Best DAW to work with TriplePlay

Started by PeterPan8, July 05, 2018, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterPan8

With TriplePlay (TP) came Studio One Artist OEM. That DAW cannot import third-party VSTs.

What's the best (and cheapest) DAW that could be used with TP?

Thanks  :)

admin

Quote from: PeterPan8 on July 05, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
With TriplePlay (TP) came Studio One Artist OEM. That DAW cannot import third-party VSTs.

What's the best (and cheapest) DAW that could be used with TP?

Thanks  :)

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

Presonus One DOES work with third party VSTs

FWIW -
20 best DAW software apps in the world today
https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-20-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905

Reaper may be the lowest cost DAW.

PeterPan8

The version that came with TP is Studio One Artist OEM.

The only tabs present under "Options / Locations" are: User Data - File Types - Sound Sets - Instrument Library.

There is no location to install new VST Plugins, as stated on Presonus Website on where to put VSTs:
Windows users: From within Studio One navigate to the Files/Options/Locations/VST Plug-ins

EDIT:
On the Website, I found the following info:

What is NOT included with Studio One 3 OEM Artist are: 

Celemony Melodyne Essentials Demo [30-DayTrial] is not available for Studio One 3 Artist OEM, this is a custom integration for customers who purchase a PreSonus hardware bundle or purchases of Studio One 3 from our website.

3rd Party VST Integration
So, NO 3rd party VST!

GuitarBuilder

Reaper would be another option.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

PeterPan8

Presonus announced Studio One 5 which now includes the possibility to add third-party VSTs.
Now on sale on Bestservice.

I've never used Studio One (or barely fiddle with the version included in TP), which at the time was not satisfactory. What about that new version 5?

Anyone tried it? (or maybe it's too recent.)

admin

Quote from: PeterPan8 on July 09, 2020, 01:46:54 PM
Presonus announced Studio One 5 which now includes the possibility to add third-party VSTs.
Now on sale on Bestservice.

I've never used Studio One (or barely fiddle with the version included in TP), which at the time was not satisfactory. What about that new version 5?

Anyone tried it? (or maybe it's too recent.)

Prior version support third party VST

StudioOne DAW MIDI Implementation is weak vs Cubase , which ive recently migrated back to Cubase for its latest features 

FishmanSoftware

In my opinion, the paid version of Studio One is a solid DAW. But the version that was (previously) bundled with TriplePlay does not support any third-party plugin other than TriplePlay, as pointed out above.
Note that Studio One uses single channel MIDI tracks, which prevents it from working in a way that is ideal for TriplePlay, which transmits on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously. Studio One provides a macro feature that creates a collection of tracks as a workaround, but I always found that clunky. As I just stated in a recent related thread, I would recommend Logic for Mac, and Cubase for Windows (or Mac) if you can afford it. But another fine choice that is more affordable is Reaper.
Also be aware, Pro Tools for Windows will currently not work with the TriplePlay plugin, FYI.

shawnb

I still use SONAR, mostly out of habit... 

Pretty happy with the current version thru Bandlab.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

PeterPan8

This post is now more than a year old (time flies!) Here's a 2021 update from when I first asked the question about DAWs.

After trying out some DAW demos, and finally ended up with Reaper. It's very complete and does a decent job, but I'm not always satisfied with the results. Every other time when I load Reaper with TriplePlay, Reaper will crash, and I (virtually) loose all my TP presets. I then have to rescan all banks, which is a pain in the a.... Now, my question to you guys who are using TriplePlay with a DAW:

What DAWs, beside Reaper, have you used that work without flaws (if possible) with TriplePlay?

PS: For those who don't know me, I came to vGuitar forums about 4 years ago to find a way to migrate from classical guitar to synth guitar. And thanks to guys like Elantric, Shawnb and others, I got the Godin Custom TriplePlay guitar (which Godin don't make anymore.... shame!)   For the past 3 years, I've been playing literally with my TP and got many fine virtual instruments and synth, like Kontakt (full), Omnisphere, and others. I simply LOVE playing my TP guitar. Today, my goal is to create some music videos using my gears. And one of these days, I'll come back on vGuitarforums to "show off" my stuff!   ;D

admin

Shawnb likes Sensomusic Usine Hollyhock, made custom Tripleplay templates

They changed the name of the parent company, results in why few know about it
BrainModular Usine Hollyhock5
https://www.brainmodular.com/usine.php

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12087.msg87942#msg87942

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6296.0

germanicus

I use Sonar. No issues related to Tripleplay.

It sees my Tripleplay as a Midi input source.

I can record each string to its own track or all to a single track.

It can also run the Tripleplay VST app, but you do not need to (I never use the Tripleplay app for hosting VSTs).

For live performance I use Cantabile.

My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

PeterPan8

I thought Sonar was discontinued with Cakewalk. Yet at $99 per month for Sonar Artist is a bit steep for my "retired" budget.

BTW, Nice album! What flute instrument did you use on track 8, Fronts?

szilard

Sonar has been continued as Cakewalk by Bandlab. Now it's free, but you have to register annually.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

I haven't tried triplePlay with it.