Katana Librarian (and patch Editor) (Android)

Started by bowtomecha, December 26, 2018, 09:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowtomecha

Just a heads up that a newer android app to control the Katana amps via usb is out.  It's called Katana Librarian and comes in free and paid versions for $7.99. The free version is a demo while the paid version unlocks all the features available and it's listed as working with V3 update as well as the previous one. It looks like it has a Bluetooth hid functionality if anybody wants to try it out. I suspect that one of the vguitarforums members tailored and updated Condor's old code, which gives us 2 recent and viable android apps to play around with. I'm pretty excited right now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsforamps.katana&hl=en

Katana Librarian

Offers in-app purchases

Store and edit patches on your Katana amplifier directly from your phone or tablet!

The BOSS Katana series are terrific amplifiers. Unfortunately they only have the ability to store up to 8 patches on-board. The only way you can access more than 8 patches is hook your amp up to a PC or Mac and install the BOSS Tone Studio application. In addition, many of the amplifier effects are only accessible through the PC application.

Until now.

Introducing the Katana Librarian for Android. Simply attach your Android phone or tablet to your amplifier using a USB On-The-Go adapter, and you can switch between patches and edit them right from your device.

What you need:

- An Android phone or Tablet that supports USB On-The-Go.
- A BOSS KATANA-50, KATANA-100, KATANA-100/212, KATANA-HEAD or KATANA-Artist amplifier. Both the V2 and V3 firmware is supported, though V3 is recommended.
- The USB cable that came with your amplifier.
- A USB OTG adapter. If your phone has a USB Micro-AB connector, you will need an adapter like this one: http://a.co/3mustjw. If your phone has a USB Type-C connector, you will need an adapter like this one: http://a.co/fBZA0vM.

The free version of the app allows you to test your setup and load the built-in demo patches. A single in-app purchase is offered if you wish to unlock the full feature set, which will allow you to:

- Download patches from your amplifier.
- Modify the patch parameters; includes support for all effect types, including the new V3 effects! The editor also changes in real-time as you adjust the parameters on your amp.
- Access undocumented Katana features like hidden amps and multiple simultaneous effects.
- Organize your patches using labels, just like in GMail. Use labels to tag your favorite patches, or create a set list for a live performance.
- Use the hotkey feature in combination with a Bluetooth HID keyboard or pedal board for hands-free patch switching.
- Import and export .TSL files.
- Rename and delete patches.
- Share patches via email, Google Drive, Android Beam, etc.
- Receive all future updates for the life of the product.

Note: This app is not affiliated with or endorsed by Roland Corporation in any way.

gumtown

AMMEDED: No it is not a revamped version of Condor's free android app, this is a new one.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mg_gti

Hi everyone, I'm the author of Katana Librarian. Just to clarify, it was not developed using Condor's code (I've see the app, but don't have the source code).

Katana Librarian had it's origins from an app I developed a couple of years ago called THR Librarian (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsforamps.thr). A couple of the people who had purchased that app asked for a Katana version. I finally got around to purchasing a Katana-50 and started work on the app a few months ago. All of the UI was re-used from THR Librarian and the MIDI protocol was constructed using the GT-100 docs, the addressmap_gt.json that ships with BTS, and the excellent open-source MIDI Monitor app for OS X (https://github.com/krevis/MIDIApps).

Feel free to message me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

mg_gti

Also, with respect to Bluetooth HID, the app allows you to assign a key to bring up a specific patch. This allows you to switch patches remotely with an HID device. Here's some info on a little stomp box I built out of a cheap-o Bluetooth remote control: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23175355/.

gumtown

Oops Sorry,
I had you confused with another another developer revamping the previous "Condor's Android app".
I will amend my previous post.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mg_gti

No worries; they coincidentally showed up in the Play Store around the same time. I was waiting for the V3 firmware to get released; didn't realize the formerly open-source app was up there until a couple of days ago.

fos1

Any chance there is an iOS app available?

Thank you, fos1

gumtown

Quote from: fos1 on December 27, 2018, 05:21:58 PM
Any chance there is an iOS app available?

