GP10 used with an acoustic guitar as a DI?

Started by Pimado, April 21, 2018, 02:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pimado

Does anybody use the GP10 with an acoustic guitar as a DI?

Majiken

Hi, if you mean playing an acoustic guitar into the GP10 directly through the 1/4" jack without modeling, yes I do.  In fact, I put everything from a mandolin to bass guitar through it, with very satisfying results.

I am a bit confused when you say DI; I understand DI as a balanced/symmetrical signal with either 1/4" tip/ring/sleeve or XLR output. The GP10 has unsymmetrical 1/4" tip/sleeve outputs, and cannot be formally used as a typical DI box.  You can, of course, significantly amplify your line signal to the mixer with it.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

tacman7

Or digital input to the DAW, Direct Injection into digital realm, yeah that's the ticket.

Well, haven't actually did that yet. If it's only analog input then it wouldn't be any of the 6 inputs channels but it would be the stereo input 7-8, right?

Cups

I just put a pickup on an old Harmony and am planning on using the GP as a preamp.  Bet it will sound great.

Cups

I dialed in the GP-10 as an acoustic preamp and it sounds great. I used the Full Range amp sim and dialed in a little direct sound (which I forgot you can do with the GP-10.
Awesome.
Next step is trying it at gig volumes though. We'll see.

Cups

Did a very small low volume gig with the acoustic. Been gigging for over twenty years and do my fair share of solo gigs. I always used an electric. Just a comfort thing I guess- anyway: it worked and sounded amazing. Next test is a bigger , louder gig.
Funny how playing acoustic has become a revelation.
Now to figure out how to set up a Gk pickup on it too without drilling holes. Tried double sided tape and it didn't work for me.

Cups

Gigged the acoustic in bigger venues a couple of times. Love the GP-10. So versatile.

dreamsinger

I'm working on it. I had a quasi acoustic guitar built, looks and feels acoustic but thin body. Had GraphTech Hexpander and Acoustiphonic modules installed. I'm not thrilled with the sound I'm getting from the GP10 compared to my VG8EX but I'm guessing that I haven't figured out how to setup the GP10 yet. Not being able to use the patch editor with my Linux desktop probably isn't helping.