Axon Ax 100 Mk II - Midi Out Problem?

Started by Cantata, September 03, 2019, 08:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cantata

Hello all,

I've been using my Axon Ax 100 MK II quite a lot since I bought it about 4 years ago to replace my old Roland GR-1 when it died. I'm very happy with it, but, as of yesterday, it won't send out a MIDI signal to my external synth. I'm quite baffled by this, and was wondering if anybody here has had the same issue?

The unit powers up fine, it receives the information from the 13 pin that it's supposed to, I can use the internal sounds and the guitar output, but, it wont send MIDI out. I've checked the MIDI cable, I've tried to send MIDI to 2 different synths, I've done a factory reset of the Axon, but all to no avail.

I'm hoping that I'm overlooking something simple here....does anybody have suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any help!

Brent Flash

Cantata

Thanks Brent! :)

What a wealth of knowledge this forum is, I'm happy to be here.

Brent Flash

Quote from: Cantata on September 03, 2019, 08:30:17 AMThe unit powers up fine, it receives the information from the 13 pin that it's supposed to, I can use the internal sounds and the guitar output, but, it wont send MIDI out. I've checked the MIDI cable, I've tried to send MIDI to 2 different synths, I've done a factory reset of the Axon, but all to no avail. I'm hoping that I'm overlooking something simple here....does anybody have suggestions as to what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any help!
I am assuming you have checked your MIDI Channel and port setting and that the channel matches the keyboard channel? Check your string mode setting if you haven't already.

Brent Flash

I know this is obvious but you never know, you are using MIDI OUT and not MIDI THRU.

Brent Flash

This is from the manual.Troubleshooting
No output to external MIDI output device.
Question: When I play my guitar, the AXON responds by displaying the pitches or the string level on the dis-
play, but the MIDI output device does not play.
Possible fault: Cabling/setup
Solution:
Ensure that the MIDI cables are correctly connected (from the MIDI OUT of your AXON to the MIDI IN of your
synthesiser).
The MIDI channels of both instruments must be set correctly.
The synthesizer should be in multitimbral mode.
Also ensure that the audio cable from your synthesizer to the amplifier is intact and correctly connected.

Cantata

Thanks again, Brent! Yep, that's what is happening. I tried all those things, tried different cables that I've tested on other equipment, did a reset. I hooked it up to my Kurzweil K2000R, which has a small diode telling me whether it's receiving MIDI whenever you play a note, no matter if the MIDI channels are misaligned or not, and it doesn't react at all. Hm..

Elantric

Quote from: Cantata on September 03, 2019, 10:06:52 AM
Thanks again, Brent! Yep, that's what is happening. I tried all those things, tried different cables that I've tested on other equipment, did a reset. I hooked it up to my Kurzweil K2000R, which has a small diode telling me whether it's receiving MIDI whenever you play a note, no matter if the MIDI channels are misaligned or not, and it doesn't react at all. Hm..

Get a third party MIDI Sniffer
explained here

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

Cantata

Great! Thanks very much, might be just what I need :)

Cantata

Thanks again everyone for the help.

It turned out to be a mechanical problem. I tore the unit apart yesterday, and found that one of the five pins for the MIDI port had disattached from the print. I took the print to my tech this morning and had him resolder the port, and now I'm back in business, it works again!

For others using the Axon Ax-100 MK II, it's worth knowing that the MIDI ports on the back aren't attached to the chassis of the unit, which means that every time you plug and unplug a MIDI cable you are putting a lot of strain on the soldering joints and PCB inside. The MIDI ports inside do have two holes each for mounting with screws, so I recommend drilling some holes in the chassis and attaching the ports properly that way. It'll last much longer...