Thank you, fos1
The Katana USB is not "class compliant", so will require USB driver software, this is built into the Android operating system, but not Apple's IOS.
The only way to communicate is either an intermediate USB micro-computer based device (like a MIDX-20) or Midi over Bluetooth, requiring a USB to Bluetooth device for the Katana which is able to provide a USB driver.

Either way the options are quite slim for IOS unless Apple want to build in USB device compatibility for Boss products. 

mg_gti

v2.0.2 is now up on the Play Store. New features include access to the Line Out, Cabinet and Global EQ settings.

bowtomecha

Quote from: mg_gti on December 27, 2018, 01:09:11 PM
No worries; they coincidentally showed up in the Play Store around the same time. I was waiting for the V3 firmware to get released; didn't realize the formerly open-source app was up there until a couple of days ago.

So does the librarian app give access to the sneaky amps? Or do I have to down load a tsl file for it in the app?

Gurbz

I bought the full version because it works on android 4. An old jxd android device was collecting dust and I'm trying this app out. Patch change remotely would be very cool! Will this work on my not so trusty android 4?
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

mg_gti

Quote from: Gurbz on January 05, 2019, 05:20:07 AM
I bought the full version because it works on android 4. An old jxd android device was collecting dust and I'm trying this app out. Patch change remotely would be very cool! Will this work on my not so trusty android 4?

It should work on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and above. You also need to make sure your device has USB On-The-Go support.

mg_gti

Quote from: Bowtomecha on January 04, 2019, 11:02:27 PM
So does the librarian app give access to the sneaky amps? Or do I have to down load a tsl file for it in the app?

You can access them directly:

Gurbz

Well I got it bluetooth compatible (custum rom) but it's only got one USB port.  ;)
You think a USB hub will work?  :o
This device does not have bluetooth internally. It is old so I use a bluetooth- USB device.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

Urm, it seems to work with a old cheap usb 1.1 hub thingy? Blutooth connected and katana.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

So: is it possible to change patches with Bluetooth and favorably midi over bluetooth?
How do I do that?
Grtz,

Gurbz

mg_gti

First you need a Bluetooth HID device (a keyboard, remote control or a footswitch device like the AirTurn) that can send key presses. Then in the app, assign a hotkey to each patch you wish to switch between (or to the up/down commands under Settings). When the app receives a key press from the HID device it will switch patches appropriately.

Gurbz

But that's not compatible with android 4 I think? When trying to install midi ble connect the app just doesn't show. Android 6+?
What do you recommend as a compatible but cheap android device?
Grtz,

Gurbz

mg_gti

You don't need BLE MIDI. The phone talks to the Katana over USB MIDI and the HID device talks to the phone over Bluetooth (which may be either regular Bluetooth or BLE, depending on the HID device).

Gurbz

Allrighty, I'll try a few other devices. It finds my iphone SE but does not pair device, it does not find my guitar wing midi controller.
Grtz,

Gurbz

dnr101

First comment here, I just wanted to add my short successful connection report here, I put a longer review on Reddit

from r/BossKatana

I used this OTG adapter:
UGREEN Micro USB to USB, Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable 2 Pack On The Go Adapter Micro USB Male to USB Female for Samsung S7 S6 Edge S4 S3, LG G4, Dji Spark Mavic Remote Controller, Android Tablets (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9S9Z0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_Z5jpCbDAZXMNV

With my Android Ellipsis 10HD (Verizon freebie) running pretty close to stock 7.0 and it detected and connected to my katana 50 V3.0 immediately. I'm really happy with the app so far, it gives me access to most everything I want without booting up my stupid slow Windows 10 virtual image (Linux user)

That's it - thanks for the great app!

mg_gti

v3.1 features an improved tablet interface:

Gurbz

I like the app, it's reliable and has a practical interface. Thumbs up!
Grtz,

Gurbz

40flash

Quote from: mg_gti on January 05, 2019, 05:58:22 AM
You can access them directly:

I have the full version. I go to "import TSL" and none of the standard patches show up for me. How do I find them? Don't know how to access them directly. They are on my Tone Studio on my windows 10 laptop but not on my app version.

mg_gti

Files on your computer can't be directly accessed from your phone. You need to transfer them to your phone; the simplest ways are to email them to yourself or use a cloud file sharing solution like Google Drive.