Fractal FM9

Started by thebrushwithin, August 27, 2021, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteo Barducci

Said that, I have no more interest into Fractal stuff.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Chumly

Hi admin, that's a very unfortunate turn of events.  I'm preaching to the converted here, but it's obvious there is no replacement for hexaphonic processing and Roland / Boss leads the way.  Perhaps there will come a time when a monophonic input can provide the same level of processing as hexaphonic, and I suppose MIDI Guitar 2 / 3 and some of the Electro Harmonix units such as the Mel series are at the forefront.

I have iOS MIDI Guitar 2 and some of the Electro Harmonix units and I like them, but they are not a replacement for a 13 pin GK3 setup (again preaching to the converted).
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

gearhound22

As a kemper/fractal/QC user I'd take the QC over the FM9 for sure ( I do worry a little on the reliability and the future upgrades but right now its pretty solid)
The FM9 is yet another half way there version and probably will be followed by a full blown floor afx3 in the not so far future.

Line 6 and the QC smoke fractal for ease of use 

I've got to say out of all the various groups (line 6/kemper/fractal/QC) there is one crowd that is super dbagish and goes out of its way to attack the other users.

Its a shame, Cliff is brilliant at what he does.

Headless68

Based on the unit alone, having had FM3 the amp modelling and the high end effects are best in class - I got rid of the FM3 because I kept hitting CPU limits so the FM9 is should be a winner ......except my time with the FM3 just made me appreciate the good old VG99 even more so maybe this time I won't jump in :-)

hsuru4u

the fm9 is kind of what the fm3 should have been so it will sell well for sure. Same gui so its not next ge=n stuff yet but i see a ton of fm3 up for sale and axefx3 as well which is funny as many are asking too close to what you can get a new one for: people dont want to loose alot of$$ on resale. I used to buy and sell to get the newest thing in the past and realized its a losing battle and silly.

I waited on the axefx3  and fm3 cause i knew an fm6/9 was likely coming and i was right so didnt drop$$ on the others cause i have enough stuff that sounds good but now that i have had time to think even more i feel the fm9 is overpriced to me and overkill for me..Even the fm3 to me was not a good fit.'I am going to get the headrush mx5 because at under 399 its a no brainer for my small needs and has good amps/effects and ir's in it. While i am not banking on headrush to do alot of updates i still think for the price its all the power of the flagship in a smalller package and with a stereo loop andk price is right even if they dont update it...so wont lose alot down the road(like the gt-1 and  katana/ zoom g5n i had and sold and lost very little$$)

vanceg

Interesting,

I spoke with him at about the same time and the tone was quite a bit different in that he seemed to indicate that he just thought there was no market for it and cited the horrifically low sales numbers for the VG-99 as an indication that nobody cared about "13pin guitar".   He made it clear that the AXE FX line was designed to improve on the current guitar experience, not create capabilites because nobody is interested in that. 

If you are looking to simply build a product to sell to existing guitarists, then I don't think you really want to pursue hex processing.  If you want to create an entirely new tool set and pallette for guitarists to work with, hex processing is an obvous choice.  I think we know who AXEFX is marketing to.

That said, I know of at least three people who are using 3 AxeFX units together as a hex processor.  But three is a very small number compared to the number of AXE FX users.

Also - forget that video - thse are exactly the folk who we know will never be interested in guitar innovation. THey have a very nice, full, faboulous world of retro technology that they are enjoying working in and that they find rich and rewarding.  Super.  Don't need them on the team - Happy they have a team they love.

Quote from: admin on August 28, 2021, 11:23:06 PM
I spoke to Cliff (Fractal CEO) at LA Amp show 4 years ago about this , He said Fractal has Zero Interest in that pursuit.
Later I got accidentally copied on an email from Matt (sales rep) where Cliff basically resorted to disparaging me,  and ordered Fractal staff to steer clear of VGuitarforums as a waste of time,  despite me being a customer by purchasing an AxeFXiI, MFC101, FM8 at LA Amp show a week before.

Seems Cliff still believes Roland GK 13 cable is MIDI
(And no doubt why he called me a chucklehead for proposing  GK 13 input option on a future Fractal product.

How a GK MIDI Cable destroyed the success of Roland V-Guitar Modeling products
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

GK 13 confusion continues today  = go to 5:00 minutes

I did learn Cliff cut his teeth tearing down his LINE-6 AxeSys and Vetta Amps in the 1990s

They do have a network of paid staff and super users (who get secret discounts) to monitor forums.
Line-6 learned strategies from Fractals The Gear Page (TGP) minion presence. , and with daily presence  of Line-6 Product managers Eric Klein & Customer Support  Mr Richotte successfully converted TGP DSP Modeler Area from Fractal fan boy land into Helix fanboy land over past 6 years

And most TGP staff still complain if I post there, believing I'm paid by Roland/Boss Corp and VGUITARFORUMS  is owned by Roland

Not

(Details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7912.0