How should I run my SY-300 with my Helix and FRFR?

Started by Rocco Crocco, August 31, 2018, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocco Crocco

I am using the SY300 into the FX loop of the Helix. Do you guys that have a Helix or similar device use an amp block or speaker block in the signal chain of the modeller, or if its best to just run the Boss unit into an empty Helix preset and stright to FoH (while adding desired EQ, ect if needed).

arkieboy

I run my VG99 into a separate input path on my Helix, sharing the final reverb block to glue the sounds together.

See https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23099.0
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

Guitar > SY-300 input
SY-300 guitar thru > Helix input
Helix L/R output > SY-300 Return L/R
Set the SY-300 global Return level to match the SY-300/Helix levels.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Rocco Crocco

Quote from: arkieboy on September 01, 2018, 02:03:01 AM
I run my VG99 into a separate input path on my Helix, sharing the final reverb block to glue the sounds together.

See https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23099.0

Do you have an amp and/or speaker block on the same path as the synth to goose the signal?

Rocco Crocco

Quote from: gumtown on September 01, 2018, 02:30:08 AM
Guitar > SY-300 input

Do you have an amp and/or speaker block on the same path as the synth to goose the signal? There is no multiquote feature so I had to ask you both separately.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: gumtown on September 01, 2018, 02:30:08 AM
Guitar > SY-300 input

There's only mono return on SY-300
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 01, 2018, 04:52:25 AM
There's only mono return on SY-300
yes.. I forgot..
what about SY-300 L/R out into Helix Return (1/2 or 3/4) after the amp sim.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Synthetica

I hadn't used my SY-300 for a while and just recently got a Helix and a Powercab Plus. I decided to hook up the SY-300 to the Helix and Holy mother of sound !!!.  I have the Guitar into the Helix. Helix FX1 Send going into SY-300, Sy-300 out to FX1 return. Helix L6 Link out to Powercab Plus. Helix XLR outs to a mixer with JBL active monitors. I tried the with the ISS Flyby Preset on the Helix.

Add a FX1 block and drop it down to a new path in the Helix. Set the output of that Path to go to the Helix XLR outs (this sound goes to the mixer and the monitors)  Set the Output of the regular 2A path to go to the Digital out which sends the regular guitar path to the Powercab. Added a Volume Gain block  on the SY-300 Path in front of the FX1. Set the SY-300 to the Phased Strings preset. Added a Parametric EQ block after the FX1 block to tame the SY-300 with a bit of  Hi-cut. Strum a guitar chord and it sounds like I'm playing an orchestra. I'm gonna have fun with this.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Synthetica on January 20, 2019, 09:07:32 AM
I hadn't used my SY-300 for a while and just recently got a Helix and a Powercab Plus. I decided to hook up the SY-300 to the Helix and Holy mother of sound !!!.  I have the Guitar into the Helix. Helix FX1 Send going into SY-300, Sy-300 out to FX1 return. Helix L6 Link out to Powercab Plus. Helix XLR outs to a mixer with JBL active monitors. I tried the with the ISS Flyby Preset on the Helix.

Add a FX1 block and drop it down to a new path in the Helix. Set the output of that Path to go to the Helix XLR outs (this sound goes to the mixer and the monitors)  Set the Output of the regular 2A path to go to the Digital out which sends the regular guitar path to the Powercab. Added a Volume Gain block  on the SY-300 Path in front of the FX1. Set the SY-300 to the Phased Strings preset. Added a Parametric EQ block after the FX1 block to tame the SY-300 with a bit of  Hi-cut. Strum a guitar chord and it sounds like I'm playing an orchestra. I'm gonna have fun with this.

Thank you so much for this. I got a sy-300 coming in few days and I have a helix floor as well I wanna use with it and was wondering how to hook it up the best.

arkieboy

Quote from: Rocco Crocco on September 01, 2018, 02:58:11 AM
Do you have an amp and/or speaker block on the same path as the synth to goose the signal?

No.  In this configuration I only use my VG for acoustic guitars and synths. Aim is a pristine signal path. 
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4