Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD.

Started by mczero, October 14, 2019, 08:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mczero

The GR-55, VG-99, and GP-10 will not fire a note on MIDI IN from the FC-1. So I have invested in a GR-30 and an SD-50, but haven't yet explored them fully. I would like to hear users answers on the question " What is the Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD?" Please qualify your answer with the genre of music you use it for ie. heavy metal, easy listening, classic rock, classical guitar, etc... I included the arbitrary cost limit so as to limit discussion to synths affordable to the average player. Please include keyboard controllers if they do the job for you and how that affects performance.

mczero

Quote from: admin on October 15, 2019, 12:24:37 AM
It will be listed here  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=50.0
Thanks Admin,
There sure is a vast amount of great info on the topic in that thread. Some of it goes on to soft synths and very expensive hardware. It also covers a lot of problems that users have had with various setups.
That's why I was asking users for the best reasonably priced hardware, to help choose from the plethora of options.
So even if you have contributed to the above thread, a brief note on your best solution would be appreciated.

arkieboy

(Classic progressive rock and electronica)

Best?  IDK.  What would I buy today if I had the money?  Easy.  I'd pick up a Waldorf Blofeld.  It can sound analogue and digital, and has the option to unlock non-volatile sample RAM.  You'd need to be comfortable looping and preparing your own multisamples to get the best out of it though - you can squeeze a lot into 60Mb if you're not insisting on a full multisampled piano.  Inexpensive and small, comes without keyboard if you want.  If you just want synth leads and pads, then I'd also think about the Roland D-05.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

I was also going to suggest a blofeld not just because of sound capabilities but also due to the small size.  If you used it with a GR-55 or a VG-99 it would be the ultimate compact gigging rig.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote; "What is the Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD?"

What style of music do you perform?

shawnb

...in a similar vein: Pick the synth you like best & use it! 

I'd say the biggest consideration is whether you want to play it more like a guitar, or more like a keyboard.  If you want to play more like a guitar, e.g., using string bends, slide, whammy bar, etc., with no limitations, then you want to make full use of mono mode (one string per channel) & the synth must support "multi" mode, where it can associate an instrument for each part/channel. 

I am firmly in this camp, and I have used a Blofeld, an old Roland SC-880, and actually a Roland GR-30 synth as a slave of my FTP and I have been very happy with all 3 - each has it's strengths.  The Blofeld is definitely the best for size & mobility. 

The downside is that there aren't a lot of mono guitar synth patches out there - for any synth - I've had to make all mine by hand, configuring 6 parts, one per channel, a pitch bend range of 24, etc. 

If, OTOH, you are doing primarily keyboard emulation, you don't really care about any of that, and even a simpler single-voice synth can work just fine.  Pretty much everything with midi input works... 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mczero

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 19, 2019, 07:12:56 AM
I was also going to suggest a blofeld not just because of sound capabilities but also due to the small size.  If you used it with a GR-55 or a VG-99 it would be the ultimate compact gigging rig.
Thanks AlienSporeBomb. But how would you connect a Blofeld to a Gr-55, as it doesn't trigger notes on MIDI IN?

mczero

Quote from: chrish on October 19, 2019, 10:19:29 AM
Quote; "What is the Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD?"

What style of music do you perform?
I asked you first. "Please qualify your answer with the genre of music you use it for." But anyway, I play mostly classic rock from 60's and 70's up to a bit of early 2000's. So I need a selection of Hammond organ various piano, sitar, flute, sax as well as a variety of guitar tones. I would appreciate your contribution no matter what style you play.

mczero

Quote from: mczero on October 14, 2019, 08:57:18 PM
What is the Best Hardware Synth for live use with the Fishman FC-1 under $1000 USD?
Looks like Waldorf Blofeld is winning so far. Thanks Elantric, Arkieboy and AlienSporeBomb and ShawnB. Would be great to get some more opinions. It almost seems better value getting one with keys (even though I don't really play keys).

admin

Quote from: mczero on October 25, 2019, 11:36:44 PM
Thanks AlienSporeBomb. But how would you connect a Blofeld to a Gr-55, as it doesn't trigger notes on MIDI IN?

The GR-55 is the MIDI note on / off source, triggering the Blofeld

GR-55 MIDI Out > Blofeld MIDI In 

GR-55 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.0

GP-10 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16458.0

VG-99 Guitar to MIDI
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2970.0

Vaultnaemsae

I know it's not 'hardware' in the sense you mean but for under $1000 I'd grab a used iPad Pro and buy some quality iOS synth apps — Animoog, Model 15, Model D, Sunrizer, Magellan, Zeeon....the list goes on and on and on.

Requires some accessories (CCK, USB MIDI interface) but becomes a very flexible multisynth — especially with the simplicity of connecting the iOS headphone out to the Line In of a GP-10.

