GP-10 or Wait

Started by cambler, January 29, 2019, 01:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cambler

Quote from:  philjynx on February 01, 2019, 04:24:46 PM
My comment about warranty earlier was only what I'd say to others, not what I do myself! Never crossed my mind when I bought my Dave Gilmore EMG setup from a store in New York (I'm in Wales - Britain). I buy a fair bit of stuff from China and Hong Kong provided the seller does not pretend to be UK. Import tax rarely comes into it. Luck of the draw with that here.

I'm the same as you philjynx. The store I bought the GP from doesn't seem to pass on GST (either absorbing or ignoring) and as it's under $1000 it does not get hit at the border as I understand it. The gall of a country to ask businesses in foreign countries to collect tax for them beggars belief!

gumbo

Quote from: cambler on February 01, 2019, 07:57:49 PM
I'm the same as you philjynx. The store I bought the GP from doesn't seem to pass on GST (either absorbing or ignoring) and as it's under $1000 it does not get hit at the border as I understand it. The gall of a country to ask businesses in foreign countries to collect tax for them beggars belief!

...I think you will find yourself 'up' for 10% GST no matter how you try to get it into the country...EVERYTHING that comes into OZ gets hit as they removed the "below $1000 threshold" on 1st July 2018.   If the Seller hasn't collected it and passed it on to the ATO, it will get held up by Australia Post / Customs until the bill is paid...  Simple as that.

eBay sellers sending stuff to Oz have the amount collected by eBay...   ...and as I said earlier, it doesn't matter whether it's new or secondhand, all purchases are affected.  I had to pay GST on a 25AUD secondhand book that I bought on eBay from UK....   When paying through eBay, I get TWO ebay /Paypal (they are the same organisation) transactions on my account...one for the item, and one for the amount of GST collected by eBay/Paypal...   

You can thank people like Harvey-Norman for the inclusion of this legislation.......and the OzGov for seeing it as another happy money-grab to prop up an ailing economy.

HTH
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

I have brought a few things from ALTO Music in the past, shipped from U.S. to New Zealand,
they handle the shipping, insurance, and customs duty and GST for me.
And it still ends up about 20% cheaper than you can buy here.

But I have only done that on items that were new release and wouldn't be available here for 4~6 months.

Still no local support on warrant (2 years on Boss) for imported items, that is the risk you take.

For customs duty/tax value, the shipping slip seems to value the items at wholesale price.

https://www.altomusic.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&cat=2099&q=Boss+GP-10

But then 4 months will go by quickly, and I would much rather support local stores.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

cambler

Quote from: gumbo on February 01, 2019, 08:43:46 PM
...I think you will find yourself 'up' for 10% GST no matter how you try to get it into the country...EVERYTHING that comes into OZ gets hit as they removed the "below $1000 threshold" on 1st July 2018.   If the Seller hasn't collected it and passed it on to the ATO, it will get held up by Australia Post / Customs until the bill is paid...  Simple as that.

eBay sellers sending stuff to Oz have the amount collected by eBay...   ...and as I said earlier, it doesn't matter whether it's new or secondhand, all purchases are affected.  I had to pay GST on a 25AUD secondhand book that I bought on eBay from UK....   When paying through eBay, I get TWO ebay /Paypal (they are the same organisation) transactions on my account...one for the item, and one for the amount of GST collected by eBay/Paypal...   

You can thank people like Harvey-Norman for the inclusion of this legislation.......and the OzGov for seeing it as another happy money-grab to prop up an ailing economy.

HTH
Peter

I hear you on the Gerry Harvey tax. As for having to pay at the border, I guess I will have to wait and see. From what I have heard GST on international items under $1000 are not collected at the border and are the responsibility of the business. That business may comply or it may not however it is not up to local authorities to collect. Obviously the larger concerns such as eBay have little choice. I'll find out in a week or two :)

Some more info from the ATO (for Australian residents) here:

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/gst-on-low-value-imported-goods/information-for-consumers/

cambler

Quote from: gumtown on February 01, 2019, 08:55:56 PM
I have brought a few things from ALTO Music in the past, shipped from U.S. to New Zealand,
they handle the shipping, insurance, and customs duty and GST for me.
And it still ends up about 20% cheaper than you can buy here.

But I have only done that on items that were new release and wouldn't be available here for 4~6 months.

Still no local support on warrant (2 years on Boss) for imported items, that is the risk you take.

For customs duty/tax value, the shipping slip seems to value the items at wholesale price.

https://www.altomusic.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&cat=2099&q=Boss+GP-10

But then 4 months will go by quickly, and I would much rather support local stores.

Totally agreed on supporting local stores but similar to your situation I was facing a 4+ month wait. Sadly it's not the stores fault, rather the distro or perhaps more likely Boss/Roland at the manufacturing end. Is there a scarcity of these units globally?

2pods

I wonder.

A normally very reliable UK online dealer advertised 3 (yes, 3 !) in stock for next day delivery. Now, I buy a lot of stuff from them and have found them to very honest, have good prices, and quick delivery.

Anyway, I was returning a "Opened Box" GR-55 after deciding I was going back to the GP-10 (had one before), so phoned rather than doing it online, to be told "it 'll be coming from our Swedish Hub, and may be a couple of days." They've never done that before, so I said I'd get back to them, just refund the GR-55.

I looked around all of the main UK stores and all of them were advertising the GP-10, but when trying to order, it turned ALL of them we're waiting on stock. I went back and ordered the one from Sweden which has arrived. Whether this says something about manufacturing restarting (as I hadn't seen any in stock in the UK for a long time), the distribution process, or maybe just a blip which means nothing, I don't know. It was just a bit weird.
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

admin

Quote from: 2pods on May 06, 2019, 09:02:02 AM
I wonder.

A normally very reliable UK online dealer advertised 3 (yes, 3 !) in stock for next day delivery. Now, I buy a lot of stuff from them and have found them to very honest, have good prices, and quick delivery.

Anyway, I was returning a "Opened Box" GR-55 after deciding I was going back to the GP-10 (had one before), so phoned rather than doing it online, to be told "it 'll be coming from our Swedish Hub, and may be a couple of days." They've never done that before, so I said I'd get back to them, just refund the GR-55.

I looked around all of the main UK stores and all of them were advertising the GP-10, but when trying to order, it turned ALL of them we're waiting on stock. I went back and ordered the one from Sweden which has arrived. Whether this says something about manufacturing restarting (as I hadn't seen any in stock in the UK for a long time), the distribution process, or maybe just a blip which means nothing, I don't know. It was just a bit weird.

The Boss GP-10 and GR-55 are still in production and remain the current Gk VGuitar product for the foreseeable future
https://reverb.com/news/boss-today-keeping-the-worlds-most-iconic-pedals-fresh

The reality is each Boss product (GP-10, GR-55, RE-500, etc) are built in bulk with specific number of orders on reconfigurable semi robotic assembly lines  - the the assembly line gets reconfigured each week to build other Roland/Boss products. Sometimes shortages occur in some regions, and it may be weeks before order get fulfilled as the assembly lines in Taiwan re-configure to fulfill orders - due to shipping logistics, local customs  / compliance verification clearance  (few are shipped Airmail) there can be a 9 week wait in some regions     

DreamTheory

Quote from: cambler on February 01, 2019, 07:48:18 AM
I'm also using this to help kick start myself back into recording

Then don't rule out GR55. I find the PCM tones infinitely inspiring for recording. I don't use flutes etc live for various reasons, but in DAW they are great both for mimicking and making unreal blends.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008