Teuffel - Ebony Block lowers string to string crosstalk with RMC Piezo

Started by gearhound22, October 31, 2019, 06:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhound22

Hi all see below

The foundation of the MIDI guitar is a Tune-o-matic bridge in conjunction with RMC piezo saddles and a MIDI controller. On the bridge there is a string rest made of ebony. It optimizes the string pressure on the piezo crystals and prevents string-to-string crosstalk by dampening the strings between the tuners and the bridge. This enables faster tracking.

Anyone with any experience with this? Wonder how much it improves it? Seems a fairly easy fix

admin

URL Source

https://www.teuffel.com/
https://www.teuffel.com/english/guitars/tesla/midi.htm

Like the birdfish, the concept of the Teuffel Tesla Midi is the complete separation of both signals: midi to converter and magnetic pickups to amplifier. Therefore the pure tesla tone is not affected by the midi converter. Only via the 13 pin jack the acoustic sound of the piezo bridge can be transduced. The magnetic pickups and the magnetic control circuit is connected to the 1/4" jack only. This is very important for high-gain sounds.

Magnetic pickups and midi sounds remain separated. Therefore the guitar has two jacks: one 1/4" jack for the analog signal and a Roland 13 pin jack for the midi signal and the piezo-signal. The jack mounting plate is cut from a solid 8 mm (0.32 inches) aluminum plate.

The foundation of the MIDI guitar is a Tune-o-matic bridge in conjunction with RMC piezo saddles and a MIDI controller. On the bridge there is a string rest made of ebony. It optimizes the string pressure on the piezo crystals and prevents string-to-string crosstalk by dampening the strings between the tuners and the bridge. This enables faster tracking.

The tesla midi can be controlled by a volume knob and a tone knob for the magnetic pickups, a volume knob for the Synthesizer and a volume knob for the acoustic sound.

Beneath the pickups there are two push-button switches which control the channel selection of the MIDI converter (up – down).

---

Teuffel Birdfish too
https://www.teuffel.com/english/guitars/birdfish/midi.htm

On the bridge there is a string rest made of ebony. It optimizes the pressure of the strings on the piezo crystals and prevents string-to-string crosstalk by dampening the strings between the tuners and the bridge. This provides a faster tracking.

gearhound22

so too much pressure is a bad thing?

I could top wrap my BM but there would be very little pressure then .....wonder how much a difference it really makes?

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on November 01, 2019, 11:43:31 AM
so too much pressure is a bad thing?

I could top wrap my BM but there would be very little pressure then .....wonder how much a difference it really makes?

The Piezo Saddle pressure, Yes  - There is a "sweet spot" which minimizes adjacent string crosstalk - a major battle which Graph-Tech never addresses

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2019, 11:55:57 AM
The Piezo Saddle pressure, Yes  - There is a "sweet spot" which minimizes adjacent string crosstalk - a major battle which Graph-Tech never addresses

interesting....I have some nut files and can get my hands on some ebony...getting the right pressure is the tricky part :S
looks like the block was glued on in some way

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on November 01, 2019, 12:40:40 PM
interesting....I have some nut files and can get my hands on some ebony...getting the right pressure is the tricky part :S
looks like the block was glued on in some way

Yes- appear to be an Ebony String guide which sits slightly lower than the Bridge saddles , its basically glued to top of the bridge behind the saddles with clear silicone RTV adhesive (Shoo Goo)

I can envision this may benefit any Piezo user  - (including  Variax) to minimize warbles during DSP Alt Tunings 

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on November 01, 2019, 12:48:57 PM

Yes- appear to be an Ebony String guide which sits slightly lower than the Bridge saddles , its basically glued to top of the bridge behind the saddles with clear silicone RTV adhesive (Shoo Goo)

I can envision this may benefit any Piezo user  - (including  Variax) to minimize warbles during DSP Alt Tunings

Hopefully midi ghost notes too!

gearhound22

Well I finally got around to doing it!
I contacted Ulrich and he suggested "I found out that if the pressure on the saddle is as perpendicular as possible the tracking is better"

Unfortunately when I did my measurement I went from the low E and forgot about the slight radius of the bridge/saddles!

So they aren't fully perpendicular on every string but pretty decent, mine look a little like the 7 string picture with a slight angle.

Comparing my 3 BM's one I haven't yet put in the poly tubing (which you can see in the bridge holes). Strumming the back it rings and the open strings too
One with the poly only kills the back and the open strings ring less
This one with the ebony and the poly kills the back and the open strings barely sound.

I think the poly and the ebony are a great addition! I didn't do a before/after for ghost notes yet but I do remember what it was like before with the GR-55 (even with the subsonic filter!) also with my FTP wireless so look forward to testing!

13 pin tracking aside, does reduced crosstalk help with the piezo sound at all? Or is it strictly a midi thing

admin

Reducing adjacent string vibration induced  crosstalk improves DSP Alternate Tuning - reduces warbles