GT-1000 - User Reviews

Started by admin, January 25, 2018, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DML

Just about two weeks ago I bought the GT-1000. Used the Kemper Profiler for two years now, exclusively.
And last week I sold both my Kemper's  ;D
This is my live board now:

Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26471882/

Will Chen (Frugal Guitarist) wrote>
Got the GT-1000 on Friday and wanted to take a few days to offer my first impressions both as a standalone unit and in with some minor comparisons to the Fractal AX8, so here goes...

First up, I love the physical design here, it's got a sleek look with a nice big screen and feels very solid. By moving away from the larger switches Boss has traditionally used, they were able to squeeze in 10 footswitches despite it's relatively small size.

I must say, many of the features of the GT-1000 read like an AX8 user wish list. Dual amps, the amount of assigns, signal chain flexibility, and ability to split the stereo effects loop into 2 mono loops, USB audio...all make it an extremely flexible unit which should tick the boxes for most usage scenarios. But ultimately, the quality of amp models and effects is what makes or breaks these units.

Amp Models

Boss has touted its AIRD preamps as breakthrough tech and so many here had in depth theories about this being some type of dynamic convolution engine. IMHO, it's just their new marketing term for amp modeling. But does the hype pay off? Boss was wise using the X -HI Gain in their first user preset as IMHO it's the best of the new MDP based Advanced Amps. Excellent note separation and dynamic response capable of covering a wide range of gain scenarios. Longer term, I could see myself using this amp solely for all my distorted amp tones. The X-CRUNCH amp sounds a bit too dark and even tweaking EQ I wasn't able to get a sound I really bonded with. The X-MODDED shows some promise as well, but something about the X-HI GAIN just really feels/sounds right to me. The NATURAL amp is a great warm option for jazzy stuff (I liked this amp on the legacy GT models as well). Of the classic amps the Twin and JC-120 deliver, the others are OK with the exception of the DIAMOND AMP (AC30) which without significant EQ and compression sounds and reacts more like prior generation tech lacking the lively snap I'd expect IMHO.

A common theme (complaint) from many users on this forum over the years has been the amount of tweaking necessary to dial in Fractal products and how liberating more generic flexible amp models with less deep parameters could potentially be. If you are a player who likes to dial in artist's specific tones, IMHO it's dead simple on the AX8 as there's a great chance you can load dial up the amp they use and dial in their specific settings and in the vast majority of cases you're going to be very close. With a unit like GT-1000, you're going to be doing a lot of guessing and likely have to employ significant EQ to get into the ballpark. To be honest, it's kinda hard to get a bad sound out of the AX8 as dialing up any amp at default settings with a good IR (of which many are included) sounds good to great. The AX8 actually requires the least amount of tweaking I've experienced in an amp modeler. Boss provides a similar experience with the X-HI GAIN model. However, a fair amount of tweaking and EQ is required to many of the other models (especially the non MDP ones) to get an inspiring sound. If you're trying to mimic an artists exact tone, I imagine it's going to require a lot of trial and error and experimentation with EQ.

Boss wisely included the ability of users to load IRs into it, but it's clear that addition was a afterthought and has been poorly implemented. Only 4 slots are allowed, names of the IRs are very short, and it takes a long time to load them into the unit. This is a bit of an embarrassment at this price point where Boss looks like an amatuer against the competition which offer hundreds of user IRs and in the case of the AX8 can even be auditioned prior to loading them into storage. You'll need to use a 3rd party app to audition IRs here.

FX

Over the years, I've been a pretty big fan of Boss multi-effects because they have a long history of building pedals and typically give users a very similar experience in their MFX as using their standalone pedals. The new MDP based A-DIST, X_OD, and X-DIST all sound great feeding a cleaner model and I imagine will get a lot of usage from those planning to run this in 4CM. Given how good the MDP amps and dirt boxes are, it's a bit of a let down BOSS didn't employ a full rebuild using that tech in all distortion generating effects.

The bread and butter effects are all of high quality, if you've ever owned a Boss unit before expect a similar high quality experience here (I mean, Boss pretty much invented the chorus pedal). The combination of the AC GUITAR SIM and AC RESONANCE effects offer up a very convincing acoustic guitar tone which when combined with the ability to run dual effects paths returns a create payoff in creates interesting patches featuring dual acoustic and amp tones. The "spread" feature of the mixer block when a chain is divided into 2 signal paths further enriches these types of patches by creating an extremely full stereo image which almost mimics a double tracked quality to tones.

One confusing choice is including 4 separate basic delay blocks and the more robust Master Delay block. Sure, having 4 delays to split into individual paths is an ambient guitarist's wet dream, but being not being able to select specific types feels limiting. I imagine this was done in an attempt to offer more flexibility while keeping patch change speeds high but at a bare minimum the basic delays should offer ducking and modulation, without they feel like a waste of processing power which will likely sit empty for me. The inclusion of the Tera Echo is also misplaced in the reverb block, likely another decision based on processing power/fast patch shifting.

Another new MDP effect is the OVERTONE which is more or less a copy of the EHX Micro POG offering tones 1 octave lower and 1 octave higher plus a unison level. Polyphonic octaves to simulate organ and synth sounds is a nice addition (especially since Boss disappointingly removed their synth effects from the unit). However, the high quality of this effect magnifies the poor implementation of the pitch shift effect which sounds broken in comparison. In fact, my Zoom G3's polyphonic pitch shifter while more latent sound 100 times more stable than what Boss has included here which is no better (and maybe worse) than what they had in the GT-100 which IIRC was already a downgrade from the GT-10. Just like with the dirt boxes and amps, a full reworking of all pitch effects using MDP should have been a goal here and would've been a big selling point. Frankly, a pitch shift effect this poor is an embarrassment (and inexcusable given the OVERTONE effect) at a $999 price point. The AX8's polyphonic pitch shifting isn't perfect either but is way closer to the rock solid shifting my Digitech Whammy V offers, and it's important to note the AX8 only costs $100 more.

In Conclusion

Pretty much all the new MDP based amps/effects sound/feel great. I honestly feel the new MDP amps are in the neighborhood of Fractal quality, though I still think Fractal gets a slight nod here both in terms of a slicker more polished tone and feel. Boss has certainly taken a pretty big step forward in several specific areas, there's a lot to love about the GT-1000. The flip side though is as a whole this feels a little more like a generation 1.5 than 2.0 in terms of their overall tech with poor IR implementation, an embarrassingly bad pitch shifter effect, and a couple classic amps which feel flat in comparison to the new advanced MDP offerings. Those failures along with the choice of including additional simplified delay blocks and placing the Terra echo in the reverb block cast a bit of a shadow on Boss' marketing of "industry leading 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating-point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate throughout". I would've loved to hear what a full MDP overhaul would have sounded like. Hardware specs are great to market, but you've got to deliver and there's little room for error at ~$1,000 price point especially considering the Boss reputation for releasing final versions of products while Fractal and Line 6 are actively developing for their platforms. At $600 - $800 this would likely be a huge hit and a no brainer recommendation filling a price point where there's little competition. At ~$1000...it's a tougher recommendation and I think I'd want some assurances they're going to continue to offer some fixes/upgrades. If I can find some time, I'll try to shoot a video featuring some of the tones I really dug.

Elantric

https://theguitarmag.com/archives/12897

Review: Boss GT-1000
By KROD   May 23, 2018  in MAG Review (Thailand)

Story   :

Boss is always the name of a global brand. No one denied them. With no stopwatch. They produced the effect. We have been using it for a long time. But in the past 4-5 years, they are not unrivaled. For those who follow the circles of effects. You have to know about Multi Effect War anyway. High competition in this development. Boss can not be inactive.

About:

It's been a long time since the Boss released the GT-100, and then in the industry, it's a bustling move, so it looks like the Boss will be squeezed out of the race. But a few months ago Boss made a big announcement. When the GT-1000 was released, the long-awaited re-release of this new type of guitar was ignored. And this is a return to their throne with Boss GT-1000.

