Boss SY-1 - new polyphonic synth stompbox

Started by Mark Haydon, July 11, 2019, 12:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

Ok I will get back on point.
Been playing with the SY-300 and it is killer. You can get lost in sound design for days holding certain oscillators and running sequences.
The SY-1 has instant gratification but the SY-300 is DEEP.
The SY-300 has a fuller, far less pinched sound than the SY-1 and I am trying to figure out why.
Maybe the SY-1 is eq-ed for guitar amps??

Now if they put a logical order in the 300 for presets they would have something.
The SY-300 is a QUIRKY box and I think you have to approach quirky.
It is very deep like a VG-99, and I bet it goes over many peoples heads not used to synths.
That is the reason for the SY-1. That is very simple.

Kevin M

Seems like its quality for footprint is pretty compelling. I'll definitely grab one of these when available

hippietim

Quote from: Kevin M on August 19, 2019, 08:20:00 PM
Seems like its quality for footprint is pretty compelling. I'll definitely grab one of these when available

Are these not available?  I was going to return mine to Sweetwater but I'd be happy to redirect it your way instead.

Kevin M

Quote from: hippietim on August 20, 2019, 12:23:17 PM
Are these not available?  I was going to return mine to Sweetwater but I'd be happy to redirect it your way instead.

The SY-1? No....I did the notify me when available option at Sweetwater and haven't heard anything yet. Checked other sites as well, but no luck. Seems like other sites are reporting late Sept/early Oct for availability

BROCKSTAR

I'm not even sure why this sy-1 is a thing.... Roland got lazy. Rehashed a bunch of their stuff in smaller formats this year basically is all they did. Sy-1 offers nothing new except smaller footprint and less tones. This is for lazy people who don't program or don't know about sy-300.

admin

Quote from: brockdavisson on September 12, 2019, 10:33:35 AM
I'm not even sure why this sy-1 is a thing.... Roland got lazy. Rehashed a bunch of their stuff in smaller formats this year basically is all they did. Sy-1 offers nothing new except smaller footprint and less tones. This is for lazy people who don't program or don't know about sy-300.

For many folks,  its all about "will this new box fit / squeeze onto my existing FX pedal board?"
- thus the growing number "smaller new products" based on recycled  / rehashed prior released gear.

Bill Ruppert

Save your money up and buy a SY-300. You wont be sorry sound wise.

roachone

Got mine today. So far I like it! Really wish it was stereo though.

DreamTheory

Quote from: Kevin M on August 19, 2019, 08:20:00 PM
yeah, but if you add a foot switch and exp pedal it becomes an octopus
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

roachone

I'll be using mine for very small parts in songs. For some lead guitar parts I can already tell it adds a new dimension to it. I want be using this for what most folks would when you think of a synth. For what I want it's a nice fit already.