Windows 10 stupid drivers

Started by gekomax, September 06, 2019, 10:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gekomax

Hello, this is the 3th o 4th time I'm going to instasll GR55 driver for windows 10.
But today I'm stuck.

I now that windows 10 gr55 zip is just a "readme" file. When I plug the usb cable on the driver nothing happens (no download no popup installation request). I even tried to run the 8.1 windows setup but nothing change.
The gr55 is not recognized as a audio card at all. This is what I've got:

I've tried to update the driver without success.

Any suggestion?
Thanks

admin

Windows 10 USB Driver installation requires your computer be directly connected to high speed internet, and be lucky that the Microsoft Server is not down for maintenance  ( frequently occurs  - retry in a few hours)

READ and follow the Windows 10 GR-55 USB Driver installation specific details inside the GR-55 USB Driver zip README.html  for a Manual Driver install

Install the driver manually
Depending on the Internet connectivity, the driver may not be installed automatically.
If this is the case, follow the procedure below to install the driver.
Turn on the power of GR-55 and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
Right-click the start button and then click "Device Manager".
In the View menu, click "Devices by type".
Click "Sound, video and game controllers" or "Other devices" to display the GR-55 device.
When the GR-55 device appears, right-click it, and then select "Update Driver Software".
Select "Search automatically for updated driver software".
Your PC starts searching for the driver, and the driver is installed automatically.
The installation is completed if the "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" message is displayed. Click "Close".

If the "System Settings Change" dialog box appears, click [Yes] to restart Windows.

read this link

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3050.msg114549#msg114549

gekomax

I already tried this, but if I try to update the driver windows says it can't find any update....

gekomax

OK, I replyed before your edit. Now I'm going to try what you posted. I'll let you know. Thanks

gekomax

Quote from: admin on September 06, 2019, 10:02:56 AM
Windows 10 USB Driver installation requires your computer be directly connected to high speed internet, and be lucky that the Microsoft Server is not down for maintenance  ( frequently occurs  - retry in a few hours)

READ and follow the Windows 10 GR-55 USB Driver installation specific details inside the GR-55 USB Driver zip README.html  for a Manual Driver install

Install the driver manually
Depending on the Internet connectivity, the driver may not be installed automatically.
If this is the case, follow the procedure below to install the driver.
Turn on the power of GR-55 and connect it to the computer using a USB cable.
Right-click the start button and then click "Device Manager".
In the View menu, click "Devices by type".
Click "Sound, video and game controllers" or "Other devices" to display the GR-55 device.
When the GR-55 device appears, right-click it, and then select "Update Driver Software".
Select "Search automatically for updated driver software".
Your PC starts searching for the driver, and the driver is installed automatically.
The installation is completed if the "Windows has successfully updated your driver software" message is displayed. Click "Close".

If the "System Settings Change" dialog box appears, click [Yes] to restart Windows.

read this link

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3050.msg114549#msg114549

Sorry, I already tried this new edited post and the old version you deleted but it doesn't work.
It can't find any update.

???

admin

admin

FWIW - I do not recommend Windows 10  - its been a nightmare for creatives from day #1

gekomax

Quote from: admin on September 06, 2019, 10:47:38 AM
https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203897715-GR-55-SYMPTOM-Driver-Will-Not-Install-Windows-

maybe this is the problem. My laptop (HP x360 spectre) just havea usb 3.0 port (besides a 3.1). GT55 seems to do not work with usb 3.0
Is that correct?

I tried to connect a Steinber UR22 (first version). This is strange because the UR22 is working on usb 3.0 even it is older than gr55  :-\

Quote from: admin on September 06, 2019, 10:55:41 AM
FWIW - I do not recommend Windows 10  - its been a nightmare for creatives from day #1

I use the gr55 on another pc with windows 10 and no problems

Brion

Please tell us about your USB ports and your experience in downloading and installing the drivers.  Is this Win 10 HOME or PRO?  Did you simply plug in the USB cable and watch Windows download and install the drivers? 

kenact

I have a few laptops and computers, with both USB 2 & 3 ports. I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumtown

1.) A lot of USB driver install problems stem from the Windows 10 PC not being up-to-date with Windows updates.

2.) In Windows, check the "privacy & security" settings for "microphone" because as silly as it sounds, if audio permissions are not grated, the USB driver does not have system access (a privacy thing).

3.) In Mac OS-x check the security settings for the installed driver, as permissions are required to allow the install to finish.

4.) Make sure your Boss/Roland device has the latest firmware installed.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

OldGuitarDude

Apologies if this is a dumb question..... Did you delete the old driver from Windows device manager before reconnecting the gr-55? Sometimes that works for me.