Spec:

The display button Knob the six buttons to adjust the value. Function key to write the effect, Menu, Exit, Write next turn the output level, then the SW / EXP1 button status. The footswitch with the pedal effect is selected. The Bank Down Up button will be CTL1, CTL2, CtL3. The bottom will have 5 buttons. The rear output will include the guitar input. Next is the Main Output left and right next to it. Phones, then Send Return 1-2, and 4 sub channels. Mixer or PA System (next to XLR) is the EXP2 (CTL4 / 5), EXP3 (CTL6 / 7) Next is the Amp CTL 1, 2 next to the USB port, two more Midi Control. Channel open - close the adapter slot. (This requires Roland alone, this is where the cable lock. The adapter will then be a Ground Terminal.

Outside:

External styles may not look very good. It's simple. This is the standard of the Multi Effect era, the button looks good. It's good to have a good step (Boss test on the pedal. By having a test helper. The result is a million steps. Button to break !!!) Including Footswitch attached to look very strong.

Work :

When we plugged in the power. We will have to choose from the two buttons is the Effect and Menu. If the effect is set to Amp Effect, which is a block image and Signal Chain, we use the Knob button 6 to rotate. Move the block to be adjusted in the Signal Chain. Knob button five buttons to adjust the parameters in effect Amp in each block. In the menu, we will choose the settings. Control Assign, In / Out Setting, Play Option, Midi, Hardware Setting and Factory Preset in the Tuner. The Boss GT-1000 is available by pressing the CTL3 button. You can choose to use the normal mode or we will use the Polytune drop line, we can preset. 2 Patch is User Patch (From U01-1 to U50-5, here we can set the value. But if P01-1 to P50-50 is the factory preset), we can change. Savings names Include input, send return, CMP, Bluetooth status. In addition, for those who want to look like a Stompbox can set each Patch to a Stompbox by moving the Page button and select the Menu Stompbox in the Patch will become. The Stompbox Effect can be renamed to the GT-1000 can be used as an Audio Interface (do not forget to check the driver before you see it in www.Boss.

Outstanding:

Highlights of this story. It is what Boss said that his system is AIRD and processed to 32 Bit / 96Khz, which is usually a villager has 24 Bit, then it is good to see that the dynamic is easy to say, the sound effects. Normally, the 24 bit is close to the real one, but enough for the 32 bit. Headphones have a lot more in the effects. If we try to play Modulation with the Stereo to see the sound of the modulation is very cool, including. The Acoustic Sim is very good. Variety of effects is much in. In Out sector is featured as the ability to do Global EQ separately in the Main Output and Sub Output. Lightweight, no effect change. If you do not use audio. Effects too crowded) in the Tuner is cool as well. Can be set to Polytune. Can be set to 6-7 lines.

Matching-Require:

Guitar For those who play the Full Range monitors who work in the recording sector, the word 32 Bit / 96Khz here is a very interesting point. The sound of the guitar seems to sound heavier, it would be suitable for people who do not need an amp. Or mixed into the mix because the Global EQ to separate the Main and Sub Out.

Lost:

The thing that many people may be puzzled is that Input Output may be less for some people. (This is still a little bit), then the selection of the block in the Signal Chain may not be very free (but really, if not a guitarist daredevil. I do not know enough to do then. Then modulation that the people like. Vintage Style GT-1000 is not very sharp, it may not like it, and then crack. If it is high, it will not say that it is not really happy that it will not be. Because it is necessary enough to fit the stream. This depends on the taste.

Level To Use: It 's not too difficult to understand.

Made For:  Guitarists of all styles.

Quality: ***** Compared with the price, convenience, sound and development of the GT-100.

Price: 32,000 Price is good (this order may have to wait)

Contact: Thira Music Pinklao 0-2424-8988 / Music City Central Rama IX 0-2108-3129 / Music City Central West Gate 0-2108-8998

Elantric

https://www.delamar.de/test/boss-gt-1000/

BOSS GT-1000 Test: Excellent all-in-one solution for the modern guitarist
Quelle: www.delamar.de

In the BOSS GT-1000 test, the manufacturer sends its new flagship including brand-new AIRD technology into the race. A tidier surface is not the only improvement, because the interior has been completely redesigned. However, the bar in the digital world is very high due to groundbreaking technologies of recent years such as the Kemper, Ax FX or Helix. More and more guitarists refrain today on the heavy amplifier and rely on the consistent live sound of one of the many digital solutions. Learn how the lavish All-In-One device can hold its own against the competition.

Modern and sturdy design of the BOSS GT-1000 - test complacent? Check the video too! By Mike Gillmann on May 22, 2018

What is it?

The BOSS GT-1000 multi-effects device is a professional all-in-one solution for guitarists. A total of 116 different effects and sixteen amp simulations are available at the touch of a button. BOSS claims that it has geared its attention strongly to the tube amp sound to create a natural soundscape and to ensure an authentic feel. Various routing options of the signal path allow just about all common parallel and serial circuits of effects and amplifiers.

The necessary computing power should be provided by an ultra-fast 32-bit DSP chip specially developed for music applications. The signal is processed in 32-bit and 96 kHz sampling rate, which should be enough for a fabulous sound quality.

A bright LCD display with approximately 16cm screen size (512 × 160 pixels) gives you insight into all conceivable parameters. The brightness can be varied happily in the main menu in three different levels. Also very practical: The individual lights for the 10 Footswitch pedals can shine in different colors and thus provide a better overview on the stage.

The most important BOSS GT-1000 features

Multi-effects device for guitar

16 amplifier simulations

116 effects

Serial and parallel combinations of effects and amplifiers

Integration of external effect devices (mono & stereo)

10 footswitch

Expression pedal

Tuner (also polyphonic)

Looper (38 seconds mono, 19 seconds stereo)

New AIRD Soundsource

The now twelve-year-old COSM technology, which gave us guitarists a lot of time in the form of various digital treadmills and multi-effect devices such as the ME or GT series, is being replaced. Instead, BOSS introduces the new AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamic) technology. Among other things, here comes the tube amplifier similar behavior of the GT-1000 ago, which also harmonizes well with additional effect devices. A dedicated loop-in stereo is provided on the back of the unit.

connection options

In addition to these, the BOSS GT-1000 is prepared for all imaginable routing options, making it suitable for the simple amplifier up to the full-range stage PA system. Nowadays almost natural is the USB port for direct recording and tinkering sounds. If you do not fancy cable clutter, you can also control the device using Bluetooth and make even the smallest fine adjustments via your mobile phone or tablet. In live mode, two inputs for expression pedals provide complete control over the sound. In addition, the BOSS GT-1000 is MIDI-capable and therefore designed for even the most complex preset changes. A delay / reverb "carryover function" allows the delay and reverb flags to continue to fade, even if another preset has been selected.

First impression of the BOSS GT-1000

Compared to the predecessors of the BOSS GT-1000, the user interface looks much tidier. I remember the ME-80 with its thirty knobs. In contrast, the new model has only six knobs with push function for the different effect parameters and one for the output level.

The BOSS GT-1000 with a professional appearance.

Already my old BOSS ME-25 survived more than one crash or kick that it should not survive. The confidence-inspiring steel case with a light brush look promises the same, even if we would rather not put it to the test. The slightly less vulnerable side panels are made of plastic and thus provide some weight reduction. So it weighs about as little as a guitar with its only 3.6 kg and thus ensures the perfect balance on the walk to the next gig: guitar in one, effect device in the other hand! With dimensions of 462 x 248 x 70 mm (B, T, H), the BOSS GT-1000 even fits in a slightly larger backpack.

An extremely sensible spatial separation of the control pot and the total of ten long-lasting soft-switch footswitch ensures sufficient distance. So nothing happens to the sensitive components, even if the foot reaches something wrong. Equipped in this way, the BOSS GT-1000 easily survives even the wilder performances. However, BOSS has always been known for its sturdy housing, and it is much more interesting in terms of operation and sound.

The first steps

Once powered by the external power supply and powered by the rear power switch, the BOSS GT-1000 is fully charged and ready to play in seconds. The wiring for home use is initially very simple. The guitar comes into the input and the output is connected to the amplifier jack. The GT-1000 offers various AIRD supported simulations, depending on the connected amplifier.