I play mostly something akin to jazz fusion and get good musical results with iPad/laptops. That said, I've never owned a 'hardware' synth (except a GR-33) and though I've played keyboard synths here and there over the years I have never used one in my guitar synth rig. Maybe I'd be converted if I ever went that way...
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

chrish

Quote from: mczero on October 25, 2019, 11:48:43 PM
I asked you first. "Please qualify your answer with the genre of music you use it for." But anyway, I play mostly classic rock from 60's and 70's up to a bit of early 2000's. So I need a selection of Hammond organ various piano, sitar, flute, sax as well as a variety of guitar tones. I would appreciate your contribution no matter what style you play.
if your looking at used units, I always recommend the Korg Triton Rack. Its a PCM synth so you trigger sitar, piano, stings, flute,  organs, analog synth stuff,  pads,evolving soundscape, etc.

Its also has a sampler so you can sample and trigger your own samples or use compatable 3rd party samples.

It has excellent fxs that can be used with the internal synth tones and accessed through stereo Analog inputs. So plug your guitar preamp or mixer send in and you have access to about 500 preset fx combinations or make your own.

It is around 3 to 400 dollars used or more depending upon added features such as an analog modeling board.

The warning would be that's its old school gear with a floppy drive, and complex menu diving unless you just want to trigger the ample presets. GR55 midi note out to midi in on the Korg.

I used to perform latin influenced jazz fission with some jazz standards thrown into the mix.

Now that I'm no longer in a band, playing ambient and experimental music keeps me entertained with a good buzz on.

A word of caution. Many musians find the pitch to midi tracking errors and latency from trigging external synth modules via midi from a guitar synth like the GR55 to be a frustrating experience. The internal guitar synth engines aways seem to produce better results.

That's way many use the Roland VG 99 or GP10 for synth duties because midi is not the trigger sourse so no tracking errors except when using the midi out to an external synth module. Can't beat the VG 99 for a artificial electric sitar tone.

admin

When I saw Edgar Winter Live last year - he used an old Edirol PCR Keyboard controller - driving a
KORG M3-M Xpanded

https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_korg-m3-ex_id4645140.html

There is NI Kontakt compatible Software version

https://avaxhome.unblocker.xyz/software/Korg.M3.Acoustic.and.Electric.Pianos.KONTAKT.html

mczero

That's interesting and exotic and might just make it under my $1000 USD budget. One would have to assume Mr Winter has tried a few different products before settling on this. I also assume he sounded pretty good or you wouldn't have mentioned it. Would have been nice to be there. Thanks for the info.

mczero

Quote from: admin on October 26, 2019, 12:28:00 AM

The GR-55 is the MIDI note on / off source, triggering the Blofeld

GR-55 MIDI Out > Blofeld MIDI In 

GR-55 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.0

GP-10 as a Guitar To MIDI Controller
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16458.0

VG-99 Guitar to MIDI
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2970.0
Sorry, but I don't understand how you are triggering the GR-55, VG-99 or GP-10 with your FTP via the FC-1 as per the original post.
The links provided seemed to confirm that they don't accept MIDI IN note commands. If I could go FC-1 > GR-55 etc, i wouldn't need any other synthesizer like the Blofeld. If this can be done by all means let me know, as it is the source of most of my frustration with the FTP and the reason I started this thread.

mczero

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on October 26, 2019, 01:16:27 AM
I know it's not 'hardware' in the sense you mean but for under $1000 I'd grab a used iPad Pro and buy some quality iOS synth apps — Animoog, Model 15, Model D, Sunrizer, Magellan, Zeeon....the list goes on and on and on.

Requires some accessories (CCK, USB MIDI interface) but becomes a very flexible multisynth — especially with the simplicity of connecting the iOS headphone out to the Line In of a GP-10.

I play mostly something akin to jazz fusion and get good musical results with iPad/laptops. That said, I've never owned a 'hardware' synth (except a GR-33) and though I've played keyboard synths here and there over the years I have never used one in my guitar synth rig. Maybe I'd be converted if I ever went that way...
Well that's a novel approach to hardware. I guess I am used to more rough and tumble gigs with band members jumping around, kids climbing on stage a diving etc. that I have never considered taking a computer or an iPad to a gig. I guess it would work for a jazz club or coffee shop gig and more sedate audiences. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shingles

Quote from: mczero on November 13, 2019, 12:02:02 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand how you are triggering the GR-55, VG-99 or GP-10 with your FTP via the FC-1 as per the original post.
The links provided seemed to confirm that they don't accept MIDI IN note commands. If I could go FC-1 > GR-55 etc, i wouldn't need any other synthesizer like the Blofeld. If this can be done by all means let me know, as it is the source of most of my frustration with the FTP and the reason I started this thread.

