Will a GK 3 work on a bass

Started by mewoodall1, July 20, 2017, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mewoodall1

I have a brand new GK3 - will it work on a bass guitar? Any major differences?

Elantric

Kevin M

I think the significant differences between the GK3 and GK3B would be space between the individual pickups as well as number - 6 vs 4 (although I've never owned the bass version).

admin

That's the big GK-3B misunderstood issue

it also supports five and six string bass  - as well as four string basses

gumtown

String spacing will be the problem, the GK-3 will only fit a narrow string spacing like the Fender/Squier Bass VI.

And the HEX unit used (GR synth) for bass is only limited to GR-55 in bass mode, GR-20 in bass mode, or VB-99 and V-Bass units.
Will not work with guitar specific processing units.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Tony Raven

Quote from: gumtown on July 20, 2017, 09:39:28 PMthe HEX unit used (GR synth) for bass ... will not work with guitar specific processing units.
A-hah!!! Now THAT is a valuable crumb -- thanks.  :)

Hurricane

8)
I have never played a bass with this on it  .

¿ Is the latency an issue with this bass synthesizer
set up ?  :o

EZ :

HR

gumtown

Latency is always a problem on bass for PCM synth and pitch to midi, more so on the lower half of the register.
For HRM modelled tones, no problems at all.
The GR synth has to be capable of working with bass too, only the GR-20 and GR-55 set to 'Bass Mode', (and previous generation analog GR-300 bass variant).
There is also the V-Bass and VB-99, which are bass dedicated versions of the VG-8/VG-88, VG99 modelling systems.

The only bass I have which fits  the regular GK-3 is my Squier bass vi, but still requires a GR/VG unit which supports bass mode.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Hurricane

:)
Quote from: gumtown on August 07, 2017, 01:34:44 AM
Latency is always a problem on bass for PCM synth and pitch to midi, more so on the lower half of the register.
For HRM modelled tones, no problems at all.
The GR synth has to be capable of working with bass too, only the GR-20 and GR-55 set to 'Bass Mode', (and previous generation analog GR-300 bass variant).
There is also the V-Bass and VB-99, which are bass dedicated versions of the VG-8/VG-88, VG99 modelling systems.

The only bass I have which fits  the regular GK-3 is my Squier bass vi, but still requires a GR/VG unit which supports bass mode.

8)

¿ Does your mentioning of the GR 20 & 55 being able to cut it mean that the GR33 or other 30 series don't cut it ?

EZ :

HR

admin

Only a select few GK processors support Bass

GR-20 with updated firmware

GR-55

VBass

VB-99

Hurricane

DreamTheory

Before I got my bass pickup I just plugged the bass into the guitar in on my guitar's GK3. Turn on (GR-55) bass mode. Access the amp models and effects from your bass, and the synths from your guitar. It works as a stop gap till you buy a GKB.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

xcession

THanks for the information on this. Very helpful. I've got a spare GK-3 and a Squire Jaguar. I'm first going to try the GK-3 as is, but if not, I'm going to either take it apart and see if I can move the pickups to fit, or fiddle with the bridge to make it fit. Will report back if taking the unit apart works. Otherwise, just thanks for the advice and wisdom.
terminal amateur noise maker
2 x Godin XTSA & 2 x GR-55
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

MakeNoise Shared System Plus

Jaap

I am considering buying a Squier VI.
To use it with my GR-55, I have to put the GR-55 in bass mode.

What is the best GK pick-u for the Squier VI ? The GK-kit-3 or the GK-kit-3B ?

gumtown

Quote from: Jaap on November 01, 2020, 01:47:08 PM
I am considering buying a Squier VI.
To use it with my GR-55, I have to put the GR-55 in bass mode.

What is the best GK pick-u for the Squier VI ? The GK-kit-3 or the GK-kit-3B ?

The GK-3 for guitar is best, as the string spacing is correct.
The GK-3B string spacing is too far apart for a Bass VI, as the Bass VI has the same string spacing as a regular guitar.
The actual GK-3 pickup does not seem to make much difference to the sound/tone, except in Bass mode there is no option for a guitar GK-3, but the GK-3B option still works fine.

Here is my Bass VI with an external GK-3 pickup
also note I had to cut the saddle screws shorter for the E & A strings to be able to set the correct intonation, and not have the end of the screws cause string buzz,
after replacing the horrible Fender strings with a set of LaBella's (26~95).

Jaap

Thanks ! I will give it a try......