GR-55 - Midi Pedal for GR-55, GP-10?

Started by jcifuentes, February 26, 2018, 12:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcifuentes

Hi, I'm searching for an inexpensive midi pedal to switch on/off effects on the Gr-55. i came accross the Bugera FSB106pedal that allegedly doubles as a midi pedal. Has anyone tried it? or has info. on it? appreciated. $50 sounds like a good deal.

GR-55/ GP-10, Bugera V-55, TC Helicon harmonizer,

admin

GR-55 has a 5 pin MIDI input

available options are here

MIDI Foot Controller comparison
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12355.0

GP-10 has no 5 pin MIDI input ( scream at Roland / Boss to never do that again - in 2018 GP-10 is their best Guitar to MIDI system - but who would know?)
must jump through hoops  - the PrimovaSound MIDX-20 is the answer for most
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

If you enjoy linux programming
the Raspberry PI is another option to provide a working GP-10 5 pin MIDI input
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12067.0

gumtown

Can't find any midi specs on the Bugera FSB106 or the TRIREC amp.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jcifuentes

Thanks, this is a start... I'll look into these suggested midi pedals. That's very helpful.

My next question: Is the Gr-55, for example, limited on how many (global), mods or effects can be called out on a given patch.
I know the GR-55 has built-in Ctrl, EXp pedal toggle function, Exp switch function. Ideally, with the midi pedal, I would like to be able to set up ON/OFF: Delay, Amp Solo, Amp gain & Chorus. On some of my individual patches.

In the past, as a compromise, I have combined (via assigns) some of these into one control, but I'm really looking to have dedicated switches (via midi). Is that at all possible?? And yes, I would also like to keep things simple so a midi pedal, if capable, would fit the bill.

Thank you for your anticipated counsel!

GR-55, GP-10, US-20, Filter/Buffer subsonic filter w/master effect loop(great), TC-Helicon Harmony G, Strat GC-1, Parker Fly with built-in GK-3 (Custom made).

mmmmgtr

All 8 assigns can be linked to individual outboard CC  switches from a MIDI controller.  The GR-55 responds to a long list of CC numbers.  They are documented in the MIDI Implementation chart in the back of the manual.

jcifuentes

Thanks for the reply mmmmgtr. Ok,
so I looked at the Midi Implementation chart pg 94,  and I see Program change (true#), but do not see the program change numbers for "Assign off/on for example. Could you or anyone reading this give me a step by step example using a simple 8 channel midi pedal (non- system exclusive). I'm guessing I have to program the GR-55, per patch to do this? an example would be useful.
I truly appreciate the guidance..

gumtown

If you are using a simple 8 channel midi pedal, then it will most likely only send program change from 01 to 08.
This will only cause the GR-55 to change patches U01:1, U01:2, U01:3, U02:1, U02:2, U02:3, U03:1, U03:2.

I would recommend "writing or saving" you favourite 8 patches to these GR-55 patch locations.
The GR-55 can not use Patch Change to control effects, only to change patch.

If the Midi foot controller does control change CC# instead, then the GR-55 won't change patch, but you can use the GR-55 "Assigns" to change effect parameters.
Assigns have to be programmed for each patch in the GR-55

All depending on type/brand controller you have.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jcifuentes

Thanks Gumtown,  then what I would need is a midi foot controller that sends CC# instead. just need to control effects on/off via the "Assigns"...

Thank you so much for the prompt and clear response. Now the question is where can I find the most affordable option? :)
Best,
Jaime

jcifuentes

Based on some recommendations, I found a fairly inexpensive midi controller that appears to do both cc (Continuous controller) and PC (Program changes). It is the DMC Ground Control Midi Foot Controller-. Anyone using it or have some knowledge about it?
Trying to narrow my search here.
Best,

mmmmgtr

Rocktron MIDI Mate is an excellent choice.

plexified

Keep in mind many Multi Effect Pedal Boards or Consoles have midi In/Out and a complete MIDI compliment to control other devices. Usually the older the less expensive. You should be able to score something in the $100 dollar zone used. For example a ZOOM G7.1ut . 

It will Par to patch changes stock with bank up and down and store patch memory. It will send CC#'s for the control pedal and its on and off. Four switches in "stomp box mode". As well as two more buttons to assign to whatever you want. It also sounds real good as a multi effect or distortion for the GR-55 guitar out signal. It has AUX in so you can use one set of stereo outputs, or Headphones. Very versatile.

Need more go with the ZOOM G9.2tt, PODvLIVEvXT, Digitech GNX4 Boss GT100 etc. You get more bang for your buck and a back up rig, or extended rig with "Guitar out". Or just wait for a  FC300 or FCB1010 with an UNI chip. Many options if you take that into consideration.

I guess you have to decide what you want to accomplish, but $75 to $100 is doable for patch change, 5 control buttons and another expression pedal, at the very least , the 'need more' category also if you keep your eyes peeled on Craigs List.