Boomer Surf Band - Sunday June 4 , 2017 Pismo Beach, CA

Started by Elantric, June 01, 2017, 01:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://www.facebook.com/winewavesandbeyond/

Alongside the Surf Contest, there will be the 805 Classic Beach Party featuring a FREE concert on the beach with Live Music by Boomer Surf Band 12:30pm-2:30pm
and Shane Stoneman on Sunday, June 4th at The Beach House in front of the SeaVenture Resort!
Enjoy our festive Beer Garden featuring the brews of local favorite Firestone Walker Brewing Company and delicious tastes from these local food trucks: Grilled Cheese Incident, Shaka Shack, Pairing Knife, & the Ribline. Additionally, there will be a Vintage VW display! #WineWavesBeyond

BOOMER SURF BAND -
Steve Conrad (Guitar) was inspired to play guitar after watching the Chantays record the surf hit "Pipeline" in Downey California   - and grew up near Guitar  Tremolo inventor  Paul Bigsby., then moved to Glendora, California – and would attend local surf band - the Surfaris (Wipe Out) rehearsals. After college NIU (DeKalb, Illinois), Steve relocated to Los Angeles.  I wrote and performed the incidental music for a cult SCI-FI film "LazerBlast, and toured the southwest with Rocket 88 band - whose members went on to big time with Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ratt, and Wang Chung. Steve became service manager at Valley Arts Guitar in Studio City, CA just off Laurel Canyon. Was "pit crew" for "The LA Wrecking Crew". Steve moved to San Luis Obispo in 1999 to work for Ernie Ball / Music Man, as an electronic design engineer, creating DSP digital audio processing equipment for the Cinema industry and performed as lead guitarist in local bands: Kristen Black Band, "The Dentures", (Ventures tribute band) who performed with Paul Johnson (Mr. Moto), Dick Dale (Miserloo),  Boomer Surf Band, and Riff Tide.

Geert DeLange (Bass) is a local California Central Coast upright and electric bass player has layed down the solid groove for a crazy amount of local working bands over the years.
He was a 15 year member of the Mighty Croondogs, and more recently with Lunar Radio, Kristen Black Band, Boomer Surf Trio, David Jones Band, Charlie Baker Band as well as a long history playing Bluegrass, Americana, and acoustic jazz at festivals around the state. In concert venues, Geert has opened up for Lovin Spoonful and Roger Creager.
Curtis Miller (Drums) of the The Miller Broz. have been featured in numerous music sound including "Journey to the Impact Zone" a surf film which aired at the Sundance Film Festival
Curtis also plays drums for the very popular San Luis Obispo "beer grass" band, The Mother Corn Shuckers.

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Boomer Surf Band @ Pismo Beach - Limbo contest 

gumbo

Good to see a healthy disregard for the UV rating...   ;D ;D

...how did your gear fare, Steve ?

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

Sun blocker was applied !

The bass player used his genuine 1957 fender PBase

I  played  my Squier Jazz Master  and Dipinto Galaxie  4
It went well- the crowd was spread across the beach so there's more people who  attended than the pics depict

I actually used my typical pedal board (fender tube reverb, Boss LS-20 as a solo boost) feeding a Roland Cube 80 XL ( self-contained enclosed speaker cab  wins for this tone ) with its line out feeding a Palmer PDI-O9 as a DI box to PA

I love my PDI-09, I use it as a PA DI box from the Line Output on a Cube 80XL

- No Attenuation and EQ switch on "Normal" - but GND is Lifted = no hum guitar audio feed to the PA, works great for me.

Hope to post a couple videos soon

whippinpost91850

Elantric

Elantric

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on June 16, 2017, 04:01:48 AM
Good to see a healthy disregard for the UV rating...   ;D ;D

...how did your gear fare, Steve ?

