1998 Video - Roland VS-840 Multitrack Recorder

Started by Kenmac, October 21, 2018, 09:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

This was posted last night on another website I frequent and it brought back some memories for me. It looks cheesy and dated now but in 1998 this was leading edge technology. I didn't have a VS-840 but I used to have a VS-880. I eventually moved up to a VS-1680 which I still have but I haven't used it for years. Everything's done on my computer now (obviously).   :)  Has anybody here owned (or still own) any of Rolands VS recorders?

"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

alexmcginness

still have my VS-880. Its a dust collector. It still works though and it has the 24 bit FX board installed
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

billbax

Good post.  I have a VS1880 and used to have a VS880, and totally swear by them if you are a recording guitarist.  MIDI sync is a bonus, unlike most multitrackers today. Switchable virtual track for different takes (384 in total), vari-speed, and internal effects.  I swapped out the stock op-amps NE5532 & UC4570 with OPA2134 throughout, and now the front-end input is very clean. There is a 30-page article on the op-amp swap, if anyone wants it.

For 'tape slogging' or tracking, a Roland VS is hard to beat. Most of my GK separate strings demos are recorded with the VS1880, as you can record six separate strings at once, and then switch through 16 versions and comp down a perfect take.

Overall the VS1180 is a great multitracker, although in handling it's beginning to feel a little dated.

Cheers,
Bill

VS1880 recording from 2003. Mixed on Cubase SX3 with 42 tracks in total.

aliensporebomb

I just cleaned out my studio yesterday and found my VS-840 upgraded to VS-840EX specs.  I keep meaning to copy the ZIP discs (if they still work) to my DAW for future release since some of those tunes might be kind of interesting.  I used the VS for a long time as a multi-effects unit for my guitar.  I'll keep it around since I used to use it as a mixing board for my old Mac with the SPDIF ins...
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

mercury1

I still have and use two VS2480's (one fully loaded and one is a practically new backup ) both have the removable drive caddies. Very tactile interface and high quality for 24bit 48k, love the flying faders in automix . Very productive , I will use them till they die and cry when they're gone
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010