Peavey AT-200 open E tuning clash

Started by Benburd, February 03, 2020, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benburd

Both myself and a friend have he same problem, when in open E tuning the first fret on the G string sounds terrible. Has anybody else had this problem and maybe knows a fix. I'm trying to play she talks to angels but this is ruining it. Thanks
Ben

Den.

The note on the open G string with "open E" tuning will be an Ab note. If your amp isn't loud enough you will hear the Ab note through the amp clashing with the acoustic sound of the G note on the guitar. The other amplified notes in the "open E" chord sound fine because their corresponding acoustic strings are either the same notes or perfect fifths. Try turning it up or listening through headphones if you can.

Benburd

Thanks for the try but it does it with a headphone amp. The note is just wrong and sounds like it is trying to play 2 notes neither one being what it should be. I did it through headphones specifically to avoid that problem. The funny thing is it didn't use to be a problem. It started when a friend pointed it out on his guitar and mine was fine but over time it got screwed up. Looking at the history now makes me think it could be batteries even though the led is OK maybe this specific patch is power hungry. I will let you know if new batteries fixes the problem. Hopefully I just needed to step back and see more possibilities. Wish me luck.
Ben

Den.