Boss SY-1 - new polyphonic synth stompbox

Started by Mark Haydon, July 11, 2019, 12:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

I'm dubious about its polyphonic capabilities

Smash

Needs to be in a programmable MFX for storing settings and stereo processing but sounds very promising to me.

One of the demos it sounds like it catches all 6 strings in a chord but also fails on others. Jury is out. Still some great tones.
Surely gonna kill the SY300 used market

Brak(E)man

Quote from:  Smash on July 12, 2019, 05:24:03 AM
Needs to be in a programmable MFX for storing settings and stereo processing but sounds very promising to me.

One of the demos it sounds like it catches all 6 strings in a chord but also fails on others. Jury is out. Still some great tones.
Surely gonna kill the SY300 used market

I'm sceptical about the polyphony but I've been wrong before...

I did buy a second hand SY-300 in new condition for less than half price around march, I'm not
sure they can drop more ...
but I'm sure that in 6-12 months after SY-1 is out there'll be a lot of those on the market for half price
or sitting on a shelf.
Guitarist are a very conservative and confused species in general.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Imho at $799 the SY-300 is already 2x more than its actual performance /price ratio 

I get far more use with my $325 Boss GP-10 (purchased in 2014 prior to price increases

chrish

Quote from:  Brak(E)man on July 12, 2019, 07:54:47 AM
I'm sceptical about the polyphony but I've been wrong before...

I did buy a second hand SY-300 in new condition for less than half price around march, I'm not
sure they can drop more ...
but I'm sure that in 6-12 months after SY-1 is out there'll be a lot of those on the market for half price
or sitting on a shelf.
Guitarist are a very conservative and confused species in general.

I sold one of my two sy300's and found that on the used market, you can't get much for them and agree that the SY1 will follow the same path of quick obsolescence,for many guitar players.

It's main selling feature seems to be it's small pedalboard footprint.

In my state of confusion  ;), and with some cash from selling off some gear, I purchased a used Erica synths Fusion drone box which I trigger with the 1v/Oct sonicsmith converter+.

There's no polyphonic confusion there though as it's strictly a mono voice.

chrish

Quote from:  Smash on July 12, 2019, 05:24:03 AM

you are describing the SY-300.

I think it would have been more successful if  you and ASB had purchased one and posted your usual brilliant patches.

Elantric

Quote from:  chrish on July 12, 2019, 09:53:27 AM
you are describing the SY-300.

I think it would have been more successful if  you and ASB had purchased one and posted your usual brilliant patches.

With Audio / Youtube  demos

Many post their SY-300 *.tsl patches alone without a reference audio sample  - and non owners can never grasp what was the intended goal of the SY-300 patch , due to the wide variability of SY-300's reaction to standard electric guitar's Neck vs Bridge PU's / Strat vs Les Paul,  etc,   

DreamTheory

I want to comment that the shape of the SY-1 would look great next to my RC-3. The new Boss 200 series pedals and the new Boss RC-10R looper that just came out look more similar, with that boxy shape and ramped front.

The SY-1 sounds strike me as a bit hyper-resonant. I'd want to EQ them down a bit or something.

I note that the SY-1 one should have been stereo. The RC-3 pedal is a stripped down RC-300, but it is still stereo, unlike the SY-1.

Still, for $200, it might be the ticket for someone.

GR-55 users will note that the SY-1 has some features that GR-55 lacks:
                          at least one voice with formant filter.
                          a side chain loop
                          an analog "bell" (not really needed given all the PCM bells, but still...)
                          effects and pedal assigns already applied and easy to grab, twist, sweep, and go
                          an arpeggiator - perhaps the best reason to consider adding this to a GR-55

It is pretty redundant though, if you have a GR-55. Perhaps a different brand of small format analog synth pedal would bring more different ideas to the rig. I think the SY-1 is a great value of sounds for the price point. It might be nice to take that out to knock around and leave the GR-55 safe at home in studio. If you luck into $200, sure, go for it. Of course, the SY-300 is about triple the cost but it is also more than triple the value in terms of capability.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

mooncaine

Quote from: aliensporebomb on July 11, 2019, 07:09:17 AM
In order to confirm polyphony they really need to get a jazz player to do some piquant chords to test the polyphony fully.
Yeah! Best test for me is when *I* try the picaresque chords myself.

Headless68

Quote from: gumtown on July 11, 2019, 12:29:48 AM
I like..
Nice and simple, I wonder if the GT-1000 will get this added?

This would probably boost GT1000 sales as no other multiFX has polyphonic synth capability - I suspect Boss will want some return from the SY-1 pedal before they consider that though

merman93

It seems this is Boss reaction to the many "synth pedals" available recently, including the Keeley Synth 1, Meris Enzo, EH Synth 9, etc that are not overly complicated, don't need a hex pickup, fit easily on a pedal board, and way under $800.

The general Guitar Center crowd didn't really get the SY 300, (or bought it and sold it on reverb a month later,....where I bought my untouched unit for $350). I love mine but that crowd probably used 4 presets, and never programmed any user patches.

