Line-6 POD GO

Started by admin, January 15, 2020, 06:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Digital igloo says $ 450 MSRP - due April 2020

NAMM 2020: Line 6 POD Go is a new lightweight gigging solution
The Line 6 POD Go is devised form the HX family

Line 6 POD Go

A new floor pedal from Line 6! It's called POD Go, and to be honest it looks pretty darn tasty. The idea here is to gives players everything they need in one compact floor pedal unit. Could this new Pod version be your next gig rig solution?

Just POD and go
The focus of the POD Go is the sounds, rather than deep editing. And it's filled to the brim with what Line 6 describes as "professional-quality amp, cab, and effect models". They come directly from the company's popular HX family of effects processors, including classic amp models like the Blackface, Plexi Lead and

Line 6's new floorboard supports third-party IR loading and Snapshots, helping you tailor it to your needs. There is also a dedicated POD Go Edit app available, which should make it easy to customise your sounds and load patches.

Features
Here's a quick run-down of the main features.

270+ HX and legacy amp and effects models
Third-party IR loading
Stereo effects loop and Expression Pedal/Footswitch input
Free POD Go Edit app
DAW recording

Connectivity
The POD Go has a 4×4 24bit/96kHz audio interface for recording direct to your computer via USB. There's no shortage of inputs and outputs either: FX loop, EXP 2 input, Amp output, Main outputs and a headphone out.

Overall, I think this has a lot going for it. It's lightweight, compact and ultra-portable so I can easily squeeze on into a gig bag. If you don't need all the editing and routing of a full-on Helix environment but like the sounds, this proposition may be pretty enticing for you.

RRP – TBC

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2020-new-guitars-new-synths-new-pedals-new-studio-gear/page/4/

BROCKSTAR

I'm pretty bummed about the line 6 pod go crap. Really? Wasted their time on this when they already have helix floor / rack, LT, native software, hx stomp and hx effects. The market is cornered with it already and how is this that different than a LT?

I think they should have focused on upping the quality in the HX engine and polyphonic and synth stuff etc... not another gadget.

admin

Quote from:  BROCKSTAR on January 16, 2020, 06:33:22 AM
I'm pretty bummed about the line 6 pod go crap. Really? Wasted their time on this when they already have helix floor / rack, LT, native software, hx stomp and hx effects. The market is cornered with it already and how is this that different than a LT?

Its $450 MSRP = $399 street price - which opens Helix grade Amp modeling and Cab IR loading to a wider audience and limits competition from Mooer, Hotone, Nux, Joyo  for the under $500 All in one DSP MFX category.

And it means in the future, Roland/ Boss will have to match or raise the bar with  their sub $500 MFX units 

BROCKSTAR

FAQ info on LINE 6 POD GO

https://line6.com/support/topic/53806-pod-go-faq/?fbclid=IwAR2ZSEa-L6P4gmWIWdKJY4QwaUmObT29qFGtBwP4ei8t3sbw-c0dC0Jd8do

POD Go FAQ

What's the deal with POD Go?
POD Go is Line 6's all new next generation POD, built to toss into your backpack or carry-on and take anywhere. Oh, and it's incredibly easy to use—might be the easiest POD since the original POD in 1999.

How much can you run simultaneously?
Each preset in POD Go includes the following blocks:

Input with Noise Gate
Amp or Preamp (all HX models)
Hybrid Cab from Helix—OR—1x Impulse Response (up to 128 user IRs can be loaded into POD Go via the Mac/PC editor)
Preset EQ (any HX type)
Wah (any HX type)
Up to 4 additional effects (any HX type), with the following caveats:
Three HX effects models have been omitted due to their size (Tone Sovereign, Clawthorn Drive, and Cosmos Echo)
All Distortions, Dynamics, and Pitch/Synth blocks are mono only
All other effects are stereo only
Volume Pedal
FX Loop (mono or stereo)
Output with Volume and Pan
The FX Loop and Preset EQ blocks are automatically assigned to stomp switches, and adding any additional effects automatically assigns them to the remaining stomp switches. Press and hold any two stomp switches to swap them.

