Is it ok to plug a pedal (SY-1) out to GK in?

Started by DreamTheory, August 01, 2019, 04:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

I have plugged a guitar 1/4" into my GK in just to use the GR55's COSM and stomps. What if I ran my guitar into an SY-1 or other pedal and then into the GK guitar in? Could it damage the GR55?

SY-1 seems like a fun way to expand GR55's analog synth capabilities. Arpeggiator and more foot controls. But it lacks reverb delay and other things that would be available in GR55.

Also, SY1 has a side chain loop. Would it be better to run that to GR55?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

mooncaine

You can put it into the Guitar In, if there is one, but you can't put it into the GK input. Only GK-compatible stuff can get plugged in there.

gumtown

I assume you are referring to the guitar in on the GK-3 pickup,  inserting an SY-300 between the normal guitar jack and  the GK-3 normal guitsr in.?
Yes that will work fine.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

Sounds like a brilliant idea, now that I understand what you mean. Or at least, what gumtown says; that makes me want to try something similar. Good idea.

DreamTheory

Yeah, I've done it with a bass or other guitar. I just wasn't sure if the output of a pedal had some sort of electrical charge that could fry the GK or GR.

This encourages me to try SY-1. Thanks Gummty!
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

ThomasDV

I've had similar thoughts... I found a variax with a gk-3 mounted on it on craigslist for dirt cheap 2 years ago and started testing it on my sy-1000. It really does open up a number of possibilities to have a secondary "Guitar model" available on the input. Since there is no variax kit to install on my other guitars and kits, I too have been thinking of picking up a gp-10 or gr-55 to use as a "variax" guitar modeler for a monstrous beast bass/guitar double neck that I am building. Used units are surprisingly low at the moment.