Chop a GK-3 in 1/2?

Started by dayn, August 23, 2010, 09:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

In considring my ukulele GK-3 internal install, is it possible to chop 2 of the pickup elements off of the pickup to make it a 4 element pickup? Also, then modify the black metal cover to make a clean looking install.

Thoughts? Pics?

HAMERMAN409

It would be possible to cut down the pickup. The metal can also be reworked but it won't come out all that clean looking unless you do a little bodywork (bondo and paint).

I converted an external Yamaha G1D hex pickup into an internal style and removed the portion where the cable usually enters the pickup to make it shorter. I cheezed out and after cutting and bending the metal only touched up the bare metal spots with a black sharpie (which wore off pretty quickly). Since the area we are talking about is quite small it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds and I achieved my goal of making the pickup less obvious. I also hid the up/down switches in the pickup ring.

gumtown

Quote from: dayn on August 23, 2010, 09:23:37 AM
In considring my ukulele GK-3 internal install, is it possible to chop 2 of the pickup elements off of the pickup to make it a 4 element pickup? Also, then modify the black metal cover to make a clean looking install.

Thoughts? Pics?
Thoughts...
The outer metal shell can be removed by carefully folding out the metal retainer tabs.
The metal shell could be cut down with two cuts through the middle with a fine toothed hacksaw, and the two halves pushed up together, this will make the ends neat, and gives you a four coil outer shell.
With the internals, the bottom two coils can be cut off straight across through the circuit board with sidecutters (the two coils furtherest from the wiring lead).
The Outer shell can then be fitted back on to the remaining four coil GK-3(4/6) pickup.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gron

I'll revitalise this thread since I just finished doing exactly this!  ;D

I just cut down a GK-Kit3b from a 6 string to a 4 string and installed it with a custom pickup cover on my Reverend Wattplower bass.

The opening and cutting of the pickup is really easy and nothing to be scared of. I purchased this saw and miter box on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRBZYC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it was perfect for the task.

I designed and 3D printed the cover and printed it in Polished and Bronzed Black Steel on Shapeways.com.

I had a luthier (Dan Means in Houston, talented guy) install it for me since I was too scared to drill the hole through the centre of the bass to the cavity.
Since the Wattplower has a very high bridge to body distance I also printed a riser plate so the pickup would be floating.

I've put both the pickup cover and the plate up for sale
on Shapeways at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rowan-rsquo-s-shop?li=pb
for anyone who wishes to purchase one to try for themselves. Not as cheap as a mass-marketed pickup cover but there's no money to be made in one-offs!

I have recommended materials in there based on the materials that I used and know to work. However, if you really want to print it in gold or platinum that's entirely on you!
You can see some stepping on the surface of the metal based on the printing technique... it actually looks pretty cool. I printed a prototype at work on a Shapeways in regular plastic that didn't come out with the stepping but also didn't look as finished.

If you want the 3D models to mess with yourself shoot me a PM, I'm happy to share with forum users.

I also sawed down the pickup cover according to gumtown's suggestion to see what would be the better option once the pickup cover came back from printing but there was really no question.

And the result? Awesome  ;D

Reverend Wattplower Frankenbass with internal custom 4-string GK-3B + killswitch
Fender Jaguar Frankenbass, StatusGraphite neck, Graphtec ghost bridge+ built in iphone
Boss SY-1000 :: Kemper Rack  :: Roland VB-99 (+RMC subfilter)  :: Sansamp Rack  ::  BillBaxBreakout  :: FC-300 :: Roland MX-1 + Mor

HAMERMAN409

whippinpost91850

Very nice job. Excellent work

mooncaine

Yes, it does look very nice.