If it has nearly all models from HX and Helix products, why call this a POD at all?
The original POD set the standard for ease-of-use in digital guitar and bass products. We wanted POD Go to be ridiculously easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products. And not putting the best modeling possible in a box just because it happens to be less expensive—or have a different name—is weak sauce.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like Snapshots, color switch rings, block copy/paste, 3-second footswitch assignment, 3-second controller assignment, multichannel USB audio, and re-amping?
POD Go has all of these.

So can you use this on professional gigs?
Of course. The main outputs on POD Go are balanced/unbalanced and with TRS 1/4" to XLR M cables, can feed the front-of-house mixer—in stereo—without additional DI boxes. Then the 1/4" AMP OUT can be sent to your amp onstage (either echoing the Main Outs or tapped off before the Cab/IR block). The routable stereo send/return jacks can be used for 4-Cable Method.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
Yes. POD Go Edit should be available by the time POD Go ships.

Does POD Go have an audio interface?
Yes. POD Go has a 24-bit/96kHz, 4-in/4-out audio/MIDI interface with re-amping built in.

Why didn't you put VDI, L6 LINK, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, parallel paths, dual DSPs, cap-sense switches, scribble strips, blah blah blah?!
Because POD shouldn't cost what Helix costs.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than POD HD500X?
14.1"w x 9.1"d x 3.5"h; 5.2lbs
It's way smaller and lighter than POD HD500X. Fits inside pretty much any backpack or carry-on.

What's the price?
POD Go sells for $449.99 US street.

When is POD Go shipping?
April.

admin

admin

Kevin M

The price point probably makes sense given that they've raised the price for all the Helix/HX units

hsuru4u

Quote from: Kevin M on February 20, 2020, 07:22:29 PM
The price point probably makes sense given that they've raised the price for all the Helix/HX units
yes thats a good point.
from this vid i dont think it sounds good.

It has alot in it for the price for sure but i am skeptical untill more reviews and demos come out. With the fm3 every vid/ demo has been excellent.

Smash

Stereo FX loop - are you listening Boss?

Neat pedal. Looks good

I notice patch was supposed to be a Fender Deluxe. I was listening to the Fender pack for Amplitube ios last night and it slaughters this. Simply nowhere near it.

hsuru4u

Quote from: Smash on April 03, 2020, 03:04:57 PM
Stereo FX loop - are you listening Boss?

Neat pedal. Looks good

I notice patch was supposed to be a Fender Deluxe. I was listening to the Fender pack for Amplitube ios last night and it slaughters this. Simply nowhere near it.
]
yes that amplitude pack when i sat greg kock demo it was amazing.....i would take a used gt1000 over the podgo.

antonioaabad80

The helix range has been hit by fractal with their fm3... so maybe they will try to get to the range of peop,e who doesnt need complex signal chains, i mean, im a gt1000  and i dont need 2 amps, sythn, several reverbs nor 10 switches: witch 3 or 4 more than enough. I need a smaller unit right now and this fit my necesities, right now boss only can offer me a gp10 or a gt001 in the same range, with no ir ,loading. I cant say about quality, havent tried a helix.

Gibby60

This thing is amazing! a better Helix for people that want less options. You can buy amazing presets for little money. At $449.00 they've changed the modeling world forever. I had the Boss stuff. This is then real deal. I think Yamaha used this as a loss leader to sell more guitars. I bought one of those as well.

acousticglue

Pod Go rocks, had the GT1000 and the answer was no to that. Best guitar pedal Ive spent money on ever except for VG8EX

admin

Quote from: acousticglue on July 08, 2020, 08:56:45 AM
Pod Go rocks, had the GT1000 and the answer was no to that. Best guitar pedal Ive spent money on ever except for VG8EX

Provide more details why you prefer POD GO vs GT-1000?

acousticglue

$$$ number 1. Does all I need it to do for less than half the cost. Many amps sound good and has 128 slots for cab IRs. FX in general are good. Most distortions are good, octaver good, easy to slot fx. I generally am in computer so I would use mostly my own delays and reverbs although there are couple decent ones in that category. Sound is very good for what I need.

