KATANA- NICKO453's - KATANAMAN PRO EDITOR (Android)

Started by Nicko453, September 19, 2018, 03:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko453

New version of KatanaEditor available.

Not sure how much interest is out there still for Condor's extremely useful KatanaEditor, but I have taken the source code that Condor kindly made available, and have enhanced it in a few ways and created a new version.

Changes/Additions are:
1) some minor cosmetic changes made
2) fixed a few bugs
3) added around 10 new effects - SlowGear, Octave, Rotary, RingMod, AcousticGuitarSim, Limiter, Slicer, Vibrato, TWah, Phaser

I have not  made any changes to the sneaky amps functionality, or the patch saving/loading. Nor have I added any of the functionaity explicit to Version 2 of the Katana 100 firmware (eg Delay 2)

The new version (V2-5) is attached here for download. Installation is exactly as before. I am using a version naming convention of major version.minor version - bug fixes will be minor version changes, and significant new functionality will get new major version numbers.

I will be very interested to hear any feedback, bug reports etc. If there is enough interest overall, I will try and implement some, or all, of the remaining effects (I saved the most complicated ones for last !!).

I intend to do some more work on the app, including:
a) adding the Delay 2 functionality
b) enhancing the patch saving and loading (eg changing the order saved patches are viewed, and maybe including sub folder hierarchies)
c) adding further effects

I would like to give a big shout out to Condor for developing such a useful, and complex app - and for making the source available. Also to VTGearHead for his API documentation, and for his guidance on getting one of the many bugs in my code resolved.

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20234.0;attach=18177

GerdHammerling

Thanks for the updated version. I have just quickly tested it with my Samsung s7 edge + Katana 50 firmware ver.2 and didn't observe a reboot that I had with a previous version. Great!

DeatPanda

Had a crash when I clicked the patch button. Happened on first launch though. Seems to be working now.
Can you implement so that you can retrieve stored patches?

kz1m9w

Quote from:  GerdHammerling on September 19, 2018, 07:11:48 AM
Thanks for the updated version. I have just quickly tested it with my Samsung s7 edge + Katana 50 firmware ver.2 and didn't observe a reboot that I had with a previous version. Great!

I'm trying the version published today (9/19/2018) on a Samsung Galaxy S7 (not edge, but like it).

I'm getting no connection.

I seem to remember that only a specific OTG brand would work well with Samsung S series.  Can you please share what OTG brand/model you are using that is working for you?

Or if anyone can provide the post that indicated which one works on Galaxy S, that too would help.

Thank you!

admin

Quote from:  kz1m9w on September 19, 2018, 01:29:46 PM
I'm trying the version published today (9/19/2018) on a Samsung Galaxy S7 (not edge, but like it).

I'm getting no connection.

I seem to remember that only a specific OTG brand would work well with Samsung S series.  Can you please share what OTG brand/model you are using that is working for you?

Or if anyone can provide the post that indicated which one works on Galaxy S, that too would help.

Thank you!

Often you will need an official SamSung Galaxy S7 OTG Adapter
https://news.samsung.com/global/how-to-get-more-out-of-your-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edges-usb-connector

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-OTG-USB-Connector-White/dp/B01G00TWRK

kz1m9w

Quote from:  admin on September 19, 2018, 01:58:50 PM

Often you will need an official SamSung Galaxy S7 OTG Adapter
https://news.samsung.com/global/how-to-get-more-out-of-your-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edges-usb-connector

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-OTG-USB-Connector-White/dp/B01G00TWRK

Thank you so much.

By the way, I was able to get a different Android device connected and test out the functions on my Katana Artist amp (even with the generic OTG adapter I already own).  Although not all features worked, this is still great.  The most important features (to me) that do work right away are:

1)  It lets me access/enable/tweak the patch Noise Suppressor settings.
2)  It lets me perform a backup of patches (albeit, I couldn't get it to load back, so I'm assuming it backed them up).
3)  It lets me see the effects (name/setting/etc.).  At least once they are "on" it lets me see them.

I will go read the readme.txt and manuals/help etc. here in a bit.  The one thing right away that I could not figure out is this:  When I first connect it, I get a screen showing the MAIN amp settings (i.e. the exact values for channel's main knob settings - for example "Presence".  And that's great.  But once I chose anything else (like the Gate tab, or the Reverb for example), I could never figure out how to get it to again show that "main settings" page.  I'm probably just doing something incorrectly.  Anybody have any ideas on what I need to select to get the app to show the page that page - the one that shows the Prescence setting?

Regardless - excellent usefullness already.  Thanks to the creator and the one now picking it up.  Much appreciated and I'll plan to make a donation if that is ready to be received.