I doubt my 13 pin guitars will ever plug into a new Roland/Boss device ever again. That's unfortunate, but the reality is they would never sell enough to make as much money needed to be profitable. Boss pedals, multi-effects, and Katana Amps are huge money makers.

At least Godin still manufactures several 13 pin multi-voice guitars, which says there is at least a slim possibility.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Smash

Quote from: Headless68 on July 13, 2019, 12:10:53 AM
This would probably boost GT1000 sales as no other multiFX has polyphonic synth capability - I suspect Boss will want some return from the SY-1 pedal before they consider that though

That's what I was thinking when I posted about needing to be part of MFX.

GT2000 with multi function  blocks, SY1 block and no stupid routing/cab functions for the win.

Are there any demos with the organ sounds?

admin

QuoteAt least Godin still manufactures several 13 pin multi-voice guitars, which says there is at least a slim possibility

Sadly i predict Godin may already have cancelled future production of all 13 pin " SA" ( Synth Access) models.
None were on display at past 2 NAMM shows.

Not a single LGX-SA, LGXT, or Multiac SA in sight

admin

Quote from: Headless68 on Today at 12:10:53 AM
QuoteThis would probably boost GT1000 sales as no other multiFX has polyphonic synth capability

The $700  MOOER GE 300 does include a three Oscillator polyphonic synth engine. 

not too many demos of it - and the polyphonic tracking was on par with the SY-300

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23339.50

merman93

Quote from: admin on July 13, 2019, 09:56:18 AM
Sadly i predict Godin may already have cancelled future production of all 13 pin " SA" ( Synth Access) models.
None were on display at past 2 NAMM shows.

Not a single LGX-SA, LGXT, or Multiac SA in sight

Wouldn't surprise me. At least the SA models are still listed on their website, unlike the Triple Play models which look extinct.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Smash

I don't think I be shouting about the Mooer's synth capabilities based on that video...

Realistically going forward, the only thing that Hex can offer will be alternate tuning.

Headless68

Quote from: admin on July 13, 2019, 09:59:03 AM
Quote from: Headless68 on Today at 12:10:53 AM
The $700  MOOER GE 300 does include a three Oscillator polyphonic synth engine. 

not too many demos of it - and the polyphonic tracking was on par with the SY-300

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23339.50

I forgot about the Mooer! :-)
I actually got another GT1000 as its my favourite processor for live use, i'd pay to have that in the GT1k as an update

Kevin M

Watched some more YouTube reviews of the SY-1 today, and the polyphony wasn't too bad, actually.  I think 3 - and maybe even 4 - note polyphony is pretty doable on it. Tracking is quite good. Love the small footprint.

chrish

Quote from: Smash on July 14, 2019, 11:34:44 AM

Realistically going forward, the only thing that Hex can offer will be alternate tuning.
and accurate synth 6 note polyphonic tracking, which is major on a 6 string guitar.

mooncaine

For me, 6-string polyphony is absolutely required. I don't need a pedal adding in extra suck factor; I can handle that part on my own.

Smash

Luddites! :D

OK - 1. 6 string polyphony is already cracked by MG2 & EHX - yes they throw a wobbly with some close intervals but it's at the start of the curve.

2. Alternate tuning/pitching different strings - duly noted. Never say never (like we all did re: 1. above :D)

3. Instrument zones. Crack 2 and 3 will come.

1/4 guitar to synth is in it's infancy - GR500 to VG99 = 31 year journey.

mooncaine

They wouldn't have to crack it if they'd make GK pickups in 5 or 6 shapes, that could drop in to existing guitar routs... and multiplex that signal over a simple 1/4" cable & plug.

chrish

Quote from: Smash on July 15, 2019, 06:47:52 AM
Luddites! :D

which 1/4 input synth pedal do you currently own? :)

Quote from: Smash on July 15, 2019, 06:47:52 AM

1/4 guitar to synth is in it's infancy - GR500 to VG99 = 31 year journey.

It only took Roland until 1980 to achieve extremely accurate pitch translation and low latency 6 note polyphony guitar synthesizer technology with the  Analog GR300.

So 2 years. ;D

Smash

Quote from: chrish on July 15, 2019, 09:54:12 AM
which 1/4 input synth pedal do you currently own? :)

It only took Roland until 1980 to achieve extremely accurate pitch translation and low latency 6 note polyphony guitar synthesizer technology with the  Analog GR300.

So 2 years. ;D

I own MG2 - does that count? Sort of. Kinda.

I must confess GR300 GR500 to me sound much the same - well apart from GR500 having infinite sustain (step backwards then lol)

Even though they're not there yet for me anyways, I still find it amazing you can extraxt the info from a complete signal and am excited to see how it develops.

I use hex cos it works best for me at the moment, if that changes I wouldn't bat an eyelid at jumping ship.

It'll happen at some point - I'll probably be stricken with arthritis by then but hey, I'll be easily pleased by moderate tracking speeds lol! :D

chrish

Quote from: Smash on July 15, 2019, 11:42:38 AM

I use hex cos it works best for me at the moment, if that changes I wouldn't bat an eyelid at jumping ship.

yea, we know as it already happened only to re- board that ship again when it wasn't sinking after all, twice. ;D

Glad to have you on board, at the moment.