Among other things, you can choose between several manufacturer-specific amplifier types such as the BOSS Katana or Roland Blues Cube, but also presets for Tweet Amps and the like can be found here. There are also different modes available for the insert or return jacks of the selected amp. By selecting the mode, the general frequency image is adjusted according to earbud to simulate the specific sound of the respective amplifier.

The manufacturer recommends using the return jack of the effects channel in the instructions for use to enjoy the full potential of our multi-effect device. However, if you want to keep the sound characteristics of your beloved amplifier, the GT-1000 can also switch in front of the amplifier. If we choose the Stereo XLR Out to route the device, to connect it to a whole PA system, or to record via a mixer, there are also various customized modes available there.

Polyphones tuner

Every guitarist knows that you have to tune before playing. The BOSS can also do this wonderfully with a tuner that is accurate to 0.1 cents, which is easily recognizable via the bright screen in any imaginable lighting situation. A polyphonic function is also available. Similar to the Polytune tuner, the tuner can also recognize several battered pages and displays them reliably. So you can see within seconds, which strings are out of tune and precise tune.

Extensive routing options

To prepare the BOSS GT-1000 for every imaginable situation, it was equipped with a really decent range of connections. Backwards we find from left to right the input jack, a stereo output, which can also be used in mono, and a stereo effect path. That should be nice for the modulation effect friends, because LFO, Rotary, Delay or Chorus come naturally to advantage in this way of course. The ingenious AIRD technology allows easy integration of external effect devices into the internal signal chain.

The BOSS GT-1000 probably has all the connections you'll ever need.

Looking a little further, we find the already mentioned Sub Output, which has two XLR outputs and can therefore be connected to PAs, mixers and recorders. For example, the BOSS GT-1000 can sound entire arenas via a stage system. In order to be able to shape the sound while still live, the device receives two connections for more than just its own expression pedal. Using an AMP CTL jack, the GT can even switch the channels of an amplifier, and to handle even the most complex preset changes, the floorboard is also midi-capable and therefore equipped with MIDI In and MIDI Out.

In addition, only the power switch and the DC-In for the external power supply remain.

Select and change presets

As is common in multi-effects, the BOSS GT-1000 already comes with many presets. Fifty factory benches, each with five patches, can be selected via the footswitches. To enable faster access, the presets are also selected via a rotary control. There are also another fifty user patch memory locations which can be overwritten as desired.

The presets contain just about everything the guitarist's heart desires: singing lead sounds, powerful crunchy or spherical, "Eric Johnson" -like surface sounds. Choosing benches and choosing sounds is quite intuitive, but to fully understand the BOSS GT-1000, a quick look at the manual will be needed. This is easy to understand and delivers within a few minutes a good overview of all basic functions.

Depending on the display, the display gives you an idea of ​​the signal chain, the selected preset or the respective, assigned footswitch buttons for the preset. To change the display, the "Page" buttons are used. In live use, no unnecessary information is displayed, which you only need to modify at home to modify the sounds, just the name of the preset in capital letters.

signal chain

The screen of the BOSS GT-Pro 1000 shows the entire signal chain in small icons - a certain similarity to the preset menu of the Ax-FX can not be denied. However, the split makes perfect sense and allows you to get a quick overview of active effects, amps or equalizers through the use of small shortcuts.

Typical signal chain easily editable in the large display.

Within a short time, you have purely fumbled by means of instructions and can use the knobs to change the position of an effect, re-route signals, switch in parallel, combine different amplifier models or fun four delays in a row. All that is completely intuitive and playful. If you want to lose yourself deep in the matter, you can put together your absolute dream-rig with a little work. Various dry-wet combinations, each with its own assigned amplifier, can be created just as easily as a brutal metal sound with booster, high-gain amp and noisegate. Connected via USB to the computer or via Bluetooth to a smartphone or tablet, each setting can be edited even more clearly and in more detail.

The AIRD technology allows not only the tube-like sound but also a completely natural behavior of the individual effects in the signal chain. For example, if the "Tone" parameters change initially for a compressor, this will affect the other simulated effects as well as the real counterpart would.

Stompbox function

The BOSS GT-1000 comes on board with a very clever function: the stompbox. The Stombox feature lets you save an effect to an assigned footswitch. In this way, individual effects can be placed on a specific footswitch, which can then be switched across all presets. Although the individual stompboxes have to be assigned in a single preset, the most used pedals can be called up quickly and spontaneously.

Gigantic effect selection

BOSS has been making all sorts of guitar effects for 45 years and is one of the largest and most successful companies in the field. This is also reflected in the BOSS GT-1000, because here are a total of 116 different effects to discover and try out.

Of course, we find here ordinary overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, reverb, compressor and the like, but also outrageous slicers, Roterys and LFO's invite you to linger and drift into the world of sounds. From Phaser to Pitchshift to Sitar Simulator, Touch Wah, Sound Freezer and Vibrato - the BOSS GT-1000 is a real paradise for creative minds and experimental ghosts.

Also very practical is an emulated BOSS AD-10 Acoustic Preamp, which allows the GT-1000 to be used with an acoustic guitar. This expands the range of use again by a large piece.

The only bigger criticism that I would have noticed even after many hours of playing time is the somewhat too short Looper. This can unfortunately save only 38 seconds long loops . To explore smaller ideas or something like that is enough, but who expects a full-fledged Looper, should rather buy him additional.

No unnecessary bells and whistles

For the GT-1000, BOSS has apparently made a conscious decision not to use some of the features that are standard on competing products. Among other things, there are no possibilities to determine different pickup microphones or their positioning.

Also, the range of simulated amplifiers is quite limited. While some competing products almost blow up the frame and, like the Line 6 helix, offer a total of 72 amp models, the subject brings with it sixteen different amps.

Above all, the BOSS GT-1000 makes one really good: and these are the effects. In order to be able to offer this huge number of qualitatively extremely high-quality sounds, the manufacturer consciously makes small smears in other places. The GT-1000 does not necessarily score with many features, but what it can do, it sounds damn good: sound!

BOSS GT-1000: Excellent sound quality

The full name of the BOSS GT-1000 "Guitar Effects Processor" already reveals where the focus was in development. Uncompromising sound quality thanks to an ultra-fast DSP and high-quality 32-bit converter. This is already apparent to the listener after the first played notes.

A singing Zerrsound brimming with harmonic overtones in the Gain structure awaits you in the first preset named "Premium Drive". The whole positive image runs through all imaginable sounds across the music genre spectrum.

Video with sound samples from the BOSS GT-1000 test

For "Pink Floyd" -like, spherical soundscapes provide rich, high-resolution delays and wide phaser. Wonderful reverbs in the classic Hall, Plate and Spring categories give every cleansing sound the necessary spice. For a little trip into the country world invite slapback Delys. If the preset is switched over, the previous delay and reverb flags are retained thanks to the carryover function, thus ensuring a smooth transition between different guitar sounds. Experienced musicians are definitely looking forward to the slicer effect, which creates rhythms that can be entered and even up to the very last repetition, the sound character of the guitar can be maintained and reproduced unadulterated. The amp simulations are so good that even really nasty Metal distortions sound very realistic. But even in a slightly slower gear, the BOSS GT-1000 does the splits between creamy blues sound and rough, snappy rock whip! Overview BOSS GT-1000 Review

PER

116 different effects

Excellent sound quality

Many routing possibilities

Delay / Reverb Carryover function

Flexible application areas

CONTRA

Looper only 38 seconds (for anyone who needs a looper) display

Conclusion to the BOSS GT-1000 test

In short, the BOSS GT-1000 is an absolutely fabulous multi-effects device for every imaginable application. Whether in the exercise room, at the band rehearsal, in the studio or live performance, BOSS 'new masterpiece is prepared for all eventualities. It takes its very own place, without wanting to compete directly with competing products such as the Ax-FX or Helix.

Immediately after unpacking, the subject convinces with the tidy and clear user interface and its extremely robust design. The operation proved to be intuitive and the instructions for use help at all imaginable points.

With generously built-in inputs and outputs, the BOSS GT-1000 is prepared for a wide range of routing options, making it easy to connect to an amplifier or mixer.

In particular, the sound quality of the individual, a total of 116 effects is absolutely outstanding and can be compared with that of an Ax-FX. The GT-1000 with its about 1000 € is still much cheaper. In addition, the BOSS device is also well suited for acoustic guitars thanks to the built-in AD-10 simulator.