Peter
"J. Frank Parnell: Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. " ;D

whippinpost91850

Steve, you guys sounded very good.  Cool video as seen from the stage

gumbo

Quote from: chrish on June 18, 2017, 09:10:52 AM
"J. Frank Parnell: Ever been to Utah? Ra-di-a-tion. Yes, indeed. You hear the most outrageous lies about it. Half-baked goggle-box do-gooders telling everybody it's bad for you. Pernicious nonsense. " ;D

...yeah...if only that were true...    :-\

gumbo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 18, 2017, 11:17:04 AM
Steve, you guys sounded very good.  Cool video as seen from the stage

I second that !  ...well done Steve !    8)

chrish

Quote from: gumbo on June 18, 2017, 04:04:19 PM
...yeah...if only that were true...    :-\
that quote in my previous post is of course from the cult  movie classic "Repo Man".

Steve's band reminded me of that movie. Especially that sweeping Bass line.

gumbo

Quote from: chrish on June 18, 2017, 05:31:18 PM
that quote in my previous post is of course from the cult  movie classic "Repo Man".

Steve's band reminded me of that movie. Especially that sweeping Bass line.

...yep, did unnerstand that..   ;)

...here in Oz we get constantly bombarded with warnings about the UV Radiation levels each day..
...given the fact that I believe we are World Leaders in skin cancer, they've probably got a point.

Although I guess it's great to finally be World Leaders in something..   ::)

Elantric

I'm Playing in a vintage surf / blues Trio at age 63.

But playing smaller venues ( local wineries) and must play at lower volume , so Good warm Tone is what its all about - so  last night I decided to skip the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster , (which employs Seymour P90 voiced pickups under Jazzmaster PU covers)  and instead ( thanks to the CME sale last year!)  use my recently acquired Gibson Les Paul ES P90 with Bigsby

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/ES-Les-Paul-Gold-top-P-90-w-Bigsby-VOS.aspx

What a great guitar !

Big factor is the 24 3/4" scale length and fatter neck on the ES LP vs the Squier.

If I play the Squier ( or any guitar with a thin neck profile) more than an hour, I tend to develop left hand cramps, as in a trio  - I need to cover a lot of ground =   a lot of chords and string bending

Played 3 hour gig full throttle and ( finally) - no hand cramps, and it stayed in tune all night  - doing lots of trem bar use  - still with the factory 010-46 strings

I used my Les Paul ES P90 > 63 Fender Spring Reverb > Barber Tone Press > EHX OD Glove > Fender Super Champ XD w/ Celestion G10 Vintage 10"  on clean channel (Volume on "2")

This worked very well, and ( compared to my Fender type guitars) discovered a more balanced tone for my D,G,B, strings when playing arpeggios - and the Gibson Hollowbody LP had a nice woody "Les Piercing" tone which works much better when playing the low volume required at the venues I play.

Played everything from Los Straightjackets / Dick Dale / Downey Records catalog tunes to new orleans blues  - the Gibson Les Paul ES P90 with Bigsby covered it all - bone stock guitar, it has a reverse magnet on the neck PU which means when both PU's provide humbucking action - same tone as a stock '57 LP with P90's  - but I have no noise problems with this guitar

Neck is not as big as my '58 VOS gibson custom shop guitars, but still comfortable.
I grew up playing Gibsons and there is a lot to be said for "muscle memory"  - the Controls were all in the right place , and band had a full tip jar and I got several compliments on my sound.
Nice woody tone with excellent clarity for all strings - great guitar

whippinpost91850

Sounds good. I've been playing gibsons all my life and find then very comfortable for a 5 set bar gig

admin

Elantric

Recent gig rig for surf band   - low volume gig this past Saturday for private party  at winery

Signal flow : Guitar > Fender Tube Reverb> Barber Tone Press > EHX OD Glove >VB-2 > LS-2 (Booster)> Echo Park > Fender Super Champ XD w/ Celestion G10 Vintage Speaker

Elantric

shannonrichards

Excellent performance. I wish I saw it live.