Katana - How to install the Firmware update, USB driver and Boss Tone Studio

Started by admin, December 09, 2016, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DugT

On July 29, 2017, I got a new k100 and it doesn't follow either of the two scenarios mentioned in the Firmware Version test below. When I do the test, all of the Tone Setting light stay on. According to the procedure below they should blink or stay dark. Also, all of the AMP Lights stay on. What does that mean?

A) Update the Katana Amp firmware
How to tell the Katana Amp Firmware version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA
* Move the [POWER CONTROL] switch to "STANDBY."
* Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
* If any "TONE SETTING" indicator is flashing, carry out update.
* If all "TONE SETTING" indicators are dark, the unit is at the most recent version. No update operation is necessary.
* When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.
* Don't perform the update if the product is already up-to-date.

admin

QuoteStarted by admsustainiac - Last post by DugT
On July 29, 2017, I got a new k100 and it doesn't follow either of the two scenarios mentioned in the Firmware Version test below. When I do the test, all of the Tone Setting light stay on. According to the procedure below they should blink or stay dark. Also, all of the AMP Lights stay on. What does that mean?

No idea
email Boss US service
https://www.bossus.com/backstage/login/

DugT

Quote from: DugT on July 31, 2017, 11:35:24 AM

A) Update the Katana Amp firmware
How to tell the Katana Amp Firmware version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA
* Move the [POWER CONTROL] switch to "STANDBY."
* Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
* If any "TONE SETTING" indicator is flashing, carry out update.
* If all "TONE SETTING" indicators are dark, the unit is at the most recent version. No update operation is necessary.
* When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.

Thanks, admsustainiac.

I emailed BOSS and they recommended a slightly different procedure.

"* Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
This line may be reworded:
* Hold down the [TAP] button while turning the POWER switch ON, continue to hold the [TAP] button for 3 seconds and let go.

Then check TONE SETTING indicator LEDs" to see if they are flashing or dark.

My TONE LEDs were solidly on when I held down the TAP button but when I let go of the button the LEDs started flashing and kept flashing. Apparently I have the older firmware.

Elantric

Quote from: SeeMoore, post: 24999930, member: 9435The instructions say:
Please open/extract the downloaded "katana_sys_v201.zip" file on your computer to get the two update files named "ROMINFO.TXT" and "KATANARM.BIN" in the "katana_sys_v201" folder.

But when I try to extract the files nothing happens.
Do the files extract after being loaded into the Katana?
Your computer OS extracts the zip file FIRST

STEP #1 Highlight the downloaded file, and  Click "Extract All Files"

STEP #2 Click "Extract"

STEP #3 Locate the newly created folder and locate the two firmware update files

leshogan

Came home today with a new2me KTN-50.  Updated the firmware on the amp; no problem.
Had Adobe Air installed already from GP-10 Tone Studio installation.

Have tried installing the Katana Windows 7/8 driver in many different modes; admin & non admin install, using setup in first file folder, using setup in the Win7 file folder...   All result in Win7 denying the driver because "driver is not digitally signed".  The driver supposedly does complete, but it don't work.

The Katana Tone Studio Does install and seems operational, but not w/o the driver functioning.

I did write to Roland for email support on this.  Also asked them if the GP-10 and KTN-50 could work simoultaneously on their respective Tone Studios on the same computer.  Hopefully this doesn't come down to some incompatibility with an AMD chipset.  This was originally a Win 10 upscale HP laptop that was retrofitted for Win 7 pro64 so music and photo software would work smoothly.  Guess we'll see...    Nice upgrade with the firmware, if nothing else.

ETA:   so 5 mins later, in the next thread I find the post that SOLVES my situation!   All that was necessary was to disable required digital signature by holding F8 at startup and arrowing down the options to boot Win 7 in that mode!   Yeah buddy!  The amp settings on screen respond to movements on the amp and all is right with the world. 

Thank you, Admustainiac for your comment here:
Re: Boss Katana Amps - USB Drivers   « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23894205/

Need some help with the software, actually the driver installation. When I attempted to install the driver on my Win 7 64 bit SP 1 machine I was informed that my version of Windows does not recognize the driver signature and will not install it. I uninstalled it and tried again, still no soap. I uninstalled it again, downloaded it again from the Boss site (in case it had been corrupted somehow), tried to reinstall from the second download but still get that message and the failure to install. Any one run into this or have any idea how to get around it?

I had the same issue. Here's the work around that actually works. You need to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement:

Step 1. Enter the Advanced Options menu.
Windows 7

To enter the Advanced Options menu in Windows 7 S:

1 Close all programs and reboot your computer.
2 Press the "F8" key as your computer is booting up, before the appearance of the Windows logo.
3 When the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" appears on your screen, use your keyboard arrow keys to highlight the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" option and then press "ENTER".