The looper might have been longer, the amp selection might be bigger, but all in all, the BOSS GT-1000 is a multi-effects device, as it is written in the book. Many effects in outstanding quality at a price of about a thousand euros. The new floorboard by BOSS leaves delamar's editorial board with an absolute buy recommendation and full score. Be sure to try!
Quelle: www.delamar.de

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-gt-1000-day-one-review-and-ramble.1945080/#post-26501559
Scott Simpson wrote>

personal filter 1: I have been messing about with modelers since the Roland VG-8 came out in the 1990s. Ever since I began using tube amps back in 1979, I have been frustrated by their idiosyncrasies, their inconsistencies, their unreliability, and most of all their inability to maintain a consistent representation of my tone across different performance venues.
personal filter 2: Soon after the Fractal AxeFX came out I sold the last amp I ever care to own and I haven't looked back since. When I paired the AxeFX II with a CLR and Jay Mitchell's IRs, I finally enjoyed the fully processed amp-in-my-room sound as much or better than any tube amp I have ever owned.
personal filter 3: I don't care about whether any given amp model sounds or feels like it's real tube namesake. I mostly care about the amp and effects models sounding and feeling like I want them to sound and feel like in my idealized imagination. After that, I look for the ability to accurately reproduce the amp-in-my-room sound I have created in whatever venue I find myself by way of easy to access global controls.
personal filter 4: I have been playing (and playing around with digital gear) for a long time. If I can't get a decent sound out of a modeler with minimal tweaking, I have no interest in it. I like to play. Endless twiddling and tone chasing is creative death to me.
sound biases: I am a low to mid gain player. I use clean to mild break up sounds driven by compressors and stomp style drives and distortions.
own or have owned: Roland VG-8S1, Roland VG-88EX, AxeFX, AxeFXII, AmpliFire, Line 6 Helix

Sound Source: Atomic CLR on stand
Gear Compared: Kemper, Boss GT-1000, Line 6 Helix, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Blackface Deluxe

I have been getting good results with the Mesa Lonestar model in the Line 6 Helix. But at 54 years of age I am always looking for a way to lighten the gear load and decrease the size of my rig. When I saw that the GT-1000 weighed in at 7.5 pounds I headed into a GC to give it a try. I always bring my CLR when testing modelers as it is in my opinion the most accurate monitoring system anywhere near its price point. One of the employees had his Kemper handy, so we hooked that into the CLR as well.

I didn't bother listening to any of the GT-1000 presets and I'm not interested in the named amp models. I set up a patch with nothing but the AIRD X-CRUNCH in low gain mode and the SHIMMER reverb. With default settings on the amp model and a little adjustment of the reverb, I had a sound and feel that was good but not great. Along with the expected amp tone and gain settings, there seems to be only two other available amp parameters: sag and resonance. The sag was defaulted to 5 and the resonance was at 0. Increasing either or both of these controls along with increasing the gain setting dramatically altered the feel and responsiveness of the model with every incremental change.

Messing with the interplay of gain, sag, and resonance really brought the model to life. After about 5 minutes of tweaking, I believe I ended up with the gain at about 72, the sag at 7, and the resonance at +6 (no alterations were made to the speaker simulation — I didn't know how to access it). With no other EQing, no compressors, no tweaking of the speaker simulation, and no adjusting of the input signal to match my guitar, I dialed in a sound that easily matched my most tweaked Line 6 Lonestar patch and that held its own favorably against the clean MESA profile on the employee's Kemper (In my opinion, the Kemper is capable of creating the most accurate digital reproduction of a tube amp I personally have experienced and the MESA profile this guy used sounded and felt incredible).

Two viewpoints are useful here:
1 - Listeners: Several guitar-head employees who had only heard the Kemper and the GT-1000 through the QSC K-10 that was set up in the amp room were blown away by how both devices sounded through the CLR. All of the employees who commented, and a few customers who were listening, felt that the GT-1000 more than held its own from a listeners perspective. The Kemper MESA profile sounded amazing; the GT-1000 AIRD X-CRUNCH sounded excellent in its own way. No one felt like I would have to apologize for the tone of the GT-1000 side by side on a gig with the Kemper.
2 - Player: The Kemper felt better in all the right organic ways. The Kemper felt as good as any tube or modeled interaction I have ever experienced. The GT-1000 X-CRUNCH did not feel as good... but still felt really, really good once I got the gain, sag, and resonance talking to each other. I would liken the difference to my experiences in tube land. I really liked certain MESA amps and I had a Class A SamAmp that felt like butter. I owned other tube amps that I liked a lot, but they didn't vibe me the way the SamAmp did. The other amps were not bad, they just didn't have the exact organics that I craved.

The store wasn't busy so I was able to tweak, swap gear, and make unchallenged guitar noise for almost two hours. I played a handful of finger style jazz arrangements back and forth between the Kemper and the GT-1000 for a while. For a tube reality check I plugged into an Egnater Tweaker and a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb. Due to the sonic issues caused by the GC amp room, neither amp delivered as good of an amp-in-the-room experience as the Kemper or the GT-1000 through the CLR. Maybe my idealized bias has poisoned me, but I now only like tube amps with guitar speakers under near perfect room conditions. Regardless, for my money, the Kemper and the GT-1000 (and the Line 6 Helix and AxeFX) sound and feel better to me through a CLR — even when stripped down to just an amp and reverb — than either of those amps under any condition. But I digress...

When I played back and forth between the GT-1000 and the Kemper I was conscious of the organic difference. After I tried the tube amps, and then stepped away for a while, I spent a good bit of time just playing the GT-1000. I had the same experience that I had when I tested the Atomic AmpliFire against the AxeFX, and later the Helix against the AmpliFire: when I used any of them on their own I was able to dial up a sonic environment that I could enjoy and get lost in. The differences only affected me when I was doing side by side testing. (This has led me to conclude that too much side by side "shoot-out" style testing is unhealthy and a possible ticket to madness).

That the GT-1000 was able to hang in the same ballpark with an excellent Kemper profile was all I needed to know. The fact that two veteran guitar players, who are both satisfied Kemper owners, agreed with my assessment sealed the deal for me. GC is running 15% off this weekend so I was able to buy the GT-1000 for $850 and tax. When I consider what people are still paying for vacuum tube technology, clunky plywood speaker boxes, and cheap to make guitar speakers, I have no issue with the Boss price point.

I have been sitting at home with the GT-1000 for a while. Random thoughts:

-The Bluetooth capability is cool. My iPad connected up seamlessly and I can work away from my computer.
-The onboard interface is pretty easy to learn. It's not as intuitive as the Helix, but it's certainly not difficult or arcane. If you are at all familiar with Roland/Boss devices, there is almost no learning curve.
-The available routing options are limited but they can handle parallel amps and effects as well as wet-dry rig designs.
-The dual amp capability and the foot switchable gain staging are excellent features assuming that the volume of the gain staging can be programmed.
-This is the best tuner I have ever used.
-Onboard level metering is incredibly useful.
-The unit only stores four user IRs. That may be a problem for some people, but that's two more than I ever use. And I am already pleased with the results I am getting with the factory assigned IR. If I get better results with my two Jay Mitchell IRs, all the better. With the Helix, I ended up liking the factory IRs in dual cab mode better than anything in my Ownhammer collection.
-Sag and resonance seem to be the only exposed amp parameters. I'm okay with that. More playing and less deep-edit second guessing and rabbit-holing is a good thing for me.
-Now that I am home, I like the current state of my X-CRUNCH patch better than the current state of my Helix Lonestar patch. I'm not sure about the drive pedal models yet. The Helix drives are excellent and I haven'e spent much time with the Boss models.
-Scribble strips are handy for live performance. I will miss them. But I tend to only use two or three variations of the same patch. Also, the play screen can be defaulted to show the effects that are associated with the buttons. It's not as cool as scribble strips but it seems to have the same mental effect when glancing down at the unit.
-I amp reminded of how handy it can be to have a usable acoustic guitar simulation on board. My left wrist doesn't like acoustic guitars anymore and refuses to play them.
-Players wanting to emulate their favorite real amps will not like the GT-1000. For my purposes, there are already more amp types in this unit than I need or will use. I tried all of the low and mid-gain amps in the AxeFXII, settled on two that I liked, and never tried or used the others after that. The only model I use in the Helix is the Lonestar.
-Updates are to me a fun bonus that comes along for the ride in modeler land. If Boss supports this unit with meaningful updates, that would be great. If they don't, I am pretty sure that I can gig contentedly with this thing as it is.

