Ibanez X-ing IMG-2010 24 pin Guitar / Controller

Started by Virtual Tone, February 12, 2008, 06:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Angry Possum

Thanks for that,  are there any other 24 pin or13 pin midi synth controllers that are also good?
"The closer you get to the meaning,  the sooner you know that your dreaming" Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Angry Possum

Oh and How would I benefit from this modification also?  What can I use this with.

"The closer you get to the meaning,  the sooner you know that your dreaming" Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

admin

Quote from: Angry Possum on February 27, 2020, 05:24:42 AM
Oh and How would I benefit from this modification also?  What can I use this with.

Not knowing your degree of emotional attachment to the IMG2010 or $$$ budget - pursue the path you prefer

Typically vintage gear is worth more stock
The $260 French 24 pin converter box  + $99 24 pin Ebay cable + $30 Primovasound GK13 cable will let the stock IMG2010 24 pin guitar connect to modern GK13 processors we talk about - like a used GR-55 or new SY-1000

But most would ditch/sell  the IMG2010 and spend $375 for a gently used Boss GP-10 with GK3 pickup and mount to a spare Squier Strat guitar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-GP-10-Guitar-Processor-wih-Roland-GK-3-Pickup-and-13-Pin-Cable/254522326176?epid=215748004&hash=item3b42b67ca0:g:CzwAAOSw4Z5eVEaq:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!93401!US!-1

Angry Possum

Would the IMG2010 function with just the input jack plugged into an an amp?

admin

Quote from: Angry Possum on February 27, 2020, 11:01:26 AM

YES - but will work only as a typical electric guitar via its 1/4" Output jack only

Need the 24 pin jack for Synth functions and Tremolo Bar functions 

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Angry Possum on February 27, 2020, 11:01:26 AM

But it's capable of so much more.
Synths , instrument modeling , hex fuzz such as Spicetone 6appeal etc etc.

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

Watch out AP, they are trying to lure you down the Rabbit hole. One of us can't leave until another one comes down. ;D

chrish

Hey Phil, all right man, you made it out...send down some edibles will ya, the rabbits are starting taste like chicken. ;D

Angry Possum

I just purchased an Ibanez MC1 for my IMG2010. I also bought the 24 pin cable on eBay. Does this MC1 make any sounds, if not what do you recommend to make the keyboard synth sounds from the midi Guitar. I'm not really sure what the MC1 does. What do I need to make this midi Ibanez guitar sound like a keyboard synthesizer. Help Please!

admin

Quote from: Angry Possum on April 13, 2020, 03:06:17 AM
I just purchased an Ibanez MC1 for my IMG2010. I also bought the 24 pin cable on eBay. Does this MC1 make any sounds, if not what do you recommend to make the keyboard synth sounds from the midi Guitar. I'm not really sure what the MC1 does. What do I need to make this midi Ibanez guitar sound like a keyboard synthesizer. Help Please!

Ibanez IMC-1 is just the 1980's  Guitar to MIDI Processor - no sounds alone.

https://www.joness.com/gr300/img2010.htm

Need  to feed its 5 pin MIDI OUT into a  MIDI Synth or TONE Module to make sounds
Listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0

Angry Possum

Hey Guys/Gals I'm so sorry, I guess I'm ignorant. Is my Ibanez IMG2010 setup complete? I'm not understanding something here. Im a new owner of an Ibanez IMG2010 guitar, I just recently purchased a 24 pin cable, and purchased an MC1 box. Is my ensemble complete now?  Or do I need something else to make midi sounds.etc etc.... I'm lost.......Do I need a synth too. I'm so confused. What will this MC1 do for the guitar, I don't understand why I bought this MC1 now...Signed......Hopeless in NY.

admin

Yes - you need a Synth too

See prior reply to your same question above
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=283.msg206290#msg206290

You still need a separate Synth Module to make any sounds

What you own with IMG2010 snd IMC-1 rack is simply the Guitar to MIDI TRANSLATOR BOX-the entie combo  makes no sounds alone- still need to also own a separate  Synth MIDI Tone module to make any sounds

Headless68

or if you have a reasonable computer or iPad you can midi into that to play soft synths (program versions of synthesisers )
you will need a midi interface (a lot cheaper than buying an actual synth)

also - this is 1980's pitch to midi technology, so dont expect to just play guitar how you normally play, it will require very clean and precise picking and fingering to avoid miss-triggering, and the latency (time between picking and a sound coming out) will be somewhat noticeable which takes some getting used to.

On the plus side the IMG2010 is actually a great guitar and controller and if you want better performance with midi there are ways to connect to more modern midi conversion (like a 24 pin to 13 pin conversion box) which then gets you hooked up to much faster hardware like Roland GR30 or GR33

admin

After finding an abused Ibanez IMG2010 MIDI Guitar, I do my best to resurrect it to a new life, using modern MIDI Guitar technology, by adding a Fishman Tripleplay. With the help of my Fusion 360 CAD/CAM system and my milling machine, the project went off with no problems and a perfect fit.

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch