GT-1000 - New Firmware Wish List

Started by Elantric, May 08, 2018, 07:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAH

Input Level meter on the menu screen where you can adjust the input level.

Knob target for input level.

Stompbox save locations for speaker cabinet/mic settings

Option to separate cab/mic from output in the effects chain.

cab/mic parameters as assign targets.

jonnyrock

When editing an effect it would be great to hit the switch that the effect is on and have it be the highlighted effect instead of having to use the select knob. This used to work on the GT100.

John.Doe

I need more adequate amp matching (output select). Now it changes sound (eq? the sound is very toppy) significantly even with disabled amp sim, makes difficult to set it up for stomp box mode and in general is not OK to me with amps i've tried (vox, jcm 900, peavey 5150).
Maybe a tool for creating custom Output Select.
Maybe a flat transparent Output Select mode.
Katana 112 : Vox NT15H-G2/V112NT-G2 : BOSS GT-1000 : Boss GT-100 : Boss GT-1 : LP Standard 2008 : Fender Strat MIM : PRS SE 22

gluve95

Make it do you can set up Bank up and bank down  plus 1 and minus 1 preset . But when you pus both you can bank up bank down or select 1-5

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26699627/

Jim Roseberry wrote>

Don't know if it would be possible...
But an option to disable the Looper... and be able to use that RAM for loading additional IRs would be wonderful!

If we're physically/permanently limited to loading four user IRs, how about developing a VST plugin similar to Fractal's "Cab Lab"?
This VST plugin would allow quick auditioning of IRs... and allow mixing of several IRs to create (multi mic/position) "composite" IRs.

If possible, more AIRD Amp models.

I'd like to see a Threshold parameter added to the Compressors.

BTS for smart-devices needs to scale the UI to fit available screen space.
Having to menu-dive (IMO) defeats the whole purpose.
ie: iPAD Pro has plenty of screen-space.

Biggest request:
Separate the Cab blocks from the physical outputs.
This would solve numerous issues... and allow tremendous flexibility using all four Cabs/IRs simultaneously.
It would also allow post-cab processing (other than Global EQ).

Something like "Snap-shots" or "Scenes" would be nice.
With instantaneous patch changes, we can work around not having them... but it would make the GT-1000 more flexible (especially for playing live).

The Axe-FX III has four "Channels" for each block.
Using "Scenes", you can switch between four completely different setting for that block.
This allows a single patch to cover a tremendous variety of both amp/cab and processing.

Headless68

USB audio insert post effects chain on Mac (if GT is used as sound card your DAW output all goes through the effects chain - not very useful)

iamdave

Add a Hi watt amp. Such a staple of 70's rock.

roachone

Anyone else know IF Boss is going to do a major update? Anyone here have first hand knowledge with Boss Roland on this?

Monkeyboy23

My wish is for the Chorus block to have the same algorithms as using chorus in an FX block... seems weird that I can't use Prime Chorus or the CE-1 algorithms in the Chorus block

admin

Quote from: Monkeyboy23 on October 04, 2018, 03:48:15 PM
My wish is for the Chorus block to have the same algorithms as using chorus in an FX block... seems weird that I can't use Prime Chorus or the CE-1 algorithms in the Chorus block

FWIW - here is whats available on the GT-1000 Chorus block

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27391030/
MixMinisterMike

Hopefully a 1.5 or 2.0 firmware unlocks some functionality in assignments and the display UI.
-Ability to set LED color preferences globally. It's so cool that BOSS lets you change colors (wish I could on Helix), but it's per-patch. UGH!
-A real stomp mode, not just a footswitch assignment screen that you have to bend down to enter.
-Increase patch font on the screen that shows the footswitch assignments.
-More IR storage (might be limited by storage space, or maybe the current 4 IR limit is because they had to get a temporary solution out around launch and didn't have time to implement a better one)
-Allow me to enter/exit edit mode easier, or with a footswitch

The screen is both good and bad. My Helix LT and HX Stomp screens can be unreadable in sunlight. Headrush too. Fractal's AX-8/FX-8 and the GT-1000 all have screens that are fully readable in direct sunlight. That's awesome! But the BOSS screen is so blotchy and has poor contrast (at least mine did), even after adjusting the contrast in the global settings. Plus the default screen pages are pretty weird - Large Patch Name, Large Patch Number with smaller Name, Footswitch assignment with really small Patch Name, and a useless "view" of the signal chain that you can't edit from. Why not just make that last page enter edit mode?

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27432454/
QuoteElantric said: ↑
I agree - I find the tones available from GT-1000 to be at the very top tier available today

The big hurdle for me is wrapping my brain on how to effectively use GT-1000 live, (from my vantage point) due to paradigm "omissions" - no stomp mode, no looper mode, no Setlist Mode

If they could put all the GT-1000 sounds inside a Headrush Pedal Board with all the same Headrush Control Interface - that would be my dream.

