Using GR-55 in a chain?, running direct need better overdrive

Started by schfiftyfive, April 26, 2020, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schfiftyfive

I am using the GR-55 regularly to do modern "rockish" praise and worship music. I can get decent sounds using my ampeg amp with some of the defaults as well as many I've downloaded here over the past couple of years.

However, one of my chief uses has become a chorus sound copied many times with many different tunings. I am now usually running direct and the sound quality is barely passable through the system. This is of course better when playing without using the detuned patches, and heavily degraded on these patches (which is expected, from posts I've read here).

I also can't seem to get a reasonable overdrive sound without the warmth of the amp to help out. So, does anyone have experience running the GR-55 through an OD pedal or other effects?

Thanks, joe

plexified

Hey Joe,
              you should be able to get what you want out of the box. Are going into the front/Loop of your amp ? Front of house ? or both. 

You should be able to get what you need out of the box. Tell me more about your settings or maybe post a patch as an example. I'm sure we can get you stunning results.

What chorus, what amp and effects etc. , That will help out a lot to start.

plexified

Joe ,
         In the meantime, try going into the AMP module with some of these settings. Your going to pick an amp, in this case a Fender for cleans and mild on the edge breakup, use the speaker cabinet simulator and the mic as well. Here are some examples to plug in. Keep in mind these are great settings to audition the other amps with too.

Twin, Deluxe, Tweed (my fav) all settings on 12:00 with these exceptions

Gain  switch Middle
Gain  80
Level 100

Speaker  Origional
MIC        Nuemann U 87 / AKG C 451

On Mic
5 CM
Level 80

Use the Solo sw and Level for more grind

Just come out of the Normal PU or Modelling Hot  90-100

Now add in your Chorus and Reverb or other FX

This is considering your going to use your volume control on your guitar to back it off and clean it up nicely. This should sound like a normal amp response into the Front of House, Board or Headphones.

Use the GAIN as your crunch distortion level for more or less and the MIC level to even out your volume.

The Clean Twin is smoother if you want that, Deluxe gets classic when cranked and the Tweed Clean is the sleeper here. This is before you go to MOD pedals etc.

schfiftyfive

Quote from: plexified on April 26, 2020, 05:37:00 PM
Joe ,
         In the meantime, try going into the AMP module with some of these settings. Your going to pick an amp, in this case a Fender for cleans and mild on the edge breakup, use the speaker cabinet simulator and the mic as well. Here are some examples to plug in. Keep in mind these are great settings to audition the other amps with too.

Twin, Deluxe, Tweed (my fav) all settings on 12:00 with these exceptions

Gain  switch Middle
Gain  80
Level 100

Speaker  Origional
MIC        Nuemann U 87 / AKG C 451

On Mic
5 CM
Level 80

Use the Solo sw and Level for more grind

Just come out of the Normal PU or Modelling Hot  90-100

Now add in your Chorus and Reverb or other FX

This is considering your going to use your volume control on your guitar to back it off and clean it up nicely. This should sound like a normal amp response into the Front of House, Board or Headphones.

Use the GAIN as your crunch distortion level for more or less and the MIC level to even out your volume.

The Clean Twin is smoother if you want that, Deluxe gets classic when cranked and the Tweed Clean is the sleeper here. This is before you go to MOD pedals etc.

So very sorry I haven't replied. I seriously cannot thank you enough! Last night I began to tackle this problem again, came here, and found my own post with your replies. (emails from this site had ended up in junk mail)

Two hours later I had a killer clean/chorus-to-OD with just the roll of a knob the way I did for decades with my old Gibson Explorer. Not sure what it will sound like where I'm playing tomorrow (Murfreesboro TN) but now I know enough to tweak it. Happy to throw you some coinage your way. Just let me know how. Again THANKS!!!! :D

plexified

Great News !

Hope your show is fantastic.

A great group here in this community did the same for me along the way, its great to pay it forward. Alot of great tones in the box and certainly more to come.

If you want a lush chorus to play around with give the Space D in the MFX is able to get very wide and full. Signal path Structure 2 will get you in there.

Another thing to try out is synching up your time based effects and use the BPM. This way you can tap tempo on the fly for improvs and take advantage of a really polished application. The measure settings are all the way to the right on the knob range in the editor.

Keep us posted on the progress and if you have any other questions.

schfiftyfive

Yep. I've done the tap tempo following a Kennis Russell video a couple of years ago. I had forgotten how to get there and really need it for a session this weekend. So thanks again!

Having the ability to overdrive this puppy with the volume knob made a HUGE difference. It was like adding another instrument altogether. Much appreciated!

schfiftyfive

Just wanted to thank you again! This has made all the difference. I was looking to get more gear and start all over with a new learning curve (ugh).

My peeps do rock solid 3-part harmonies, and we've dropped bass and keys for some breaks with vocals, drums and chopping on power chords and muted-string clicks like Foreigner meets Billy Thorpe meets a serious southern tent revival. It's great! If I can help in any way (since you passed on cash lol) just let me know.

Going to try and round up a wireless 13-pin system. Saw a homemade unit on YouTube. Bottom line, sticking with the GR-55.

Thanks again!