Connecting GP-10 to HX Stomp and PC/iPad

Started by ReniPerez, November 18, 2018, 08:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReniPerez

I've had a GP-10 for a couple of years but just purchased a Line 6 HX Stomp and wanted to ask the forum's advice on how to best connect them. 

I currently have the Left/Mono output of the GP-10 going into the  L/Mono input of the HX Stomp and HX outputs going into Scarlett 18i8 for monitoring and potentially to use Ableton Live 10 Suite as well.  I tried the HX Stomp USB into Ableton but the latency seems pretty crappy (over 20ms at 128 samples) and I get more inputs with the Scarlett for mics.  I'm using the GP-10 mostly as a Guitar modeler and synth with 12-String, Harmonist, Wah and EQ being used to save blocks on the HX Stomp though I do lose stereo on the Harmonist doing this.

I've toyed with the idea of instead sending the Guitar Out (Normal guitar) of the GP-10 into one input on the Stomp and either
a) the Left/Mono out or both main outputs of GP-10 into the other input of the Stomp or
b) both outputs of the GP-10 into the returns of the Stomp

The problem I'm having with the current setup is that gain staging is hard for me to figure.  I plugged my guitar straight into the HX Stomp and tried to get a stereo signal into the Focusrite around -6 to -12 decibels and then connected the GP-10 mono out into the HX Stomp input with only a modeled Les Paul and tried to get the same levels into the Focusrite. 

The problem I have with the input is that I can't really tell what level is being fed into the HX Stomp.  I don't see anything in the manual about input level meters.  I'm trying Helix Native on trial and see that there are input/output meters which HX Edit for the Stomp lacks nor do I see where I'd find this in the Stomp itself.  When I monitor solely modeled guitars/bass/synth into the HX via the Focusrite, I get distortion, particularly with bass, which I don't get if I'm monitoring with headphones off the HX.

Any advice on how to get the levels right?  This would be greatly appreciated.

I think once I get that sorted, I will have a nice compact setup that will give me the built-in models/synths of the GP-10 with the better amp modeling and fx of the HX.  I have a Midx-20 so if I want to play without the laptop, I should be able to use my Softstep 2 USB into the Midx-20, USB from Midx-20 into GP-10 and midi cable from Midx-20 out into HX midi in.

I did try the HX Stomp into my iPad with the Apple adapter and it works great with Tonestack and Amplitube but does crackle at times with Bias FX.  Latency on Tonestack and Amplitube don't seem to be the issue that it is using the Stomp on my Alienware 15 and Ableton Live and I am hoping that midi can pass through from the MIdx-20 through the HX Stomp USB into the iPad so that I can issue program and CC changes to the iPad as well as trigger synths using the GP-10.

I'd love to hear if anyone else on the forum is doing something along these lines and to hear how they have their's setup.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good battery power option for this setup, I'd appreciate that.  I'd have to power two 9-volt devices (GP-10 and HX Stomp), one or two 5-volt (Midx-20 and maybe Apple USB adapter) and one 12-volt TC Helicon Voicelive 2.  I had a Intocircuit Power Monster 32000 mah battery that might have done the trick but it died within months of purchase and is no longer made.  I do have a 20,000 mah power bank with an 18-volt output that I thought about powering something like a Donner DP-1 with to get all the different voltages I need from that but I don't think it would supply enough amperage for the HX Stomp. I do have an iSpot cable that would power multiple 9-volt devices and USB to power plug would give the 5-volt but the HX Stomp amperage and the 12-volt for the VL2 will be tricky.

As said before, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reinaldo

admin

Quote from: ReniPerez on November 18, 2018, 08:49:21 PM
I've had a GP-10 for a couple of years but just purchased a Line 6 HX Stomp and wanted to ask the forum's advice on how to best connect them. 

I currently have the Left/Mono output of the GP-10 going into the  L/Mono input of the HX Stomp and HX outputs going into Scarlett 18i8 for monitoring and potentially to use Ableton Live 10 Suite as well.  I tried the HX Stomp USB into Ableton but the latency seems pretty crappy (over 20ms at 128 samples) and I get more inputs with the Scarlett for mics.  I'm using the GP-10 mostly as a Guitar modeler and synth with 12-String, Harmonist, Wah and EQ being used to save blocks on the HX Stomp though I do lose stereo on the Harmonist doing this.

I've toyed with the idea of instead sending the Guitar Out (Normal guitar) of the GP-10 into one input on the Stomp and either
a) the Left/Mono out or both main outputs of GP-10 into the other input of the Stomp or
b) both outputs of the GP-10 into the returns of the Stomp

The problem I'm having with the current setup is that gain staging is hard for me to figure.  I plugged my guitar straight into the HX Stomp and tried to get a stereo signal into the Focusrite around -6 to -12 decibels and then connected the GP-10 mono out into the HX Stomp input with only a modeled Les Paul and tried to get the same levels into the Focusrite. 

The problem I have with the input is that I can't really tell what level is being fed into the HX Stomp.  I don't see anything in the manual about input level meters.  I'm trying Helix Native on trial and see that there are input/output meters which HX Edit for the Stomp lacks nor do I see where I'd find this in the Stomp itself.  When I monitor solely modeled guitars/bass/synth into the HX via the Focusrite, I get distortion, particularly with bass, which I don't get if I'm monitoring with headphones off the HX.

Any advice on how to get the levels right?  This would be greatly appreciated.

I think once I get that sorted, I will have a nice compact setup that will give me the built-in models/synths of the GP-10 with the better amp modeling and fx of the HX.  I have a Midx-20 so if I want to play without the laptop, I should be able to use my Softstep 2 USB into the Midx-20, USB from Midx-20 into GP-10 and midi cable from Midx-20 out into HX midi in.

