic vibrations or loose strap buttons, loose Volume potentiometer, loose output jack etc- which may jangle like a tamborine- and  be detected and triggered by the SY-1000

Tap edge of guitar and eliminate source of any unwanted rattles ( tighten your strap buttons, Electronics, pickguard mounting screws , etc.

Adding string dampers help tame anomalies when using SY-1000
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1397.0

More about the differences between Guitar to PCM vs Vguitar processors
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

NightSky

I have tried everything I know of to fix the dreaded sympathetic sting vibration problem on the SY-1000. I have tried to EQ, compress, and change string sensitivities different patches, different settings... and found nothing that works. Someone mentioned changing string sensitivities as a possible fix. If I lower the sensitivity of the strings it also lowers the volume of the tone. If I raise the volume level of the tone the problem is still there.

Danny

Brak(E)man

Quote from: NightSky on December 09, 2022, 12:41:09 PMI have tried everything I know of to fix the dreaded sympathetic sting vibration problem on the SY-1000. I have tried to EQ, compress, and change string sensitivities different patches, different settings... and found nothing that works. Someone mentioned changing string sensitivities as a possible fix. If I lower the sensitivity of the strings it also lowers the volume of the tone. If I raise the volume level of the tone the problem is still there.

Danny

Are you talking about , the 12 string / alt tune warbles , the dynamic synth gnarles or the OSC tracking ?
Which instruments ? Normal tuning etc etc.
And what EQ and compression are you referring to ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Nobulusprime

Quote from: NightSky on December 09, 2022, 12:41:09 PMI have tried everything I know of to fix the dreaded sympathetic sting vibration problem on the SY-1000. I have tried to EQ, compress, and change string sensitivities different patches, different settings... and found nothing that works. Someone mentioned changing string sensitivities as a possible fix. If I lower the sensitivity of the strings it also lowers the volume of the tone. If I raise the volume level of the tone the problem is still there.

Danny

Be good to know what is causing the problems and what the problems are. If it's just the OSC synth, I get it, as it is very flawed in terms of stability. Post some examples of what you're experiencing and then we can assess what the issue might be. For me the SY1000 is now very good with few issues, barring the OSC synth.