Eventually I might figure out an ideal live use for GT-1000 - I think Glen DeLaune got the best setup - but observe it required adding a MIDI MOOSE

JCW308 wrote>
I hear ya. I would gladly give up one foot switch for PATCH/MANUAL (performance) mode. Also missing for me are:

- In pedal mode performance view with 1-2-3-4-5 why no patch names in the blocks? Even just 4 letters each would work: 1-CLN1 2-DIRT 3-LEAD 4-AMBI 5-CLN2

- In performance view, why no outlines around active effects (on the screen)?

- Why no "Press and hold" for foot switches?

Other than those items, I am completely happy!

fabadder

One thing that I find really annoying is when you change some of the parameters using the app, it makes terrible popping noises.  I'd love to see a little more development of the app and a separate one that works better with the ipad.  With a much larger screen, it seems they could make it more like the desktop software with the ability to move blocks by dragging them.

DML

Quote from: fabadder on December 08, 2018, 11:10:39 AM
One thing that I find really annoying is when you change some of the parameters using the app, it makes terrible popping noises.  I'd love to see a little more development of the app and a separate one that works better with the ipad.  With a much larger screen, it seems they could make it more like the desktop software with the ability to move blocks by dragging them.

Wow!! What are the parameters you're changing, when it makes those popping noises?
I use the app (on iPhone) a lot but there are no popping sounds.
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-boss-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor.1905672/page-334#post-27647920

roachone said: ↑

"I don't expect constant updates from Boss or even new models but it would be nice if they would address the usability issues." Exactly how I feel. Boss is behaving about as I expected. I'm pretty disappointed in them not fixing the usability issues also. Some have been addressed and I can live with it the way it is, but in the 1k range I shouldn't have to. Hopefully Boss is working on it.

JCW308 wrote>

I hope they're watching and working on these issues. The top things for me would be some way to show when an effect is on or off on the screen when in performance mode (stomp mode) and the ability to assign "hold down" functions for tuner, tap tempo, stomp mode, etc...to any switch.

loac

2 wisches :

Music streaming from a smartphone (or other device ) to the Gt1000  via bluetooh for jamming without additional hardware and cables... :)

When copying a patch to another patch the Led assignation should follow (is it an issue?) 
  ???

PAH

Some of this a repost, but here is my consolidated wish list in priority order.

Thanks to Boss for addressing some of my old wish list items.

Firmware Wishlist:

1) Setting for how stompbox changes are saved: manual (like pre-1.20 firmware) or auto (like 1.20 and later)... or just go back to manual.
2) 2 or 3 bass amps and cabinets - a Mark Bass stack with an 8x10 cab would be awesome.
3) The play screen that shows footswitch assignments should highlight the switches that are "On", current patch number, etc.  This would make it easier to associate what is on the screen with the actual switches since the screen blocks aren't directly in line with the physical switches.
4) The play screen that shows footswitch assignments should show patch names for the 1 - 5 switch assignments (or a short name the user creates)
5) When on the play screen that shows footswitch assignments, if the user hits bank up/down the bottom row on the screen should dynamically show the patch names of the bank being navigated to.
6) Each patch should have settings for what to display in the play screen that shows the footswitch assignments. Auto would show what is currently shown (plus patch name for 1 - 5). But the user should be able to override with custom labels. Or if full editing is too much, at least select from a good list of "usage" labels (intro, outro, verse, prechorus, chorus, bridge, solo, etc.; and clean, crunch, distortion, lead, ambient, boost, etc.).
7) Remember what play screen was selected across power cycles.
8)Knob target for input level.
9) Knob target choices for Global Eq low cut and high cut.
10) Allow the cabs to be moved anywhere in the chain without the outputs moving with them.  This would allow better signal routing flexibility, especially when mixing a path that wants a cab and a path that doesn't want a cab (e.g. electric guitar through an amp and cab mixed with acoustic sim with no amp/cab), setup one cab that applies to the main and sub outputs, etc.
11) Stompbox save locations for speaker cabinet/mic settings
12) Add variants of Patch Increment, Patch Decrement, Bank Up, Bank Down, and the various Tap Tempos that support hold for Tuner. They should keep the current versions that don't, too, since some will auto-repeat if you hold them down.  This could free up CTL3 but still give foot access to the tuner.
13) A control function option for looper stop / hold for clear.

Android App Wishlist:
1) Landscape support for tablets, Chromebooks, etc.
2) Not needed to repair every time you run the app
3) Ability to move the app to an SD card

bassinprogress

What I would like to have:

- Polyphonic Tuner with customizable pitch for every string, or a bass tuner setting like the Polytune.
- Bass amps, cabinets and overdrive/distortions.
- Movable cabs separated from the output, to allow mixing miked and di outputs.

