Any tips for installing a kill switch on Variax Standard? (or JTV)

Started by mattf, July 13, 2020, 02:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattf

I have a Variax Standard that I'd like to install an arcade button style kill switch on for rhythmic staccato effects. I've put these on my regular electrics, but have been hesitant to do this on the Variax. It's not under warranty, so I'm not worried about that. The main thing is, I don't know if there will be any unpleasant surprises when it comes to actually wiring it up. I have tools and skills for routing out a hole in the body, and soldering skills, but has anyone done this that would care to share tips about it?

One thing that is a question for me is regarding the battery. On the other guitars and even pedals I've put the killed switch on, I used a Normally Open style and then connected the positive and the ground to each other at the jack to create an instant short when the kill switch button is pressed. But with a battery being involved, I wonder if there is any risk to the battery, or causing it to fail, overheat, or even explode if the button were to be pressed for a long period or with frequent use. The other option would be to get a Normally Closed style and have the button just break the positive to the jack, though my favorite choice of buttons that work best for this (Sanwa arcade buttons-so fast and responsive) only come in the Normally Open style, so I'd have to compromise.

Brent Flash