Summary: This is an excellent piece of gear.

P.S. The GT-1000 weighs in at 7.5 pounds. Mmmmm... my back muscles are amused. Speaking of weight, today at Guitar Center I played a Korean made Strandberg headless guitar that only weighed 4.5 pounds and sounded and felt great. If the f-hole version of the Strandberg has some of the hollow body slap of my Ibanez, that may be coming next. Then I would have only one gear-lust remaining: that Jay Mitchell would design a super light weight, small form, yet full range speaker solution. Then I can grow old and still play out without lugging a ton of gear around.
P.P.S. Once Fractal set the modeling bar at a high level, it was only a matter of time before everyone else got the hang of things and upped their respective games. The days of a manufacturer being able to justify $2,000 to $3,000 price points based mostly on the premise of having vastly superior amp modeling/profiling are already coming to an end.

Oops... I digressed again. My brain turned into a pumpkin at midnight.
End of ramble.

admin

Panthersn wrote>

I received my GT-1000 yesterday afternoon (picked it up used on Reverb).  And......   It's awesome!!!   The new update has an IR upload, although it only has 4 user slots.  The 3rd party IRs really make a big difference.  I'm using the new 3 Sigma Mesa Lonestar & the Steve Stevens Friedman 4X12.  My biggest fear that it would sound like the same old "COSM" modeling, but its much better.  As long as you are not hung up on seeing the BIG NAME brand amps to choose from, there are enough parameters to tweak within the AMPS available to hit everything from Fender to Boogie.

Just a few things I don't like:

The display is very similar to the GR-55.  Not sure why its blue and not color.

No dedicated Tap and Tuner button/switches, you have to give up either a CTL or a Preset button.

Tone Central software feels a little sterile, would have like to seen more eye candy like some of the BIAS products.

But overall its a winner, and just about small enough to fit in my Guitar flight case!!

I'm using it live tonight, I will post some samples.   Not sure why this unit did not receive a bigger POP and the NAM show  ???

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26534908/

JCW308 wrote>
I had some time to play around with my GT-1000 today too. I'm still using for effects only into several different amps but it is easily replacing a full pedalboard of stuff (11 effects on one screen plus volume) NOT BAD!

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26543505/

The Interceptor wrote>

I got mine a couple of days ago. Within an hour or two I had a very solid highish gain tone, which I normally get from a Tube Screamer plus Marshall type of patch. In this case I used Tube Screamer plus X-Modded. I don't know if it's just in my mind, but this combination seems to produce great sustain on single notes. I thought that getting an outcome I was more or less comfortable with in such a short period of time on a new modeller was a promising sign; often it might take days to hit the sweet spot.

The Juggernaut amp will be the basis for a metal patch. The Natural amp is easy to make solid clean patches.

I'm using my solutions from my GT-1 as a starting point for building my patches, on the basis that the Boss DNA is still relevant. That seems to be working, albeit that the GT1000 tones have more detail and adjustability.

The lack of available buttons is a puzzler. But I just set up 5 patches to get the variations I want (5 say high gain Marshall sound, another 5 for a suite of clean tones etc), so that isn't a big deal. I guess the payoff is the reasonably compact footprint.

I could have bought a Helix LT or an AX8 for a little bit more. But I've done my research and concluded that I don't want to have to rely on IRs to get the tone I want. I have played with IRs with an Epsi years ago and didn't have the patience (or maybe the ears) for it. I have owned lots of low to mid-tier modellers: Eleven Rack, Pod HD, RP1000, RP360XP, GT100, GT-1. The modeller that resulted in me spending more time playing was the GT-1. Hence the path to the GT1000. At this early stage I'm pretty impressed.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26552029/

benifin said: ↑
Hey Jim ..... without wanting to de-rail this thread ..... in your opinion ..... from a purely sonic / feel / tonal perspective .... how does the GT 1000 compare to the Axe 3 ?

Jim Roseberry wrote>

Hi Ben,

To my ears, the Axe-FX III models have *slightly* more complexity.
I'm not going to say the GT-1000 sounds/responds better... but IMO the AIRD models are very good.
In context of band/mix, I don't think other guitar players would notice the difference (general-public... no way).
The ChopTones video (posted above) is a good example of the GT-1000's sound/response. There's a newer video of Glenn playing live using the GT-1000 (think it was also posted above).

Maybe this would be a better way to explain my experience:
I like the Axe-FX III (has amazing capability/potential - far more vast), but I'm surprised that I'm not clearly favoring it's sound/response vs. the GT-1000.

I've think we're reaching a point where all the top-tier modelers are sounding/responding well.
Having owned/used them all, (IMO) there is no absolute hands-down runaway BEST guitar processor.
Guys like Glenn and Marco have demonstrated excellent guitar sounds with all of the top modelers.

One thing that doesn't get much mention regarding the Axe-FX III:
Its USB audio interface offers *excellent* low-latency performance.
Total round-trip latency at the smallest 8-sample buffer size (48k) is 3.1ms.
That's on-par with the best dedicated USB audio interfaces (besting many of them).

Elantric

Terence Young wrote>

My 1st Gig playing the Boss GT 1000 Direct through the PA.. I'm using the Natural Clean Sound with the Boss Compression.. I'm also using the Stock Cry Baby Wah built in the unit. The Output selection makes the difference. For a Good Sound Direct the best options are Line/Phones or Recording. I'm still learning the unit so I think it has a lot of options to get the tone you won't.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26574469/

Guitarrob wrote>
Just wanted to write about a Helix / GT-1000 a/b test I did tonight at a band rehearsal. My thought going into the rehearsal was that my overall tone with the Helix, utilizing the Placater amp for dirty and AC 30 for clean w/ Celestion Cream All IR was slightly more natural sounding and more dimensional than my overall tone with the GT-1000, utilizing the X-High Gain amp for dirty and AC 30 for clean w/ Celestion Cream SM57 Balanced IR. During the rehearsal, after a few songs, I began thinking the opposite. When I did a blind a/b for my band mates, they also all chose the GT-1000 as the better tone to a man. It was a very enlightening experience to me. The GT-1000 tones cut through the mix better, and seemed generally thicker. I always knew that playing in a band setting was very different from playing/tweaking alone in an isolated setting, but it was still a revelation. I'll be using the GT-1000 for our gig Friday night.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26582415/
Quotekillerburst said: ↑
The GT-1000 is cheaper than buying the three 500 series pedals separately. Hope that helps.

I actually paid something like $1300 for the FX8 when it first came out. The GT blows it away as a 4CM FX processor. Plus it has amp modeling if one ever feels like going that route.

Steveo wrote>
I was actually going to buy the 500 series pedals to run in the loop of my Kemper until I dug deeper into what the GT-1000 does, and it was a no-brainer decision for me. The two units integrate seamlessly with no noise or hum, and I use the Kemper Remote to call up the presets and switch a few of the Kemper effects I use, and send a MIDI signal to the GT-1000 that is set up as a handful of virtual pedalboards, so the switches are configured in a pedalboard mode on it. Plus, both floor units are compact enough that it doesn't take up hardly any more space than a typical traditional pedalboard would.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/39621-Boss-GT-1000-released/?postID=435511#post435511

--

So, I just picked up a GT-1000 from my local music store. The defuses who work there had no idea what it sounded like, and could offer literally nothing in regards to what it's features were, shortcomings, etc. All good. I have the internet, and currently own a couple of GT-100's (For my Chapman Stick) An Axe-FX, and a Line6 PodHD pro, as well as all kinds of other modelling plugins etc. I also have a GR55, and a Boss DR880.

Really, I don't like these sorts of things, as I like to host plug into an amp, grab a mic and play. The infinite amount of screwing around and patching cables drives me insane, and I rarely (if ever) use these units with an amp.