WarriorSoul

Please add a shortcut to navigate between the Preset (P) patches and User (U) patches.

It takes too much effort having to go up or down from say U25 to P25.

A shortcut function is already available in the BossToneStudio interface but we need a shortcut on the hardware too.

faraldi

Here are a couple...

- While in button display mode:  In a live setting, perhaps Boss developers can program the unit to where, if you hold down the footswitch for a couple of seconds, the effect that is assigned to that switch would come up so that you can edit on the fly.  Would be nice to have those active blocks show in that display as well.

- Not a huge thing but I'd like to see a third distortion block added in the next update.  Two is good.  Three is great.

- Tap tempo and tuner on the same switch (hold down for tuner).

loac

For next firmware, Is there a possibility to record the GT1000 connected to an IPAD when using a Lightning to Usb camera adapter ?
I will enjoy to be able to record with an Ipad daw (garage band, cubasis i.e.)
Thanks for advice
Loic

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28156428/
danelectro wrote>
THIS!!!...is my biggest gripe about the GT-1000. The most useful home screen on the GT-1000 is totally useless to me because the Patch Name and Patch Number are so tiny that they cannot be read from a standing position. Its fine if I'm sitting at my desk creating patches, however I'm not usually sitting at my desk when I'm playing a gig. There is a lot of useful information presented on this screen, however the Patch Name and Number are in characters measuring 1.5mm tall

Consequently, I'm stuck using one of the the dumbed-down screens. Here the Patch Name and Number measure 12mm tall. Easy to see, but there's no other information presented:

or... if I want to be able to read the patch number from across the stage without my glasses, I can use the large-print screen which has the patch number in characters that measure 32mm tall. Again, there is no other information of value on this screen

Here is a Photoshop'd version of what I would prefer to see. Simply scrunch the button graphics down just a little bit and make some room at the top so that the Patch Name and Number can be enlarged such that they can be read from 5-6 feet away:

I use a few dozen different patches at a gig and the effects assigned to the bottom row of buttons varies from patch to patch. I would love to glance at the display to see the function of each button within a patch. Instead, I have no choice other than to use one of the large-print home screens at a gig so that I can see what patch I'm on.

I've bitched about this a couple of times on the forum since I bought my GT-1000 back in June of last year. If anybody has a connection to Boss and is able to pass this request on to them, I'm certain that MANY users would appreciate it.

I also own a Helix, which has a well thought out interface. Between the display and the scribble strips for each button, its easy to see exactly what's going on with each patch. I would use it in a heartbeat rather than the GT-1000, however I find the GT-1000's amp models to sound superior to those of Helix. Several times I've gone back and spent time with the Helix trying to achieve tones that sound as good as those I'm getting from my GT, but each time I fall back to the GT. I think the amp models in the GT-1000 are outstanding. I've always been a tube amp snob, yet for the past six months, I've been using the GT-1000 with a pair of FRFRs exclusively. My tube amps are collecting dust because this setup sounds so good. Tone-wise, the GT-1000 is awesome, but unfortunately the user interface feels very antiquated. If this unit had a slick interface, I think it would have the potential to put a big dent in the Helix market.

PAH

My latest wishlist.  Mostly a repost, but have added a few things, consolidated a few things, and elaborated on a few things.

GT-1000 Firmware Feature Requests:

(1) Firmware v1.20 and later for the GT-1000 immediately auto saves any changes to "stompbox" parameters to all patches that use the corresponding "stompbox." With earlier versions of firmware the user had to press the write button to save changes, even for stompbox parameters. I don't like the auto saving. I've accidentally messed up my patches several times now, by experimenting with parameters and then later realizing some were stompbox parameters. Then, I have to restore from a backup to revert back to what I previously had. Please either go back to requiring "write" or add a system setting to select between auto-save and requiring write.

(2) Add a few bass amps and bass speaker cabinets.

(3) The play screen that shows footswitch assignments can use a few enhancements to make it even more useful:

(a) should highlight the switches that are "On", current patch number, etc.  This would make it easier to associate what is on the screen with the actual switches since the screen blocks aren't directly in line with the physical switches.

(b) should show patch names for the 1 - 5 switch assignments (or a short name the user creates). 

(c) if the user hits bank up/down the bottom row should dynamically show the patch names (or short names) of the bank being navigated to.

(d) the user should be able to override the existing labels with custom labels. If full label editing is too much, at least be able to select from a good list of "usage" labels (intro, outro, verse, prechorus, chorus, bridge, solo, break, etc.; and clean, acoustic, piezo, crunch, distortion, lead, rhythm, ambient, boost, etc.). 

