GT-1: lack of consistent unity volume across presets

Started by lestatar, August 28, 2019, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lestatar

Hello folks....longtime Boss mfx user and new GT-1 owner.  Generally speaking, I am loving the little guy.  As a home player/occasional tiny venue player, the GT-1 is now the anchor for a super small, wall-power free pedalboard using a Joyo rechargeable power supply.  Along with a couple of wireless kits from XVive and Harley Benton [highly recommended for the price/performance BTW], I have now achieved a dream - only 1 cable running to my amps at home or gig/pa/mixer.   So awesome - can't tell you how freeing it has been.  Ain't technology great?  :)

BUT!....And this is coming from a long time Boss owner every major mfx guitar pedal since the early days.

Can anyone explain why Boss does not use unity volume across all their presets?  Or even semi-unity volume?  Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else?

I've started editing and saving my own presets and invariably [through my amps] all of my presets end up on average significantly louder than all of the Boss presets.  So scrolling through the factory presets to find tone starting points I like is quite frustrating due to the very low volumes of the Boss presets.

Am I doing something wrong?   Or should I simply dial back to better match the factory preset volumes somehow?   Not really thrilled to do this though to be honest.

TIA folks and cheers,
-les

admin

Quote from: lestatar on August 28, 2019, 06:35:30 PM
Hello folks....longtime Boss mfx user and new GT-1 owner.  Generally speaking, I am loving the little guy.  As a home player/occasional tiny venue player, the GT-1 is now the anchor for a super small, wall-power free pedalboard using a Joyo rechargeable power supply.  Along with a couple of wireless kits from XVive and Harley Benton [highly recommended for the price/performance BTW], I have now achieved a dream - only 1 cable running to my amps at home or gig/pa/mixer.   So awesome - can't tell you how freeing it has been.  Ain't technology great?  :)

BUT!....And this is coming from a long time Boss owner every major mfx guitar pedal since the early days.

Can anyone explain why Boss does not use unity volume across all their presets?  Or even semi-unity volume?  Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else?

I've started editing and saving my own presets and invariably [through my amps] all of my presets end up on average significantly louder than all of the Boss presets.  So scrolling through the factory presets to find tone starting points I like is quite frustrating due to the very low volumes of the Boss presets.

Am I doing something wrong?   Or should I simply dial back to better match the factory preset volumes somehow?   Not really thrilled to do this though to be honest.

TIA folks and cheers,
-les

I suggest backup your GT-1 USer patches and perform a GT-1 System Reset

But many GT-1 Patches are stereo, if played back on a Mono Amp, or Stereo Headphones with faulty cable, you Will experience many patches at lower volume  -as these were designed for Stereo Amplification Systems 

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/215222643-GT-1-Factory-Reset-Initialization-

GT-1: Factory Reset (Initialization)
January 01, 2019 23:21
Follow
GT-1: Factory Reset (Initialization)

Use the following procedure to perform a FACTORY RESET and clear the internal memory SYSTEM

and PATCH of the GT-1 and reload it's SYSTEM VERSION FACTORY SETTINGS.

CAUTION: All SYSTEM and USER custom programmed data will be lost after FACTORY RESET.

Back up any custom PATCH data you wish to retain by using BOSS TONE STUDIOS for GT-1 and

it's integrated LIBRARIAN.

1. Press [MENU].

2. Use any VALUE KNOB and turn clockwise to select "F.RESET" icon located far right in the menu.

3. With "F.RESET" icon highlighted press [ENTER].

4. Turn VALUE KNOB 1 to select "FROM" value and set it to "SYSTEM".

5. Turn VALUE KNOB 3 to select "TO" value and set it to "U99".

6. Press [ENTER] button once and use VALUE KNOB 1 to select "OK" and press [ENTER] to execute

FACTORY RESET and INITIALIZATION.

7. The message, "EXECUTING" should appear, wait for initialization, when complete the GT-1B will

return to USER PATCH PLAY SCREEN.

8. Recycle power, POWER OFF by unplugging the INPUT CABLE and POWER ON by reinserting the

INPUT CABLE.

NOTE: FACTORY RESET will roll back to the last SYSTEM PROGRAM/FIRMWARE VERSION UPDATE

installed. For example, if a SYSTEM PROGRAM VERSION 2.0 update has already been installed and

a FACTORY RESET is performed it will only reset back to VERSION 2.0 not back to an earlier

SYSTEM VERSION.

Was this article helpful? 

lestatar

Hey site admin:  Many thanks for the reply.   I did not consider the stereo nature of the presets on the GT-1 and actually, yes, I normally am running the GT-1 out as mono only. 

I'd like to avoid the nuclear option right now of factory resetting my GT-1 but I do have quality headphones.  Would you suggest I plug my headphones into the GT-1, go through the original user presets plus my own presets 1 by 1 and then try to volume match my presets down to match the user presets?   Or maybe vice versa?

Thanks a ton for the help!  Also for the info on my GT-1 and Win 10 Pro connection problems.  I had already tried [along with Roland support] about 95% of what you suggested.  However, somehow I missed the "allow unsigned USB driver installation" steps.  Will definitely give that a shot but already have to disable Secure Boot on my lappy's BIOS first - with Secure Boot, the steps to allow unsigned Win 10 Pro driver installs can't happen.

Cheers!  :)
-les