So what. I am currently using is a small, single channel tube amp (Fender Projr) and a TC-Electronics G-System. I think that the G-system is brilliant, but mounting that thing to a pedalboard? ugh transporting it? ugh... The mess of cables? ugh...

So I thought I'd try the GT-1000 out. It looked and sounded great from the demos I've seen (I think they all sound great!) And I have always liked Boss's extremely thorough approach to their gear (They provide the crayons, YOU do the colouring) If nothing else, I could give the unit to my daughter and carry on with my music life happy as ever.

Well, I plugged it in, connected my YJM Strat to it, connected it to my Fender ProJr, set the output to "tube combo 112 input" Not sure if I need to disable anything else as far as amp models go, but I proceeded to go have some fun with the presets. 7 hours later, I am thinking that the G-System is no longer required, the L6PodHDPro is an piece of junk in comparison, and the AxeFX while brilliant kind of just sounds the same as what everyone else with an Axe-FX does... Being able to just plug in and wail away was liberating to say the least...

Great job, Boss. I am impressed. What a great tool, I have been waiting for something like this that A) provides me with every current effect known to man B) a means to control said effects B) Sounds good, and consistent whether it's into an amp, into my computer interface, direct to my computer or into a PA D) Doesn't require a lot of fuss to transport, set up, and connect E) Sounds good, and does the Amp Modelling but allows my playing style to break through and maybe leave people who listen wondering "What is that he's playing through?" as opposed to "There it is... L6 tone... or uh-oh, there is the Boss GT10 sound or whup, another Axe-FX..."

Brilliant piece of gear, all I can say. Now I have to go learn how to use it...

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26600021/
Guitarrob wrote>
Did my first gig with the GT-1000 on Friday. Monitored on stage with an Atomic CLR and sent a direct single via sub out to the FOH. On stage sound was great and I got several compliments on my tone from audience members.

Here are a few issues I ran into though. The sub out level is VERY hot. In order to keep the input in the mixer from overloading, I had to set the output to -10 instrument level, and had to adjust the output level down to 28, from the default 50. This made the level pretty much equivalent to the output level from the main out at +4 line level and all default settings. Don't know why this is, but it's a bit strange. Anybody have any similar experience, or an explanation for this?

The other thing I noticed was that the top row switches are very close to the bottom row switches, much closer than the Helix for instance, so I found that when I went to hit button 1 or 2, I would also hit either the bank up or down switch accidentally at the same time. Once I realized what was happening, I paid a bit more attention to my foot stomping, although this caused bit of confusion for me in the early going. Otherwise, everything went great. Looking forward to my next gig on Saturday.

admin

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2018, 09:08:16 AM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26600021/
Guitarrob wrote>
Did my first gig with the GT-1000 on Friday. Monitored on stage with an Atomic CLR and sent a direct single via sub out to the FOH. On stage sound was great and I got several compliments on my tone from audience members.

Here are a few issues I ran into though. The sub out level is VERY hot. In order to keep the input in the mixer from overloading, I had to set the output to -10 instrument level, and had to adjust the output level down to 28, from the default 50. This made the level pretty much equivalent to the output level from the main out at +4 line level and all default settings. Don't know why this is, but it's a bit strange. Anybody have any similar experience, or an explanation for this?

The other thing I noticed was that the top row switches are very close to the bottom row switches, much closer than the Helix for instance, so I found that when I went to hit button 1 or 2, I would also hit either the bank up or down switch accidentally at the same time. Once I realized what was happening, I paid a bit more attention to my foot stomping, although this caused bit of confusion for me in the early going. Otherwise, everything went great. Looking forward to my next gig on Saturday.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26600206/
Jim Roseberry worote>
The GT-1000's XLR outputs set to +4dB is going to be very hot signal to a mixer input expecting mic-level signal.
This is completely normal...
If the mixer is flexible, it'll have a pad... where the input signal can be attenuated.
If the mixer doesn't have an input pad, then you've already done "plan-B" (Switch the Sub output to -10dB and adjust the Sub's volume to where it's not clipping the mixer).

Headless68

More an initial impression at this stage - 48 hours in....

Form factor - better than anything else on the market at the moment for me - just sitting perfectly in the not too large or too small & not too heavy or too light area, spot on. Screen very clear (would like to see large patch name + CTL assigns on a single screen though instead of either/or).

Sound quality - stunning - bags of headroom -real depth sonically - can't really fault it at all

'Feel' - its going to be subjective depending on what style you play etc etc but for me (in comparison to VG, Helix, Axe FX IIxl) this is straight off the bat my favourite, I had an instant connection with how the GT-1000 responds and rewards, I was just grinning while testing out for the first time because the tones were that good and had such depth dynamically. I also have lots of love for the Vox AC30 clone - it hits that 'nasal' sound great, better than the others IMHO

As initial impressions go - its a great start

I have a week of patch creation ahead & a gig next Saturday - so that will be the GT's first acid test - although I suspect I know the outcome :-)

Headless

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26843107/
gonzoknife wrote>
Had my first band practice with the GT-1000 last night. I run through the PA for practice mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to carry my FRFR back & forth. The other guitarist is using an AxeFX II but someone else programmed it and he honestly has no idea how to change anything. Overall it did well and it's a keeper. For reference I'm still trying to keep with the stock cabs instead of 3rd party IR. Here are some observations in no particular order:

1. Drummer loved my Hammond organ patch I made. I used to use a GR-55 in the band and the drummer is (often too) picky about sounds. I'm trying to get away from guitar synth so this is a huge win for me.
2. I didn't feel I was cutting through enough. I had been using condenser mic setting on my cabs because I liked it best at home. I think the DYN57 sounded better with the band.
3. I love the bluetooth editor. It made tweaking on the fly so much easier and faster than bending over and I didn't need to have my laptop hooked up.
4. I don't think it's Boss specific but my distorted amp patches seemed louder at home compared to the clean. It was the other way around at practice. I think it's eq related.
5. I wish the 1-5 switches were in the top row and the control switches on the bottom. I was using a momentary switch to change between rotary speaker fast and slow and it felt a little awkward.
6. Again not Boss specific, but going from being pedal based for all my dirt I need to get used to amp models again.
7. Two inputs would have been nice.
8. The size is killer. I came to practice with just guitar and GT-1000 in a Gator bag. Lugging around my amp and large board I always envied bass players who could walk up with their bass and maybe a small board. Now I can do it too!
9. When the screen is showing the pedal assignments, the patch name is way too small.
10. So far the only pedal I'm missing is my DOD Rubberneck delay. I could throw it in the loop but I'm trying to keep this small and simple. I'm hoping I can get the GT-1000 a little closer to the sound and feel of the DOD.
11. I was worried the Natural clean amp wouldn't cut but it sounded great.
12. The playing feel was excellent.
13. I wish there was a global Solo switch. The MS-3 has that. On the rare occasion I have two paths in a patch it would be simpler to have a global solo level.

I'm not missing my big board at all (except for that Rubberneck). I was originally planning on integrating the GT-1000 into my main board but so far I'm very optimistic I can get by with just the GT on it's own. My Amplifire & MS-3 are definitely getting sold.

nervoteso

Just got the gt1000. First impressions. Maybe i have to set better settings, some presets are muddy, also shimmer is really strange. I prefer atomic amplifire. But maybe i've to work with settings

nervoteso

finally ii've understood how to use it. it sounds great! anyway, it is not easy to use for me.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-boss-gt-1000-guitar-effects-processor.1905672/page-320#post-26944293
MJ Slaughter wrote>
I've been gigging my GT-1000 almost every weekend either direct using it's amp modeling, 4CM with my Mesa TC50 or direct with my acoustic duo using a Sigma acoustic guitar IR. In short it sounds and works very good for me. Over the years I've used the Boss GT-100, 200 and MS3 and to me there is no comparison to the GT-1000 in terms of amp sims, routing and overall flexibility.

I haven't tried the Helix, Headrush or any Fractal gear because I'm comfortable with Boss gear and once I have something that works for me I don't care to try out everything else. And I'm not much of a tweaker. Once my presets are setup I don't change anything other than to add additional presets so I'm one of those guys.

If you gig much the convenience of any good MFX board can make your life much easier.

admin

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bossgt1000/permalink/332814577472112/
Barry Faulkner
September 15 at 3:40 PM

I just got back from my first full band practice with my GT-1000 direct. I ran the main out to my JBL Eon monitor, and the sub out to our mixer. Holy moly. I never thought I'd be 100% as happy with digital as I was with my tube amp (I'm a Marshall guy, and you KNOW what douches we can be about our amps lol), but it happened! In fact this might be about the happiest I've ever been with my sound. Not running amps, I felt like I could hear my guitar better, and at the same time it was so much less overwhelming (I'm sure from the lack of all the room reflections). I didn't struggle to hear anyone's vocal or instrument. And it felt every bit as good to play. I'm overjoyed. So long, backline.

admin

http://blog.ponhalen.com/?eid=1570

Pon Halen ( Japan's premiere VH tribute band)

BOSS GT-1000 + MOOER PREAMP LIVE
iPhoneImage.png

The sound of MOOER PREAMP LIVE was pretty good so I put it in the LOOP of GT - 1000.

The board also became a little compact.

I have not tried it yet, but since PREAMP LIVE's CH can be switched with MIDI, it's a combination that can handle any tone or genre any more.

I felt that the digital came here as well.

When it comes to this, I will be concerned about MOOER's next new product GE 300.

Since the PREAMP part is also equipped with TONE CAPTURE and this image containing LIVE itself may be good, there may be all - in - one depending on how the effecter is made.

It seems that GE 300 is 3DSP loaded and so on.

If it realizes seamless program change and a certain degree of assignment, it will become the main equipment.

MOOER here is really amazing!

Elantric

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/boss-gt-1000-test.html

Boss GT-1000 test
Multi Effects Pedal
Modeling Master

With the Boss GT-1000, the Japanese group presents a new flagship in the multi-effect sector. On GT-10 and GT-100 now follows the GT-1000 with more compact dimensions and new design, and some more under the hood. The AD / DA conversion takes place at 32 bits and 96 kHz, there is a new DSP engine and a new technology: AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics) provides, according to the manufacturer for even more authentic tube sounds in a digital processor.

We know, of course, that smart marketing departments do a solid job of promoting new equipment, but we'll look into what's actually behind it. After all, our test candidate calls a shop price of stately 869 euros and romps in the league of the Line 6 Helix LTs and not very far below the headrush pedalboard. Let's see and hear if the GT-1000 can play there.

details
Housing / optics
Is this really a boss multi-effect device? The question I actually had to ask myself when first inspecting the device, because the typical elongated foot switch boss style missing, instead, ten simple round metal buttons are installed. This provides first and foremost space savings, which of course positive note, because the GT-1000 is the dimensions 462 x 248 x 70 mm (W x D x H) more compact than GT-10 and GT-100 and with a Total weight of 3.6 kg also still quite easy. It comes in a black metal case with all connections on the front and the controls on the top, right with an expression pedal. A sideways Allen screw adjusts, if necessary, its movement and the rough surface provides a perfect grip when accelerating.

The new flagship in the multi-effect sector from Boss comes up with new DSP engine and new technology.

In the lower half of the buttons are arranged in two rows, the upper one slightly increased and thus also easily accessible. In addition, the six endless parameter controls with switching function underneath the display are well protected against unintentional contact with the shoe sole. The controls have metal buttons and make a very stable impression, which you can certify by the way the complete hardware of the GT-1000, here was not saved on the quality of the components, everything is a level higher than in the previous models.

In the lower area 10 stable buttons are distributed on two levels.

The upper level houses the Bank Up / Down buttons and buttons.

Further parameters can be obtained via buttons next to the display, the output level control is responsible for the output volume at the main-out.

At the heart of the processing and programming is the high-resolution LCD display, ...

... which has six endless encoders with switching function for editing, ...

... which are arranged under the display in a row.

Back / terminals
All ports are lined up at the front end, and finally there are also good news for boss multi-effects in this category: Since the GT-Pro (2006), the GT-1000 is the first multi-effect device equipped with XLR connectors ! This pleases the guitarist on stage, because it makes the compulsory DI box superfluous. The XLR connectors are labeled SUB OUT and the signal can be completely routed and controlled independently of the Main Out (2 x jack) and Phones (stereo jack). In addition, two internal loops are available, via whose send and return ports external effect pedals can be integrated into the signal flow. And of course the GT-1000 can be connected to an amp with an effect loop using the four-cable method so that the overdrive,

The connections are located on the front of the GT-1000 and there is a lot going on.

Eight jack sockets on the left provide input, stereo output, headphone jack, and two effect loops.

Two XLR sockets make the obligatory DI box superfluous - the SUB Out is the Main Out adjustable.

Three additional sockets are available for external controllers, the USB socket is used to connect to the computer and as an audio interface.

At the bottom, two classic MIDI sockets, the power switch and the power supply socket.

Terminals labeled CTL 4.5 / EXP2 and CTL 6.7 / EXP3 are waiting for additional buttons or expression pedals to control other parameters in real time. The adjacent Amp Control jack allows you to send switching commands to an amplifier or effects device, for example, to switch the channels of the amp. A USB port for connecting to a computer is also on board, with the GT-1000 on the one hand via the Tone Control App can be conveniently set (more on that later) or works as an audio interface. Through the MIDI In and Out ports, our pedal sends or receives MIDI switching commands as needed. On the far right you will also find the connection socket for the supplied power supply.

Signal chain / Routing
The virtual pedalboard on the GT-1000 is well stocked, because even if you do not count the two noise gates, the volume pedal and the two preamps, you get 18 assignable effect blocks, which can also be used at the same time:

Pedal FX (Wah, Pedal Bend)
CMP (compressor effect freely selectable - 5 types)
EQ 1-4 (per block freely selectable EQ - Graphic or Parametric)
DS 1,2 (per block selectable Boost / Overdrive / Distortion / Fuzz - 24 types)
FX1-3 (each block various effects of Auto-Wah, modulation to Slicer - 27 types)
MST DLY (Master Delay - 12 types)
DLY 1-4 (sound of the master delay, different time, feedback, etc. settings)
CHO (Chorus Effect - 4 types)
REV (Reverb - 10 types)

With the delay one can select an effect type (analog, tape, etc.) with the master delay. Delays 1 - 4 set different settings of this delay basic sound and also switch them one after the other - a delay sound with five different settings.

The Virtual Pedalboard features 18 customizable effect blocks. Noise Gates, Volume Pedal, and Two Preamps.

A delay sound with five different settings is adjustable.

The display is easy to read and display both the name of the preset, ...

... as well as the number of storage space ready.

The six knobs are assigned different parameters depending on the current menu setting.

In the main menu you have access to the most important settings.

The Virtual Pedalboard features 18 Noise Gates, Volume Pedal, and the two Preamps 18 customizable effect blocks.

Then there are the two AIRD preamps, each with 16 different models to choose from. The signal chain is freely assignable, which relates to the individual modules that can be moved to any point in the chain. In addition, there are also parallel paths that are opened via one of the three dividers (DIV 1-3). For example, you can choose between two amp sounds (including different effects) or fire two amps in stereo.

Parallel signal path for switching between A and B

Parallel path in stereo - path 1 on the left, path 2 on the right

Service
The individual patches are selected via parameter knob 1 (if the main window is displayed) or via the footswitches. There are 50 banks of 5 patches each, banks being selected with the bank up / down buttons, and patches in the bottom row with buttons 1 through 5. The CTL buttons 1 through 3 then control additional functions such as effects on / off, tap tempo, tuner on / off etc. at the selected patch. All buttons are completely freely assignable. For example, you could set up a patch so that individual effects can be activated with all ten buttons, basically like a normal pedalboard. Switching the individual patches is done without a large signal interruption, but a "real" delay spillover is only possible if both patches use the same delay. If you switch from a sound with analog delay to one with tape delay, the echo will continue to sound with the new sound (tape). When the delay is switched off directly within the patch via a CTL button, it will sound out slowly.