EDIT - I watched the video and learned what I needed to do to have the app show the main settings.  If you click on the "Amp" button once, you get the amp type selection and the chain selections.  You have to click on the "Amp" button a SECOND time to show those main settings (i.e. with presence for example).

edugg

Got a connection with a Samsung S7  android 7 (not edge) fiddle with it a little, but now it doesn't connect and reboots the phone.

Couldn't activate the fx either, had to turn the knobs on the amp and only then I could edit something. [don't know if it is whis way or not (:]

admin

Quote from:  edugg on September 19, 2018, 06:03:01 PM
Got a connection with a Samsung S7  android 7 (not edge) fiddle with it a little, but now it doesn't connect and reboots the phone.

Couldn't activate the fx either, had to turn the knobs on the amp and only then I could edit something. [don't know if it is whis way or not (:]

Id expect odd behavior with a Katana Artist

Its memory map is different enough,  due to the added Cab voice front panel controls (unique to the Katana  Artist) vs Kat 100

Nicko453

Hi All,

Some further notes on the KatanaEditor app ...

1) I have tested the app on Moto E2 (android 6) using OTG, Moto E4 (android 7) using OTG, Chuwi Hi10 tablet (android 7) using both OTG and full size USB.
2) the OTG adaptor I am using is just a very cheap ($1.75) generic one from e-bay
3) I have not really looked at the patch saving/loading aspects of the app yet - but that will be my next area of focus. Once you have saved a patch, you should just be able to tap on the patch file name to load that patch. However, I have personally had varying degrees of success when doing this. Watch this space !
4) I have found that the most reliable connection method is if you tell android to 'always associate this usb connection with the KatanaEditor app' (when the android pop up appears). Then subsequently, without having the app loaded, just plug in the usb cable. Android will then automatically load the app, and it usually connects to the amp within 5 or 10 seconds.(I am assuming that this does not preclude the usb port for being used for other purposes, and that android is smart enough to recognise the amp's unique usb id, but I could be wrong  ??? )
5) If the app & amp are not connecting, use the 'Message View' screen (from the menu - top right of screen). You should see the app sending outgoing messages every second or so. If not, using the menu once again, select 'Try Reconnect'. If you still don't see output strings being sent, then I think that android is blocking the app from using the usb port for some reason (I have definitely seen this after the app crashes, and then is reloaded). Killing and reloading the app should help. A normal connection sequence usually involves the app sending the output string 4 or 5 times before the amp eventually replies, and then all of the app settings are refreshed/uploaded from the amp.

Hope you find this of use.

Cheers,
Nick

Erjimipey

Hey, I am super happy and thankful you are doing this! I don't usually have a laptop with me to use Tone Studio. I've checked the new functionalities and they are working with my Huawei Honor 7X phone.
I'm looking forward to your implementation of patches compatibility, it'd be great to be able to download *.tsl patches and use them with the app. Then I'll have no need to use BTS again (including borrowing friend's laptops and stuff...).
Good work, mate, keep it up! And thanks again!

Nicko453

New update to KatanaEditor (V2.6)

I've attached a new version of KatanaEditor.

Change log:

• Fixed a bug which prevented some patch files from loading
  • Improved exception handling
  • Made the app sensitive to device orientation (landscape and portrait)
  • Added the ability to delete patch files
  • Patches are now listed in alphabetical order

Known Issues:

• I have seen some crashes when changing the orientation of the device (phone, tablet etc) whilst the app is running. Not sure why, and they are not common.
  • There may still be some issues loading patch files, especially ones created in the old version of the app. I think I have addressed all of these, but if you have a problem, let me know.
  • I have seen some patch files where the Reverb settings are all zeroed out - and consequently no sound from amp. Not sure why this happens. I will investigate further when I get time. In the meantime, it's best to check your Reverb params before you save a patch

New features being considered:

• Ability to create sub folders and store patches within them - think patches grouped by sets for live performance.
  • Integration with Google Drive to allow patches to be imported/exported/synced more easily
  • Implement Amp/Cabinet EQ
  • Implement Delay2
  • Means of reading or unpacking *.tsl files (challenging !)

Devices Yet To Be Implemented:

• Pitch Shifter, 
  • Harmonist,
  • Humaniser,
  • Parametric EQ,
  • Guitar Sim,
  • Wave Synth,
  • AC Processor,
  • Phaser 90E,
  • Flanger 117E,

Your feedback on this is welcome. Let me know if/when you find bugs and I will do my best fix them ASAP.

Cheers,
Nick

fificap

Thanks Nick,

I've tested quickly on my Samsung Galaxy S7 and it works fine with my Katana Head. I do not tested patch functionalites yet, but it connect fine with the original samsung OTG adapter, played with effect parameters, sneaky amp...

It is really a must have to take advantage of the Katana in all situation. I don't know why Boss do not provide such an app officially.

