I just realized what the next EHX ___9 pedal is going to be

Started by Rhcole, July 16, 2017, 12:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

It's going to be the DX9.
I feel it in my bones. The realization literally dropped out of the air as I was working on something else. So much for my "Pad9" suggestion.
If for some reason Yamaha owns the "DX" designation then it will be the FM9.

Put your credit cards away, it won't be out for a long time. They're working on it now. It won't be easy. EHX's groundbreaking technology has limitations- high frequencies cut off around 8 - 10k, pitch shifts are still the devil to solve. But they will get it good enough to release a pedal with 9 DX sounds.
The centerpiece will be the "ching-chong" sounding DX7 piano that drove you crazy if you had to listen to it too often, as in EVERY pop/soul/MOR recording for 10 years or so. They will also have a DX7 bass, along with a pad or two, some horns, and maybe one or two other patches that feature the chimey sounds of the DX7. It won't sparkle like the sounds out of a real DX7.

But it will be pretty amazing.

Look for a Bill Ruppert video with an old film of a transmitter beaming out FM radio waves while an announcer talks about the revolution of FM. Then WOOSH, there's Bill R playing the chingy-chong FM piano sound right before your very ears from some well-known song.