Correct - they do not accept MIDI in from a guitar. They need to be triggered from a hexaphonic guitar pickup that is compatible with the Roland 13-pin standard:
Roland GK2A (internal or external)
Roland GK3 (internal or external)
Yamaha G1d
Terratech Axon AX101
Graphtec Ghost piezo with 13-pin option
RMC piezo with 13-pin option
LR Baggs piezo with 13-pin option

The
Fishman Tripleplay system isn't not compatible with your Roland devices.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

mczero

Thanks Shingles.
I think the context of the question must have got lost along the way. The GR-55, VG-99 or GP-10 are largely COSM devices so won't fire a note on MIDI IN. So back to the question of which is the best hardware solution for FTP and FC-1?

imerkat

Quote from: mczero on November 16, 2019, 05:20:23 PM
Thanks Shingles.
I think the context of the question must have got lost along the way. The GR-55, VG-99 or GP-10 are largely COSM devices so won't fire a note on MIDI IN. So back to the question of which is the best hardware solution for FTP and FC-1?

The Best? The vPed Pro from Mode Machines. You don't even need the FC-1, you can stick the dongle right in so minimum latency and setup requirements.

It's a VST Loader It works with the IK Multimedia and Komplete Select the TriplePlay comes with. Works with Software synth you see here:

It's not analogue but the sound quality can be just as good

mczero

@imerkat,
Thanks for your answer. This looks like a great synth. There's sure not many of them about though.
I will keep a look out. I can get one sent from the manufacturer in Germany. Would just have to hope I like it...
Cheers,
mczero

gumtown

My latest acquisition was a Roland Fantom XR rack sound module,
It has 1000's of PCM synth PCM tones & drum kits,
room for 6 SRX expansion ROM modules,
512Mb of sample RAM,
a CF card slot for user tones and Samples.

It support 16 parts in Performance mode, each part can have 4 tones, work in midi Mono Mode (allocate each part to a string midi channel),
and ability to map keyboard range per tone.

My first user made sample patch is a multi sample, where a unique sample is played on each note.

I brought it used for the equivalent of US$ 200.00 (a bargain)
and it is the updated FW 2 model with on board Sample Tools.

here is one playing the on board demo songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg_wir4J_r4

Since it is a few years old, i had to specially install windows 8.1 drivers on Windows 10 (easy enough),
and it has a software editor and librarian.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mczero

Quote from: imerkat on November 18, 2019, 03:04:14 PM
The Best? The vPed Pro from Mode Machines. You don't even need the FC-1, you can stick the dongle right in so minimum latency and setup requirements.

It's a VST Loader It works with the IK Multimedia and Komplete Select the TriplePlay comes with. Works with Software synth you see here:

It's not analogue but the sound quality can be just as good

@imerkat
I was going for the Waldorf Blofeld, but now I getting close to pulling the trigger on remainder stock of the vPed Pro. It's taken a while for your info to sink in. I've already got the FC-1, but what the heck.
Would appreciate your comments on the following negatives from elantric:
     >"Doesn't have 64 bit support."
        I've got old copies of Ableton, IK, Steinberg, Guitar Rig... etc that have 32 bit VSTs. That might
        be enough perhaps?  Have you tried software conversion of 64 bit VSTs to 32 bit?
     >"Doesn't mention VST3 support."        Do I need it?
     >"Doesn't mention tempo control."       Do I need it?

Also, I should be able to load it from my laptop I think. I've downloaded your Sylenth1Demo for a tryout. It looks neat. What have you got the sylenth1 running on there? It's hard to tell from the photo?
How does it handle bends, whammy and slides etc?
Did you get the ALY James bundle? Any good?
Is the 12 VST limit a pain?  It seems a bit light but might contain more options than it sounds.
Would really appreciate yours or anyone's response on any of these.
Cheers,
mczero

mczero

Quote from: gumtown on April 11, 2020, 05:10:46 PM
My latest acquisition was a Roland Fantom XR rack sound module,
It has 1000's of PCM synth PCM tones & drum kits,
room for 6 SRX expansion ROM modules,
512Mb of sample RAM,
a CF card slot for user tones and Samples.

It support 16 parts in Performance mode, each part can have 4 tones, work in midi Mono Mode (allocate each part to a string midi channel),
and ability to map keyboard range per tone.

My first user made sample patch is a multi sample, where a unique sample is played on each note.

I brought it used for the equivalent of US$ 200.00 (a bargain)
and it is the updated FW 2 model with on board Sample Tools.

here is one playing the on board demo songs

Since it is a few years old, i had to specially install windows 8.1 drivers on Windows 10 (easy enough),
and it has a software editor and librarian.

Thanks gumtown,
Wow. You sure got yourself a bargain there.
I don't have a rack mounted setup, but that should keep you busy for some time.
Will you be using it with an FC-1?
Cheers,
mczero

gumtown

Quote from: mczero on April 14, 2020, 01:05:34 AM
Thanks gumtown,
Wow. You sure got yourself a bargain there.
I don't have a rack mounted setup, but that should keep you busy for some time.
Will you be using it with an FC-1?
Cheers,
mczero

Using the Fantom XR with my Roland GR-55, will use it with an SY-1000 when it is available here.
Also using the Fantom XR with a computer D.A.W. too.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/