Thanks again for this tools.
Philippe

Erjimipey

Right now, everything is working for me! I love the landscape mode and the patches work well for me (Huawei Honor 7x, Android 8.0).
I'd love to be ablw to use .tsl files and appreciate your work dearly! Thanks a million!

vit3k

Erjimipey

Anything coming up this way? New effects or compatibilities? Everything is appreciated, really. Thanks a million!

Nicko453

Sorry, I've been pretty busy over the last couple of weeks and haven't done too much on the app. However, I have added some new functionality to allow the use of Set Lists (ie ordered list of songs mapped to patches). I actually used the app, and the set list functionality for a live performance last weekend - four sets, around 50 songs - and it worked pretty well. It is really cool to be able to just tap on the next song in the list and have the amp automatically set up ready to go - no pedal hopping or knob tweaking !

I'll upload the latest version when I get a chance.

Any preferences / votes as to which devices/effects to be developed next ?

N

admin

QuoteAny preferences / votes as to which devices/effects to be developed next

Compatibility with Katana firmware 2.04

Erjimipey

Quote from:  Nicko453 on October 22, 2018, 08:24:51 PM
Sorry, I've been pretty busy over the last couple of weeks and haven't done too much on the app. However, I have added some new functionality to allow the use of Set Lists (ie ordered list of songs mapped to patches). I actually used the app, and the set list functionality for a live performance last weekend - four sets, around 50 songs - and it worked pretty well. It is really cool to be able to just tap on the next song in the list and have the amp automatically set up ready to go - no pedal hopping or knob tweaking !

I'll upload the latest version when I get a chance.

Any preferences / votes as to which devices/effects to be developed next ?

N

Wow, that setlist option sounds great! I would love to have compatibility with the latest firmware (the delay/reverb option is nice) and also I would love to be able to use .tsl files.

Thanks a million Nicko543!

ATONESIR

Just want to chime in as a K50 noob who just loaded this app it works great as a way to access buttons and knobs on the tablet and phone. It's very easy to get into "trouble" with it however where I don't know what's happening after clicking a few things into red/orange/yellow.

Anyway, all my presets exported from the Boss app dont show up, so if there is another conversion step, please let me know. If I can change patches via tablet or phone, I'd be pretty happy.  Happy to test new .apk versions and report back to dev.

btw - I use cheap Rankle usb adapters (3/~$10 amazon) and they work fine.

admin

ATONESIR

Nicko453

Quote from:  ATONESIR on October 27, 2018, 11:14:58 AM

Anyway, all my presets exported from the Boss app dont show up, so if there is another conversion step, please let me know. If I can change patches via tablet or phone, I'd be pretty happy.  Happy to test new .apk versions and report back to dev.

Boss Tone Studio exports collections of patches as a .tsl file. These files appear to contain settings for every parameter for every effect (whether it is used or not) for every patch in the list, and are consequently quite large and complex. Currently the app can not read these files. 

The app stores each patch in its own file when you save your current settings.

I have had some success in converting BTS patches to the app by using BTS to save up to 8 of the patches in the amp's slots, then connecting the app to the amp, calling up each slot in turn, let the app read the current settings and then save them individually as a new patch. You have to be careful to make sure that the app has read all relevant settings (esp delay and reverb) and I'm not sure that it will read all of your colour settings. Quite frankly it is probably easier just to recreate the patch directly using the app and amp and save it.

Just a note on usability ... using an tablet mounted on my mic stand, I've previously used BTS to control the amp for two or three gigs now (4 sets), and more recently used the KatanaEditor for many rehearsals and one live club gig. BTS is much slower to load patches into the amp, and you have no practical way of 'tweaking' the settings - which is very frustrating. The app gives much snappier performance, and you can easily adjust settings on the fly (eg slight changes to gain or vol).

My goal is to keep improving the app to make it a robust, reliable, responsive tool for use in live performances.

alancarl

Quote from:  Nicko453 on October 31, 2018, 05:55:10 PM

Just a note on usability .... BTS is much slower to load patches into the amp, and you have no practical way of 'tweaking' the settings - which is very frustrating. The app gives much snappier performance, and you can easily adjust settings on the fly (eg slight changes to gain or vol).

My goal is to keep improving the app to make it a robust, reliable, responsive tool for use in live performances.

Real time tweaking...the key to unlocking the real potential in these great amps!
Thanks for all of your work Nicko!!
Al

Erjimipey

Hey Nicko, I am using a lot the parametric EQ effect lately when I have the chance to hook Fx Floorboard to my Katana. Do you think you can implement it on your app? I mainly use your app, just sometimes I have access to a laptop, so having this effect would allow me to fine tweak my channels. Believe it or not, I don't know how to use the graphic eq, what I mostly do is try numerical settings that work for me ib some patches and I try them with different amp styles...

Long story short, I use your app a lot and would like to know if implementing these things would be a hard work. No pressure, mate, just asking...

Thanks a million in advance!