Compressor on Electric Guitar at Board

Started by slh2536, November 20, 2019, 06:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slh2536

Our church recently added a compressor at the mixing board (Yamaha MG32/14FX) and wanted to add my electric guitar to it also. I really don't feel the need as I can only go as loud as the Sound Tech allows me.
My Questions are:
If there's a plus to add it what would that be?
And if there's a minus side of a compressor at the board on my electric guitar what could that be?

admin

Quote from: slh2536 on November 20, 2019, 06:52:16 AM
Our church recently added a compressor at the mixing board (Yamaha MG32/14FX) and wanted to add my electric guitar to it also. I really don't feel the need as I can only go as loud as the Sound Tech allows me.
My Questions are:
If there's a plus to add it what would that be?
And if there's a minus side of a compressor at the board on my electric guitar what could that be?

Its a rather common signal routing -using a compressor is  not always  about making your guitar louder in the mix ,

QuoteIf there's a plus to add it what would that be?
the compressor also acts as a "Leveling amp" reducing your guitar or even "duck" ( reduce the gain) of your guitar anytime the singer is singing 
https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/use-sidechain-compression-to-separate-guitar-and-vocals--audio-15625

QuoteAnd if there's a minus side of a compressor at the board on my electric guitar what could that be?
The net result is  a highly compressed non dynamic "FM Radio" type sound at live gigs  - which is a matter of personal taste.

If performing as a  solo guitarist - I might take issue with the compressor clobbering my dynamic range of expression  - but often playing to large audience a compressor helps, as I have found if you start playing low volume at length mid show , the audience at back of the room gets distracted and disrupts the concert with talking   
If playing in an ensemble with multiple instruments, the mix engineer may prefer to have a compressor in your signal chain , so he can avoid working with constant manual gain riding your guitar the whole show     

slh2536

Our sound guys are none professional. I know the compressor helped one of our lady singers who has a very powerful voice. I have been playing for many years and without the compressor. I don't want it to hurt my sound as our sound techs would just be guessing how to set it for my guitar. I would be willing to use it but would like to know how it should be set. We have a Presonus ACP88 8ch compressor.
Is there any good videos on how it should be set?  Thanks!

Elantric

Quote from: slh2536 on November 20, 2019, 08:55:28 AM
Our sound guys are none professional. I know the compressor helped one of our lady singers who has a very powerful voice. I have been playing for many years and without the compressor. I don't want it to hurt my sound as our sound techs would just be guessing how to set it for my guitar. I would be willing to use it but would like to know how it should be set. We have a Presonus ACP88 8ch compressor.
Is there any good videos on how it should be set?  Thanks!

Learn Music Technology/Audio Recording at Home
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=641.0