I did try the HX Stomp into my iPad with the Apple adapter and it works great with Tonestack and Amplitube but does crackle at times with Bias FX.  Latency on Tonestack and Amplitube don't seem to be the issue that it is using the Stomp on my Alienware 15 and Ableton Live and I am hoping that midi can pass through from the MIdx-20 through the HX Stomp USB into the iPad so that I can issue program and CC changes to the iPad as well as trigger synths using the GP-10.

I'd love to hear if anyone else on the forum is doing something along these lines and to hear how they have their's setup.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good battery power option for this setup, I'd appreciate that.  I'd have to power two 9-volt devices (GP-10 and HX Stomp), one or two 5-volt (Midx-20 and maybe Apple USB adapter) and one 12-volt TC Helicon Voicelive 2.  I had a Intocircuit Power Monster 32000 mah battery that might have done the trick but it died within months of purchase and is no longer made.  I do have a 20,000 mah power bank with an 18-volt output that I thought about powering something like a Donner DP-1 with to get all the different voltages I need from that but I don't think it would supply enough amperage for the HX Stomp. I do have an iSpot cable that would power multiple 9-volt devices and USB to power plug would give the 5-volt but the HX Stomp amperage and the 12-volt for the VL2 will be tricky.

As said before, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reinaldo

There are multiple ways to use all that gear
HX Stomp FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24434.0

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27519193/

and you will need multiple battery's to power it all
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10662.0

Get an independent VU meter to check gain staging (seems they  omitted implementing a VU meter on the HX Stomp

ReniPerez

Thank you! 

I already have a pedal board that I wanted to add a battery supply to and it seems that the Boxking option is only available now as part of a pedal board either from Australia or via the Nomad option which I see on MF. I see there is a Joyo JP-05 that might work for the HX Stomp if I use a dual power cable but it seems it's only 4400 mah.

If the XTPower MP-1000 that has been mentioned on this forum could give enough juice, I'd buy one to dedicate to the HX Stomp. Otherwise, another option might be to buy a Donner DP-2 and use an existing 19 volt power bank I have to power it's 18 volt input and supply power to its 9 volt outputs.

As for the VU meter option, I may have a recorder similar to what you pictured that might give me that option.

Thanks again for the help and directing me to the right places on the forum.

admin

Quote from: ReniPerez on November 19, 2018, 10:15:20 AM
Thank you! 

I already have a pedal board that I wanted to add a battery supply to and it seems that the Boxking option is only available now as part of a pedal board either from Australia or via the Nomad option which I see on MF. I see there is a Joyo JP-05 that might work for the HX Stomp if I use a dual power cable but it seems it's only 4400 mah.

If the XTPower MP-1000 that has been mentioned on this forum could give enough juice, I'd buy one to dedicate to the HX Stomp. Otherwise, another option might be to buy a Donner DP-2 and use an existing 19 volt power bank I have to power it's 18 volt input and supply power to its 9 volt outputs.

As for the VU meter option, I may have a recorder similar to what you pictured that might give me that option.

Thanks again for the help and directing me to the right places on the forum.

One BoxKing power pack will only power one HX Stomp -

Plug in any other gear will yield noise

I use multiple power packs

ReniPerez

I had read elsewhere on the forum that separate power packs was recommended due to noise and I will use separate ones on the GP-10 and HX Stomp especially after admin's recommendation.

Nonetheless, today I ordered a couple of items from Joyo Technology to see if they might be effective against noise.  I ordered a JP-06 Power Noise Blocker ZGP and JP-06W Power Converter ZGPW which respectively are supposed to clean up noise in a power line and to convert USB 5-volt to clean 9-volt.  The latter only supplies up to 400 mah which is enough for a GP-10 but not an HX Stomp. 

I also tried a 5-volt to 9- and 12-volt converter that I had ordered a while back on Amazon.com on the HX Stomp using a 2-amp USB power bank I had and it worked!  I used a multimeter to check the polarity, voltage and amperage before hooking it up to make sure I wouldn't fry anything but it looks good.  Not sure how long it can power the HX Stomp for but I will test it and report back with results.  I may still end up getting the XTPower power bank to dedicate to the HX Stomp as it has a 9-volt output on it and wouldn't need additional conversion.

Below are the items purchased as listed on the JOYO Technology website:

http://joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_307.html

http://joyoaudio.com/en/product/show_308.html

ReniPerez

I just wanted to post an update on my search for a battery operated power solution to using an HX Stomp and GP-10 and the search is done. 

The BoxKing was excellent when using one or the other unit alone but when combined together a slight whining sound became evident.  On the other hand, the Strymon Ojai 30 was as quiet with both units in play as it was with just one or the other being powered.  The isolation on the Ojai's outputs proved themselves in this regard.  I even added other effects to the remaining outputs on the Strymon to see if I could bring up the noise factor and the noise signature stayed the same.  This alone will improve the sound in my home studio when recording particularly with the GP-10 as the Strymon was quieter than the power supply included by Boss with the GP-10.

On the battery powering side, it's a bit more kludgy powering the Strymon with a battery pack versus having the built-in battery in the BoxKing BK05.  I'm using an XTPower XT-20000QC2 which is a 20400 mah power bank that has a DC output that is switchable from 12, 15, 18, 20 and 24 volts.  In the 24 volt setting with an adaptor, it powers the Ojai with no problem even with all the outputs occupied though I have yet to see how long the battery will last when doing that.  Despite having to use the additional power bank, I'm happy with the Strymon and XTPower combination as I've now got something that's quieter when using mains as well as when on battery power.

Now to finally play some guitar.