Was the Fender TriplePlay Strat a decent instrument?

Started by frummox, September 06, 2017, 07:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frummox

My tiny guitar synth arm consists of an Ibanez with a GK-3 and Fernandes Sustainer, a Brian Moore iGuitar and a Hohner Steinberger with a Fishman TriplePlay. Curious about the Fender TriplePlay which appears to be quite rare on the used market. Were very few made? Why did the Godin continue to survive but not the Fender? Were there inherent problems with the Fender TriplePlay?

Elantric

Read the threads
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15509.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.0

I really like my FTP Strat  - I ended up with two (purchased used), and one that is just a fully loaded body with no neck (from Stratosphere back in 2015 for $399)

These are very high tech guitars for Fender. I like that I can use a stock FTP Strat and an iPad and be productive with songwriting , Audio recording, drive IOS Synths via MIDI,  transcribing songs, with nothing else needed.

I intend to install a fatter 50's profile warmoth neck on my FTP Strat loaded body - as I much prefer fatter profile necks over 90% of what is being sold today on standard Fenders.     

Only source for Fender Tripleplay Strats in 2017  are existing Fender dealer inventory, or used market.

Ive used both Godin and Fender, and feel the Fender Tripleplay Strat has substantial advantages over the Godin. Just read the spec sheets of both and decide for yourself.

My only annoyance is lack of tone controls on the FTP Strat - instead you have "Normal PU Volume, MIDI Synth Volume , USB Audio Return Volume - audio feeds an onboard 24 bit USB audio class compliant interface and I connect headphones directly to the guitar's stereo headphone jack for practice.     

plethoraguy

I'm very happy with mine.   I really like the stealth midi aspect of it.   

frummox

Any European guys out there with a TriplePlay Strat (or anyone else that can answer this)? Did Fender make one version of the instrument with the same charger or did they customize it in some way for European usage? Also, did those sold in Europe broadcast on the same frequencies to the receiver? Reason I'm asking is I'm looking at one in Europe for U.S. use.

frummox

Answering my own question. Spoke to Fishman on the phone this morning. Although they do make a European version of the external TriplePlay that transmits on different bands than the US version (noted in their FAQS section) there was only a US version of the TriplePlay Strat. They also told me that almost any phone charger would work with the TriplePlay as long as it had the appropriate plugs.

plethoraguy

I'm the thread below this one, I just posted a recording made with my fender fishman tripleplay.  I've got a considerable amount of mixing mojo on it of course but I think the sound is pretty luscious.

I've had my ftp for more than a year but I've never actually recorded anything with it until this weekend (mostly use it live to fatten my sound) but I'm kinda stoked at this rhodes piano w neck pickup sound I've got going.     

http://soundcloud.com/john-thomas-199/shes-so-solo

I am posting this as an answer to two recent threads...     clean playing means less artifacts, and how does the fender fishman strat sound.    Other than the drums this is all fender triple play.   1  roades piano track (midi from triple play), 1 track of neck pickup combined with a warmer  roades, and finally the solo with the same neck + roades setup but slightly different mix. 

Vade

Reposted from a SoundCloud comment by plethoraguy-

https://soundcloud.com/vadie/cascade-live

@ "Love the tones in this piece... What's your signal chain?"

Very glad you liked the tones Plethoraguy and I liked what you laid down as well.
The short answer is Godin xtSA w/FTP => Boss GP-10 => VoiceLive 3 => audio interface => mini pc in my pedal board => Sonar DAW where synths are driven by FTP plus Imitone mic to midi software and added to the mix. The longer version is found in my VGuitar blog with page 5 being a good place to start and many details are to be found in post #106.

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10117.100

Edited comment for VGuitar-

I've added an important piece to my rig since "Cascade Live" was recorded plethoraguy and that was a mod to my Fender Fishman Triple Play Stratocaster. It's actually rather simple to add a Roland GK3 to this guitar and get Roland's guitar modeling added to your mag pickups and FTP. "Ambient Steel" gives a hint as to what you can add to your rig as all the guitar tones were generated live on the fly.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie/ambient-steel

Details of the mod here...

Note: this is the same link Elantric posted above but I wanted to emphasize that this is a possibility for you plethoraguy. Enjoy!

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

plethoraguy

GAHHHH!!!    :o

That is very complex!  And I thought I had a complex system.  :)

So the GP10 is your cosm engine?