Gibby60

Now, that I've had it awhile, I love it more each day. I do soundtracks, and the recorded sounds are wonderful. I bought two packs, J Sadrice (sp) His is loaded with great tones for $55.00. I also bought the guy that looks like Derek Smalls has a 10 pack for $20.00 that has 3 VH through the years tone, that are a blast to play with. But the best part for me is the cleans. I've been playing 50 years, I can make any amp sound like crap, my mind is not knob twiddly. I want to play! I pick a cool tone, and hit record.

admin

scribble58

First Impressions: After having read the posts here, I bought the POD GO about a week and a half ago. I have used both pedalboards and multi-effects over the years. I play in a variety-type cover band and so I use a wide range of effects. I go back and forth because although I like using pedals, I dont like doing the 'pedal dance' when I want to go from clean to dirt, delay to dry, in the same song.

Multi-effects...It takes me a while to dial in useable patches, because home use and live are two different animals. It mostly the volume fluctuations. I work on a patch and use it at a gig and it is either too loud or too quiet, or the it is too bright, or dark.. Time consuming for me to get them right.

Having said that, I have  had or used the Zoom G7.1ut, Zoom G3, Zoom MS50, Helix LT, Helix Stomp, Boss GT-1000, Boss GT-100, Roland GR-55, Boss GP-10, Korg A4. Out of all of those, I was impressed with the Helix LT and almost bought one, having rented it for 2 months. In the end I couldnt justify the price.

So I was really interested in the POD GO (Baby Helix). There are some great Youtube videos on it.

I started editing patches as soon as I got it. The limitations as far as processing power and number of effects blocks were apparent as soon as I tried to add a second delay unit to a patch and it was greyed out. But it was not unexpected. I am happy with the features that are included, and I think you get exactly what you pay for. Maybe a little more, actually.

** You can add up to 128 third party/custom IRs. I have bought a few already and tried some free ones. There are a couple that are impressive. 

** Stereo balanced and unbalanced outs. When I do start playing live again, I will be going straight into the mixer in stereo. We all use in-ears in our band so this will mean I dont need to bring an amp.

** USB recording interface. I am able to record with the recording monitor off, and still hear the effects. This is a bonus for me.

** Separate Amp out without cab emulation.

** I have a Fishman TriplePlay and I am currently using the Connect app, so my iPad output can go right into the FX Loop Return. So synth and guitar going into 2 channels on the mixer.

** Small Footprint - I went to a jam the other day, and just took the POD GO. I put it in a knapsack. I have been hearing from other POD GO owners that this fits in a standard laptop bag!
It is one of the reasons I sold my Boss GT-100. It was huge!

** Snapshots and Stomp Mode. Most multi-effects units have Stomp and Patch mode. But having snapshots is really handy for me. The difference between Helix snapshots and POD GO snapshots is that they cannot be named in POD GO. They are just called 1,2,3,4. Not really an issue if you come up with a system (1 - Default, 2 - Variation, 3 - Lead sound, 4 - Lead variation) or you could have the Harmony effect on, and each snapshot is a different scale, or scale note. Etc.

So far I have been pretty happy with the sounds that I am getting with this unit. I will say this...the first guitar I plugged in was a LTD Les Paul with Seymour Duncans. All of the sounds were a bit over-driven. The guitar was too hot for the input. Once I turned on the input pad, they sounded better, and of course, cleaner. My Strat and Tele, they were a better match, soundwise, with the pad off.

I am in the process of organizing patches right now. I will probably try a few more IRs out, and see what I can do with the External switches. I would like to see if the BOSS FS6 will work this this. I dont see why not.

EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC

scribble58

Quote from: Gibby60 on July 20, 2020, 02:50:17 PM
Now, that I've had it awhile, I love it more each day. I do soundtracks, and the recorded sounds are wonderful. I bought two packs, J Sadrice (sp) His is loaded with great tones for $55.00. I also bought the guy that looks like Derek Smalls has a 10 pack for $20.00 that has 3 VH through the years tone, that are a blast to play with. But the best part for me is the cleans. I've been playing 50 years, I can make any amp sound like crap, my mind is not knob twiddly. I want to play! I pick a cool tone, and hit record.

Exactly my experience after having it for 6 months, and gigging with it, and recording with it. I love how it sounds when I record with it. I never really had much success with Bias FX, Guitar Rig, and Amplitube. I only have to tweak minimally to get it to sound great.

I did buy a few presets/irs for it, and they sound good. I only use one IR and all the rest are the stock cabs.

Gigging, we are using in-ears about 50% of the time (running direct) and 50% I am running out of the Pod Go into a Boss Katana effects return, or into my Peavey Classic 30.
EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC