DIY Fishman TriplePlay internal Strat install?

Started by mczero, September 05, 2019, 05:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mczero

I abhor the look of the external wart of the GK-3 pickup (like this: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25996.msg192477#msg192477) and feel almost the same about the external Fishman. Despite that, today I lashed out on a used Fishman TriplePlay, since there's no internal kit available.
The plan is to open up the case and use the entrails to create an internal unit and work it into an American standard Strat, mounting parts under the scratch plate in a similar manner to the FTP Strat, which is in the realm of unobtanium in this country, if it ever was available. I foresee a problem with battery changing that I haven't solved yet, among others. Not sure what I'll find inside the case apart from what a few photos on this site show. There is lots of info here about installing a GK-3 on an FTP Strat, but I was unable to find anything on an internal installation using an FTP wart, but maybe it's hiding somewhere.

Question: Has anyone tried to create their own internal FTP Strat (or other) from an external wart?

By all means convince me of the impossibility if that's the case.
Just a little background here: Having searched for about 3 months unsuccessfully for a GC-1 in the land of Oz, I bought the American standard Strat with a view to adding an internal GK-3 kit, (which I may yet do), but before I got too far down the track with that, a very nice GC-1 popped up and I snapped it up, and it is a dream guitar, (Mexican and all.) So that left me with the American standard Strat somewhat superfluous so the when the Fishman TriplePlay came up, I had a rush of GAS to the head, and I snaffled it up for a replacement project. The possibility of combining the GK-3 kit with it remains, but  don't even want to think about that yet. By the way, I can solder and use a router. So no doubt some of that will be necessary. All comments appreciated.

utensil

I agree the wart spoils it for me too. External to Internal is by no means impossible if you're comfortable with soldering small pcb controls, I didn't do the same but settled for mounting the FTP wart in a recessed cavity on the back because I found it to be easier access to the controls than remounting everything on the scratch plate. Plus I liked the idea that most of it is hidden.

It's a Strat with built in FTP, 13 pin and Antares Autotune kit. I got the charging setup by connecting the FTP USB port into 2 pins of the rj45 connector on the side place.

More pics and thread here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24042.msg174790#msg174790

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

utensil

admin

Quote from: utensil on September 05, 2019, 11:40:05 AM
internal FTP kit???

They were only available to select OEM partners (Fender, Godin)

Mortals may purchase gently used Fender Tripleplay Strat or Godin Session Tripleplay as sources for parts

whippinpost91850

I didn't think they were available for sale

mczero

Quote from: utensil on September 05, 2019, 05:47:16 AM
I agree the wart spoils it for me too.
Wow. Great job and different take to what I had envisaged. You sure have done some radical surgery to your beloved Strat and only left a thin layer of timber in places. I missed your earlier post probably because you did the Antares job as well. a very courageous thing to plunge the router in like that first time. I see you did a good job resurfacing the nitro as well. I think I would have to get a Chinese knock off to practice on first. I am intending to hide my efforts under the pick guard where possible, but I see the benefits of your design.
Well done.

admin

I head to
https://stratosphereparts.com

https://stratosphereparts.com/bodies-with-necks/

and get a spare guitar body for such surgery.

This is where I purchased two Fender Tripleplay Strat bodies fully loaded with FTP Internal kits 3 years ago 

2019 Fishman OEM Catalog
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Fishman-2019-OEM-Catalog.pdf

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 05, 2019, 05:18:57 PM
I didn't think they were available for sale

They are available from Fishman to their dealers and luthier installers!

utensil

Quote from: mczero on September 07, 2019, 06:51:48 AM
I am intending to hide my efforts under the pick guard where possible....

Thats what I wanted to do too. I removed the pick guard and found there wasn't enough room , but then again I also wanted the ATG board in there so you should be able to fit it, good luck, it's not undoable but I think u will still need to route out a little under the pickguard.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: utensil on September 09, 2019, 08:37:22 AM
Thats what I wanted to do too. I removed the pick guard and found there wasn't enough room , but then again I also wanted the ATG board in there so you should be able to fit it, good luck, it's not undoable but I think u will still need to route out a little under the pickguard.

Yes you do have to route some to fit an ATG board:

For FTP all routing is in the back of the guitar - see attached installation instructions
https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Fishman-2019-OEM-Catalog.pdf

whippinpost91850

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on September 08, 2019, 04:32:43 PM

I wonder what dealers have them. I'ld like to get one

mczero

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on September 08, 2019, 04:32:43 PM

My local Fishman dealer said:
"Thanks for your email.
I've looked into this and it doesn't appear there is an internal kit for the TriplePlay so you can retrofit into an instrument.
This was an OEM TriplePlay specifically for Fender and isn't available for retail sale."