I've given some thought to adding the gk3 internal but;
A) the fishman midi is very good and pretty much sufficient for my needs. 
B) reluctant to have a 13 pin midi cable coming off my guitar (I specifically got my fender FTP strat because the tech is virtually invisible (no wart) and wireless (as you know)
C) the related threads seem to have some contradictory info in them-- Is it really as simple as carefully double connecting the FTP pickup to both the FTP and GK3 boards or are other electronics involved?

Vade

@ "So the GP10 is your cosm engine?"

The GP-10 is my COSM engine and I think it complements the FTP beautifully. I tend to use the FTP - and the mic to midi software – to drive synths for a lush ambient background. With the mod I have the GK3 feeding the GP-10 and thus I have my choice of modeled guitar such as Autana's great nylon string patches or a growly Les Paul/Marshall stack along with the classic Strat sounds from my magnetic pickups. I use my VoiceLive 3 for loops to play over and I'm good to go. What makes the mod so appealing is you get all of that on a guitar without the "warts" installed on it. It looks quite similar to a regular Strat and the 13 pin cable just isn't much of an issue IMO. It's a tad stiffer and you need to carry a spare because the cables aren't easily replaced on short notice but other than that it's no biggie; it works for me in any case.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

admin

IMHO the FTP is no substitute for the GP-10

GP-10 using its DSP processing on each string results in a live performance tool with minimum latency 

plethoraguy

That's a beautiful setup.   Probably too complex for me, but I admit I am becoming more intrigued by the gk3.   Got any pix of the details?
Did you have to route out anything to fit the internal roland circuit or the 2(?) added controls I see on your pickguard?
And I have to re ask;   Did you need any additional electronics (other than a properly wired connector) to interface the FTP pickup to the GK3? 
Obviously you have to drill for the 13 pin connector down near the regular jack.
I don't suppose you are in the SoCal area so I could have a look?

admin

Quote from: plethoraguy on September 27, 2017, 03:49:04 PM
That's a beautiful setup.   Probably too complex for me, but I admit I am becoming more intrigued by the gk3.   Got any pix of the details?
Did you have to route out anything to fit the internal roland circuit or the 2(?) added controls I see on your pickguard?

6 pages of pics and all details here

FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit

whippinpost91850

But will it drive hardware or Soft synths with little or no Latency

Vade

@ "But will it drive hardware or Soft synths with little or no Latency"

I'm not sure if that question was directed at me or not Paul but I'm going to answer it anyway; just in case;)

My midi note path is usually FTP => pc => Sonar => audio interface => amplification and so it's roughly as quick as any mid level PC FTP setup, i.e., pretty good as regards latency. I've not tested a hardware synth but it's FTP and I suspect it would be fine. I've a second midi note pathway generated by my SoftStep 2 but I tend to favor using the SoftStep 2 for midi control. The GK-3 => Gp-10 => VL3 => etc. tends to add a bit more latency but it's not enough to be an issue for a home studio hack like moi.

That said, how's your project going? If you've posted on it I missed it. Hopefully you and Steve will finish your GK3/FTP/ATG-1 trifecta someday and do a write-up people can actually understand.

plethoraguy

"The bottom line is that when using a Fender FTP Stratocaster as a guitar to mod you can run a simple 8 wire jumper from the built in FTP to a Roland GK3 internal kit you buy and install. Fender's built in hex pick-up will feed both the FTP and the GK3"

THANKS Vade, this was the "cut to the chase" comment I was looking for.  As happens so often in threads they can be a compounding and therefore confounding source of data, some speculative, some not relevant, and some applicable.   I had trouble sorting through that one.   At least now, I know it's strictly a mechanical mod, no fancy circuitry needed.   That was a major concern.

Vade

@ "THANKS Vade, this was the "cut to the chase" comment I was looking for."

You're welcome sir. I've posted that "bottom line" comment several places hoping to cut down on the confusion. If you decide to do the mod then just show a luthier the pics of where I placed the GK-3 and have Gumbo send you an eight wire jumper to give to him. Or you could just grab a chisel and bang it like an old drum and hope for the best like I did;) Great good luck and fortune to you in any case.

rockzvezda1

Hey guys, I have a Fender Fishman Tripleplay Stratocaster and thinking to sale it with all accessories, FC-1 pedal and Livid guitar wing.

I'm in Australia. Is anyone here from AU who wants to buy this bundle?

kenact

Quote from: frummox on September 06, 2017, 07:20:52 AM
Why did the Godin continue to survive but not the Fender? Were there inherent problems with the Fender TriplePlay?

Just an update regarding Godin, they have ceased making TriplePlay guitars as well. I actually bought the last Montreal Premiere TriplePlay last year. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7