Programming the button assignment in the Boss Tone Studio app

The operating concept for editing on the device itself runs on the display and with the six parameter knobs, effect modules can be set and changed. Press the effect button and the complete signal chain will be shown in the display. The currently selected module is framed, with the controller 6, the modules are selected and by simultaneously pressing and turning the controller, the module can be moved. As soon as a module is selected, the parameters are displayed at the bottom of the display and can be changed with the knobs 1 to 5. If additional parameters are available to adjust the effect, the page buttons are used to "turn the page", the next parameters are displayed and changed with the appropriate knobs. With five parameter knobs available, operating the device is quite convenient and settings can be quickly modified. Furthermore, there is the possibility of saving ten different settings of each effect module as a so-called "stomp box". If you use certain settings of an effect more often, this is a very time-saving affair.

Boss Tone Studio App
The Boss Tone Studio app makes editing much easier and clearer. To do this, the GT-1000 driver and app must be downloaded from the Boss website and installed on the machine. In my case, I had to load and install the driver twice, only then recognized the Tone Studio app and the GT-1000 on the USB connection. After that, everything went well and without problems.

The Boss Tone Studio app is clearly structured. On the left side all patches are listed, in the upper half you can see the signal path and underneath the parameters of the selected module are displayed, which can then be changed. Everything is graphically presented sober, but fully functional and clear.

Preamp parameters

Distortion parameters

https://www.bonedo.de/typo3temp/GB/csm_Boss_GT_1000_06_30d817952a_089add753c.png

Delay parameters

When controlling via a smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth, it is important that the connection to the GT-1000 happens when opening the app. Even more important is to check that the GT-1000's Bluetooth switch is set to On. You can find it in Menu - Hardware Settings - Other. From the factory Bluetooth was not activated in the test device and you are looking desperately on the smartphone / tablet for the GT-1000, because even in the manual is not noted that Bluetooth must first be activated on the GT-1000. The app is fine for the small display on the smartphone, but does not look as clear as the desktop version and works only in portrait format, which spreads the amp parameters on three pages. So the matter was decided quickly: I stay at the computer editing!

practice
The GT-1000 is now directly connected to the audio interface via the SUB-Out and we are doing the complete blind start with the first four presets, without any editing.

The presets are, as so often, a bit "over the top" and quite violently full of effects, which is more or less without visible order in the rest of the memory slots. Although it can be guessed that actually rich and high-quality effects are available here, but the sounds are not practical for the most part. That's why it's up to you to do everything: start everything from zero to base.

For this there is the function "Clear" in the app, which performs a complete reset of the selected patch and only a preamp and the reverb keeps running. That's exactly what is happening now and we can listen to samples of different amp types. I did some fine cosmetics on the SUB Out Master EQ, because the amp sounds were a bit too weak on my chest because of the bank. I have therefore slightly raised the lower midrange (200 Hz + 2dB). It is definitely a very practical matter if each output has its own Master EQ, which allows the signal to be optimally matched to the connected speakers. Now it gets more powerful and the basic sounds can be a good sound quality and dynamism certify.

The GT-1000 offers amp simulations with neat pressure and very transparent sound, coupled with a rich effect offer.

I like the clean and mid gain amp models very well, it sounds a bit synthetic at high gain sounds, they are not in my opinion the specialty of the GT-1000. The dynamic response is remarkable, the response to the volume pot on the guitar works well, as you could hear in the penultimate example. Here comes the whole thing with the X-Hi gain amp and the Les Paul under the magnifying glass again: first volume on the guitar at 4, then 6, 8 and 10. At the low setting, the sound is almost clean, then takes the Zerrgrad according to evenly and with the regulator turned up, there is the juicy Zerrbrett, in which the individual string stops are still clearly visible.

The amp models are really well done, a jump in quality can be clearly heard and felt, which the sound samples to the dynamic response also prove. The effects are the same. That Boss can produce guitar effects, is beyond question, but not always the multi-effects of the last generations were also qualitatively located in the upper segment. The GT-1000 can compete with the effects section clearly with the competitors in the same price segment (Helix LT, Headrush Pedalboard). The processor is very powerful and does not sag even if you apply a bit more lush with effects. The standards such as chorus, tremolo, reverb or delay are delivered in good quality, plus a few specials for sound inventors, such as the synth sounds, the slicer or the multi-overtone with its organ-like sounds. Its performance shows the processor in the supreme discipline Harmonist, where I have added two votes (-4 left, +3 right) and did not save on the use of the vibrato lever when importing. The harmonist was not impressed by this and delivered clean second voices. Here is a small selection from the effect repertoire.

Conclusion (4.5 / 5)
Boss has launched the GT-1000, a multi-effect with amp simulation at the start, which is located at a retail price of 869 euros in a higher price range than the previous boss multis. But the price is more than justified, because the effect unit is high-quality and also very well equipped on the hardware side. There are finally XLR outputs and two internal effects loops for integrating effect pedals. The amp simulations generate modeling amp sounds with decent pressure, a dynamic response and a very transparent sound. The effects are plentiful and the powerful processor ensures that the sound quality is maintained even with performance-hungry effects. Those looking for an all-in-one solution for the stage and studio should try the GT-1000.

PROs
impeccable workmanship
transparent and dynamic amp models
big effect selection
Editing via Boss Tone Studio app
Patch download via Boss-Tone-Central
two effect loops
flexible signal routing
large LCD display

CONs
Presets sometimes too effect laden

The Boss GT-1000 is recommended with great modeling amp sounds and good effect selection as an all-in-one solution for stage and studio.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Manufacturer: Boss
Model: GT-1000
Type: Multi-effect device
Country of origin: China
Controller: Output Level, 6 x parameters
Footswitches: Bank Up, Bank Down, CTL1, CTL2, CTL3, Patch 1-5
Pedal: expression pedal with switch function
Connections: Input, 2x Main Out, Phones, 2x Send, 2x Return, 2x SUB Out, 2x CTL / EXP, AMP CTL, USB
Display: LCD display
AD / DA conversion: 32 bits
Sample Rate: 96 kHz
Memory: 250 presets, 250 user memory slots
Dimensions: 462 x 248 x 70 mm (W x D x H)
Weight: 3.6 kg
Sales price: 869,00 Euro (July 2018)

mjfox75

Quote from: DML on May 21, 2018, 04:07:04 AM
Just about two weeks ago I bought the GT-1000. Used the Kemper Profiler for two years now, exclusively.
And last week I sold both my Kemper's  ;D
This is my live board now:

What's the metal box with the yellow triangle! ?

DML

Quote from: mjfox75 on December 09, 2018, 10:57:38 AM

What's the metal box with the yellow triangle! ?

It's nothing more than a "power connecting box", so Powercon (the blue connector) in on the left and 230V out to the GT1000's powersupply on the right. The box is a simple Hammond box.
Boss GT-1000core, Gibson Explorer 2018, Höfner travel guitar, 4x Framus Renegade Pro, Framus Panthera, Framus Panthera Custom 7, G&L Asat, Rocktron/Egnater Velocity Valve, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L, 2x Mesa Thiele EVM12L Road Ready, Voes MX12 midi controller, Ovation 2078TX-5 Elite, PJB Cub II - AG150.

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27917535/

QuoteFireheart7 said: ↑
Honest q, is the gt1000 your current fav.? What do you love about it? I like Boss, everything I buy from them is built like a tank. Had the gt1 but felt the reverb realism is where it felt short. But tracked songs with it with no issues. Is the effect chain static in the gt1000 or completely flexible?

FuzzFacetious wrote>

Flexible in that (on GT-1000)  you can move anything anywhere, static in the sense that you have 2 amps max, 1 reverb block max, etc (as opposed to Zoom, where, DSP depending, you could have any block be anything you want / as many instances of any effect you want) but at the same time you have more than enough of everything that you don't feel limited (reverb block has dual reverb/ you can assign it to change from one kind to another with the touch of a foot switch, you have tonnes of modulation blocks etc ) so it's not static.
I hope that answers the question.
Why is it my favourite? I get the best tones I've ever heard through it, I can match Wes Borland's whacky tones from his weirdest songs with ease, I can get lush cleans, sweet high gains and everything in between.
I'm not saying I couldn't get that with the rivals (if I had the money I'd definitely buy a Helix and HR, in fact I'm looking at one ot the other in the small form factor for bass) but it's so easy and great sounding with the Boss.