Fishman Inc said:
"The OEM versions of TP have been developed with our OEM partners, who have put a ton of R+D into the process.So, for that reason, among others, it is unlikely you will ever see a "builder's" version of our retail TP system available for aftermarket purchase, and we definitely can not supply the Fender or Godin systems to aftermarket users for installation under any circumstances. Thanks."

Sadly, this is the situation in Australia. Experiences may differ in other countries.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: mczero on September 13, 2019, 08:38:06 AM
My local Fishman dealer said:
"Thanks for your email.
I've looked into this and it doesn't appear there is an internal kit for the TriplePlay so you can retrofit into an instrument.
This was an OEM TriplePlay specifically for Fender and isn't available for retail sale."

Fishman Inc said:
"The OEM versions of TP have been developed with our OEM partners, who have put a ton of R+D into the process.So, for that reason, among others, it is unlikely you will ever see a "builder's" version of our retail TP system available for aftermarket purchase, and we definitely can not supply the Fender or Godin systems to aftermarket users for installation under any circumstances. Thanks."

Sadly, this is the situation in Australia. Experiences may differ in other countries.

Slightly inaccurate: OEM TP was not specifically developed for Fender, as Godin's FTP guitar will show.

OEM FTP is available to "builders", aka luthiers who have applied for and received permission to install it in their customers' guitars.  Yes, they will not supply it to unqualified "users".  This is because the installation requires careful routing skills, similar to installing ATG in a guitar.  Lots of "users" may have those skills and could conceivably apply to Fishman for an installation permission; they'd have to answer some questions to convince Fishman that they know how to work on guitars.

Having met their luthier requirements I have been able to buy the OEM kit from Fishman as recently as 2019.  However, the agreement prevents me from reselling the kit, so please don't ask me to get you one!  I can install it in a customer guitar when requested.

mczero

Quote from: admin on September 07, 2019, 08:14:22 AM
I head to
https://stratosphereparts.com

and get a spare guitar body for such surgery.

This is whee I purchasrd two Fender Tripleplay Strat bodies fully loaded with FTP Internal kits 3 years ago
Wow! What a great site! I had only seen a few things from them on eBay. I fear they might facilitate semi-fakes by supplying Fender necks to go with fake bodies, but very useful for the project builder.
Unfortunately they are out of stock of FTP bodies and loaded pick-guards at the moment, but I will monitor them and hopefully some new stuff comes in.  Thanks for the recommendation.

admin

Quote from: mczero on September 13, 2019, 09:06:05 AM
Wow! What a great site! I had only seen a few things from them on eBay. I fear they might facilitate semi-fakes by supplying Fender necks to go with fake bodies, but very useful for the project builder.
Unfortunately they are out of stock of FTP bodies and loaded pick-guards at the moment, but I will monitor them and hopefully some new stuff comes in.  Thanks for the recommendation.
They are very reputable  - no fakes there

they learned from auto junk yard paradigm - understand that "parting out" any car or guitar , becomes a profitable endeavor. They purchase excess inventory Gibson / Fender Guitars at Auction from dealers who need to liquidate stock, disassemble the Fenders and Gibsons - and then sell the parts  separately

Ive been doing business there since 2010 - started buying a stripped Les Paul Studio body+ Neck for $399  - to debug Gibson Dark Fire and perform R&D when I was a independent consultant to Gibson ( because Henry J would NOT part with similar item )

I watch Stratophere Parts inventory from time to time - (its constantly changing)
3 years ago I got TWO Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat bodies  - fully loaded with Tripleplay Internal kits and the Fender USB audio interface and three Fender low noise pickups at $450 ea         

last year  during a labor day sale I got a few Fender Tele bodies to mate with my Warmoth necks

admin

QuoteUnfortunately they are out of stock of FTP bodies and loaded pick-guards at the moment,

I doubt they will get any more Fender Tripleplay Strat bodies in stock - their inventory changes monthly  - I got my deal on loaded FTP Strat bodies over 2 years ago

mczero

I have managed to source a brand new FTP Strat from a store in Singapore which has some of the few remaining unsold FTP Strats in the world of those visible online. It had it's own set of problems and expense but resulted in a very nice FTP Strat so I don't need to do the FTP mod after all. (Make sure you get them to check the battery before you buy.) See https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10333.25
I also discovered that the external FTP unit has a circuit board which is almost the same size as the unit itself and is much bigger than that on the FTP Strat so the amount of woodwork involved would be similar to that done by utensil above which was a bit more radical than I anticipated.