Brion

Quote from: gekomax on September 06, 2019, 11:10:01 AM
maybe this is the problem. My laptop (HP x360 spectre) just havea usb 3.0 port (besides a 3.1). GT55 seems to do not work with usb 3.0
Is that correct?

I tried to connect a Steinber UR22 (first version). This is strange because the UR22 is working on usb 3.0 even it is older than gr55  :-\

I use the gr55 on another pc with windows 10 and no problems

Please tell us the details of how it works...  Did you simply plug it in and the drivers appeared from the 'Net to install?  So far, you're the only one who has had that experience.  I've also seen attempts at running the driver wizard in compatibility mode, (Win 8/.1).  If you don't need the audio driver, you can always buy a cheap USB MIDI interface that works with Win 10, and use the old style, 5-Pin DIN cables.  I'm trying that today.

gumtown

Quote from: Brion on January 13, 2021, 08:43:37 AMIf you don't need the audio driver, you can always buy a cheap USB MIDI interface that works with Win 10, and use the old style, 5-Pin DIN cables.  I'm trying that today.

Be aware that not USB Midi device are equal.
The 'too good to be true" cheap ones don't work, I recommend a Roland UM-One mk2

avoid ones that look like this (and variants)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

kenact

Yesterday I plugged my GR-55 into a USB-3 port on a computer I had previously plugged the GR-55 into. I monitored Device Manager and the GR-55 showed up in Device Manager, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers almost immediately.

Today, I plugged it into a Dell Precision M6700 laptop, with both USB-2 & 3 Ports. The GR-55 had never been plugged into this laptop before. I plugged into the USB-3 port. It took a couple of minutes, but the drivers did automatically load. Of course I was online, which would be a necessity to download any drivers which aren't currently resident on the computer.

I hope that helps someone.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Brion

Bottom line:

I MEAN it!

Contact Roland:
support@rolandus.zendesk.com

Ask them to send you the actual driver and instructions.  I did.  They sent it to me attached in a zip file.  I unzipped it, followed instructions, and ina very few minutes connected to the 'Floorboard' application, starting using my guitar as MIDI input device in my DAW, and got an all around warm and fuzzy that my new Windows 10 computer now plays nice and stable with my GR-55!

DO IT!!

philjynx

Quote from: Brion on January 15, 2021, 05:28:43 PM
.....They sent it to me attached in a zip file.  ....

You could upload that file to this site.....

Brion

Roland has encouraged me not to.  The reason, (and I concur, being retired I.T. after nearly 40 years...), is that uploaded content is so often hacked; malware attached, etc..  Best to get it from them.

kenact

Quote from: Brion on January 25, 2021, 06:54:14 PM
Roland has encouraged me not to.  The reason, (and I concur, being retired I.T. after nearly 40 years...), is that uploaded content is so often hacked; malware attached, etc..

There are hackers in this world? :)

Nearly 50 years of IT
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumtown

Quote from: kenact on January 25, 2021, 07:02:19 PM
Nearly 50 years of IT

What were you doing 50 years ago ?
making holes in programming punch cards  ;D

I remember about 20 years ago, a customer wanted me to see if I could repair his CNC/lathe machine, the front console was basically a pinboard and the huge control cabinet was full of tubes.
My suggestion was to buy a new one that runs on silicon.  :D

kenact

Quote from: gumtown on January 25, 2021, 08:09:03 PM
What were you doing 50 years ago ?
making holes in programming punch cards  ;D

I remember about 20 years ago, a customer wanted me to see if I could repair his CNC/lathe machine, the front console was basically a pinboard and the huge control cabinet was full of tubes.
My suggestion was to buy a new one that runs on silicon.  :D
You mean hollerith code? Yes. :)

Writing COBOL & RPGII programs on a Honeywell 2000 Special, with a 48k compiler. AND doing my own keypunching. Reel to reel tapes, card readers and HUGE 5meg disk drives as big as a washing machine. Now I carry around a phone with 128gb sd card.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumbo

Quote from: kenact on January 25, 2021, 11:22:55 PM
You mean hollerith code? Yes. :)

Writing COBOL & RPGII programs on a Honeywell 2000 Special, with a 48k compiler. AND doing my own keypunching. Reel to reel tapes, card readers and HUGE 5meg disk drives as big as a washing machine. Now I carry around a phone with 128gb sd card.

Sounds a lot like me in 1975....
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

kenact

Quote from: gumbo on January 26, 2021, 01:40:00 AM

Sounds a lot like me in 1975....
My list of computer systems is nearly as long as my guitar list, though my guitar list needs updating. I've added a few since the last time I updated my profile. :)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7