(e) The patch number/name displayed at the top of the play screen that shows footswitch assignments should be bigger, so you can read it while standing.  You could eliminate the assign numbers from the display to make room for a larger font for the patch number/name.

(4) When the user presses bank up or bank down, the GT enters patch select mode and footswitches 1 - 5 are temporarily mapped to patch select 1 - 5, which is awesome.  It would be even better if there was a Current Bank control function that would enter patch select mode without changing bank, and bank up, bank down, and tuner would get temporarily mapped in addition to just patch select 1 - 5.  This would allow the user to map Current Bank and 9 other things of their choice to the footswitches, and still be able to navigate patches and get to the tuner.

(5) The GT-1000 currently supports two levels of LED brightness as a global setting.  If it is possible to get more levels of brightness, it would be nice if the user could choose from two levels of intensity for each color within the patches, and the global setting increased / decreased the intensity of both those levels.  For example, if there were 3 levels of brightness for each color,  Patches could have a dim and a bright version of each color. With global intensity set to low, dim would use intensity 1, and bright would use intensity 2, but if the global intensity was set to high, dim would be intensity 2, and bright would be intensity 3.  This would allow a user to use a dim color for an effect that is off, and the bright version for the effect being on, and the global intensity would still adjust the entire unit based on the lighting/darkness of the environment.

(6) Remember what play screen was selected when powering down, so it resumes with that play screen when powered back up.

(7) Add Knob target choices for Global EQ Low Cut and Global EQ High Cut.

(8 ) Add a Knob target for input level.

(9) Currently, the speaker simulators are bound to the main/sub outputs.  This is convenient for users that connect to different types of equipment regularly, because they can just change the output select and the speaker simulator will enable/disable in each patch appropriately.  However, for users that use full-range flat-response systems it is quite limiting.  Speaker simulators bound to the outputs prevent the following:

(a) mixing a path that has a speaker simulation with a path that doesn't have a speaker simulation (e.g. electric guitar through an amp and speaker mixed with acoustic simulation that has no amp/speaker, or guitar through an amp and speaker mixed with a synth sound from a Boss SY-300 in an effects loop that has no amp/speaker) and sending that mixed signal to both the main and sub outs.

(b) common speaker simulator to both main and sub outs

(c) reverb/delay after the speaker simulation to both main and sub outs

(d) 2 amps in parallel, each with their own speakers, mixed and sent to both main and sub outs

(e) for using a non-speaker IR that might want to be early in the chain

(f) placing the looper after the speaker so the looper playback is not affected by patch changes and having the looper playback to both main and sub outs. 

I'd suggest adding a speaker mode parameter (within the patch) that is shared by the 4 speaker simulators.  The modes could be called "Auto" and "Manual", or "Main+Sub" and "1+2".  Auto or Main+Sub mode, would be exactly like it currently is.  Manual or 1+2 mode would:

(a) rename the speaker simulators to SP1 and SP2 (with the L, R, or LR suffix)

(b) allow the speaker simulators to be moved freely within the effects chain, separately from the output branches

(c) Output Select would have no effect on the speaker simulators. 

The global EQs and any EQ or other modifications made by Output select would still take place at the outputs.  This would solve all of the above limitations.

(10) Allow the tuner to be "moved" to input, return 1, or return 2.  This is useful for people who use the FX returns as additional inputs for alternate instruments.  On the tuner display there should be a knob to adjust the location.  This parameter should be in the Master block so it can be saved as part of a patch, and also available as an assign target.

(11) Add Stompbox save locations for speaker cabinet/mic settings

(12) Add a variety of control functions that have hold for tuner: Patch Increment/Tuner, Patch Decrement/Tuner, Bank Up/Tuner, Bank Down/Tuner, Delay Tap (1-4)/Tuner, and BPM Tap/Tuner.  These would perform the primary function if tapped and toggle the tuner on/off if held down for some period of time.  This could free up CTL3 but still give foot access to the tuner.

(13) A control function option for Looper Stop/Clear.  Tap to stop.  Hold to clear.

(14) Currently if there is no amp enabled in the signal path, the speaker simulation is bypassed, even if output select is set to recording and the speaker type is set to something other than original.  Please change this so, the speaker simulation can be used even if no amp is in the signal path; "Original" should map to no speaker if there is no amp, but the other speakers should affect the sound.

BTS for GT-1000 Android App Feature Requests:

(1) Landscape support for tablets, Chromebooks, etc.

(2) Eliminate the need to re-pair GT-1000 and Android device every time you run the app

(3) Setting the application attributes to allow moving the app to an SD card 

Frank

SteveO

Add external MIDI control for the looper functions. The only one available now is "play level". Please add start/stop, record, clear, etc.

Something else nice would be MIDI sync to sync loops to the beat for use with a Beatbuddy pedal.