ATG Software Manager and Settings Manager Apps on MacOS Catalena

Started by TheOreoMonster, July 29, 2020, 08:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOreoMonster

Anyone successfully running these on MacOS 10.15 Catalena? They install and seem to launch fine, and see my MIDI device (a Roland UMOne MKII) but is  unable  to connect to my guitar. The UmOne is connected to an AT-200B which powers the guitar as well. Guitar doesn't have any batteries in it, but I am still able to engage ATG mode and fret control and etc so I know the AT-200B is powering the guitar. Sometimes it seems to be connected briefly. Any suggestions or thoughts?

admin

Quote from: TheOreoMonster on July 29, 2020, 08:31:12 PM
Anyone successfully running these on MacOS 10.15 Catalena? They install and seem to launch fine, and see my MIDI device (a Roland UMOne MKII) but is  unable  to connect to my guitar. The UmOne is connected to an AT-200B which powers the guitar as well. Guitar doesn't have any batteries in it, but I am still able to engage ATG mode and fret control and etc so I know the AT-200B is powering the guitar. Sometimes it seems to be connected briefly. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Not going to happen,

If you require access to Antares ATG Manager. you must use an older version of macOS 

FransFromBavaria

Is it just me or does anyone else also have the impression that the last few updates on OSX break more than they add "progress"? Maybe that's the marketing - "let's break everything all the time so only the most recent stuff will work.... for a few months.. until we break it again" It's pretty much a joke how many times they effed with their own audio unit standard to the point where some developers said openly they would stop to do any more audio unit plugins.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: FransFromBavaria on September 24, 2020, 11:47:11 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else also have the impression that the last few updates on OSX break more than they add "progress"? Maybe that's the marketing - "let's break everything all the time so only the most recent stuff will work.... for a few months.. until we break it again" It's pretty much a joke how many times they effed with their own audio unit standard to the point where some developers said openly they would stop to do any more audio unit plugins.

It's simple - to take software to the next level of performance you sometimes have to abandon support for legacy functions.  Always has been so, always will be.  Microsoft tried and made a huge mess out of Windows - my friends who work there call it "spaghetti code" because of all the old junk still patched in there somewhere.  At some point they will have to make a fresh start and the same will happen.

This IS progress.  What is difficult for users is the pace at which it happens.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

aliensporebomb

QuoteQuote from: FransFromBavaria on Today at 06:47:11 AM

Yes.  Basically with the move to Catalina they removed 32-bit compatibility for legacy Mac apps in the goal to be 64-bit only.   

They've said this since the introduction of the G-5 systems back in the early 2000s and said "write your stuff for 64-bit, to insure future compatibility".
Some devs were smart and did this.  Many didn't.   

I can think of at least one major printer company (at my day gig) that was butting heads with Apple and they will lose that argument but they were whining "wah, we wrote 32-bit drivers for all 7000 printers we make, we now have to hire devs to re-do them?  wahhh, no we don't want to - why should we?".   Idiots.

Developers felt like this was a ridiculous request and just kept on with 32-bit which caused users to only be able to use half the ram in their computers as a result of their idiocy.

Apple also increased focus on security which ended up causing difficulties for some legacy apps.

Frankly, Mojave is what I'm using as my daily driver system since it lets me run legacy 32-bit plug-ins, legacy roland apps for my VG-99 and Boss GP-10 but doesn't let me run the Tone Studio for the SY-1000.
But I can kind of get around the lack of tone studio.

The real irritating thing is that If I run Windows 10 in boot camp I can run everything - VG-99, GP-10, SY-1000.  ALL of them.

If I run Catalina I can run SY-1000 and GP-10 but not VG-99.   I get it, Apple drives the direction for the industry in many cases but some of the 32-bit audio/music apps I have didn't get updated past Mojave and will no longer run in Catalina.

The same crap will happen when Microsoft deems Windows 10's successor to be 64-bit only.   Annoying but the future says "IDIOTS, develop your stuff for the 64-bit future that has been coming for AT LEAST 15 YEARS NOW..."

I've honestly kind of lost interest in Big Sur.  Not sure what advantage it supposedly has but why bother updating?   My stuff works currently, mostly.  I know technology is a moving target but....

I DID figure out how to disable gatekeeper their new security appliance (boot holding shift r, bring up a terminal window and type csrutil disable and then reboot into macos normally).   I run a webserver off of my mac and unless I disabled gatekeeper it would appear to be working but not work.  Once disabled, boom - working again.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

FransFromBavaria

I don't care that much about 32 bit. It's gotten to the point where they break things for developers in shorter intervalls. As one developer put it:
"We are breaking our commitments to you." That's what it ultimately means. It means they are going to force you to do some work, possibly a large amount of rework, on a regular basis, as punishment for doing what they told you to do originally — as punishment for listening to their glossy marketing on their website: Better software. Faster! You do everything they tell you to do, and you launch your application or service, and then, bang, a year or two later it breaks down."

"So let's say Apple pulls a Guido and breaks compatibility. What do you think will happen? Well, maybe 80–90% of the developers will rewrite their software, if they're lucky. Which is the same thing as saying, they're going to lose 10–20% of their user base to some competing language, e.g. Flutter.
Do that a few times, and you've lost half your user base.
Because every time you shake loose some of your developers, you've (a) lost them for good, because they are angry at you for breaking your contract, and (b) given them to your competitors. They clearly don't want customers. They want shoppers."

That said i watched Apple do it's thing the last few decades and there is so little actual progress in the newer versions of OS i stopped caring a few years ago. It's come to the point that i suspect they know they offer so little that they have to force the customers hands that anybody keeps buying their stuff (and the usual suspects of software brands like adobe etc.) by accelerating obsolence when the new stuff isn't able to do that much more than the older stuff. And i know enough developers and people doing code for a living that you could build an OS that would work for a much longer time and be able to do the same, faster. It's not about progress, it's about politics/marketing.