4 once your computer is up and running install the driver. If it still doesn't work, go to the device manager and manually update the katana driver by browsing to it. That should do it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:03:41 PM by admsustainiac »

Harmonious

I have a new MacBook pro. Do I still need to install Adobe Air?
Thank you.

gumtown

Quote from: Harmonious on January 03, 2018, 02:54:13 AM
I have a new MacBook pro. Do I still need to install Adobe Air?
Thank you.
If you want to run Boss Tone Studio (BTS) then  YES.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

https://www.boss.info/au/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
https://www.boss.info/ru/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
https://www.boss.info/global/products/katana-100_212/downloads/

https://www.boss.info/jp/products/katana-100_212/downloads/

https://www.boss.info/nl/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
https://www.boss.info/fr/products/katana-100_212/downloads/

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/

https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
KATANA SYSTEM PROGRAM (VER.3.00)
Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 3 as a set with KATANA series version 3.
How to tell the version
Please check the version of the system working on your KATANA before downloading the archive file.

Turn the POWER switch on while holding down the [ TAP ] button.
If the indicators light up as described below, the system is at the latest version.
When the [ POWER CONTROL ] switch is adjusted to "0.5W," the indicator for "DELAY/FX" and "REVERB" lights up.

If the indicators light up in a different way than just described, perform an update.
When you have finished verifying the version, turn off the power.

Update history
[ Ver.3.00 ] DEC 2018
Additional Functions
When using reverb or other stereo effects, USB Audio OUT carries the stereo signal.
"GE-10" was added to TYPE for EQ (PATCH EQ) and GLOBAL EQ.
"95E Pedal Wah" and "Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
It is now possible to assign the parameters you want to the effect knobs on KATANA's top panel.
You can assign parameters to expression pedals with greater flexibility.

[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ] ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

What you will need to update your KATANA
KATANA
USB cable
A computer with a USB connector ( Windows, Mac )
Caution when performing the update
Never apply this update data to any product other than the KATANA. This update data may destroy the data or system program of other products.
Never power-off your KATANA while the update is in progress!
If a power failure or similar accident occurs during the update process, the KATANA won't be able to start up in normal operating mode. This will require servicing, so you will need to contact Roland service center near you if this occurs.
We regret that we are unable to answer questions regarding the update procedure using this system program. Please perform the update responsibly, following the directions given in this document.
Getting the update file
Please open/extract the downloaded "katana_sys_v300.zip" file on your computer to get the two update files named "ROMINFO.TXT" and "KATANARM.BIN" in the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Procedure for the update
Caution
You must not rename the extracted files.
Never turn off the KATANA's power while the update is in progress. Otherwise the system program or the KATANA itself may be destroyed.
Please install the extracted system program files into your KATANA according to the following procedure.
Adjust the [ MASTER ] knob to minimum.
* Do not connect the KATANA and the computer yet.
Turn the POWER switch on while holding down both the [ CH1 ] and [ PANEL ] Tone Setting buttons.
The indicators for the [CH1] ~ [CH4] buttons flash.
Connect the computer to the KATANA's USB port by a USB cable.
The indicators for the [CH1] through [CH2]/[CH4] buttons stop flashing and stay lighted, and a "BOSS_KATANA" drive appears on the computer screen.
Open the BOSS_KATANA icon.
"Removable Disk ( * : )" may appear instead of the BOSS_KATANA icon.
Copy (drag and drop) all the files included in the "katana_sys_v300" folder into the "BOSS_KATANA" icon.
* Do not copy the "katana_sys_v300" folder.
Disconnect the BOSS_KATANA from the computer.
With Windows 10 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 7
Right-click on the "BOSS_KATANA" icon in My Computer (or the "Removable Disk ( * : )" icon) and execute "Eject."
With Mac OS
Drag the "BOSS_KATANA" icon to the Trash icon in the Dock.
Disconnect the USB cable.
The [PANEL] button flashes.
Press [ PANEL ] button to start the update process.
While the update is in progress, the "EFFECTS" indicators light up.
When the update has finished, the "EFFECTS" indicators slowly flash simultaneously.
Turn the KATANA power off.
This completes the update operation. The new system program runs at the next startup.
Follow the procedure for verifying the version to verify that the version has been updated.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

BOSS TONE STUDIO FOR KATANA VER.3.0.0 FOR WINDOWS
Please refer to the "Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA

When you use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA, please install a driver for your product in advance.
KATANA Driver for Windows 10
KATANA Driver for Windows

Update history
[ Ver.3.0.0 ] DEC 2018
Support for KATANA Version 3 was added.
Functions added in KATANA Version 3 are now editable.
[ Ver.2.1.0 ] JAN 2018
Support for KATANA-Artsit was added.
[ Ver.2.0.0 ] OCT 2017
Support for KATANA Version 2 was added.
Functions added in KATANA Version 2 are now editable.
[ Ver.1.0.2 ] MAR 2017
Bug Fixes
Unintended patch data sometimes being sent during a patch-selection operation was corrected.
Some keyboard operations failing to work properly was corrected.
Other modification to the behavior of the user interface were made.

DOWNLOAD AND EXPAND THE ARCHIVE FILE
Download the file named "bts_katana_w300.zip".
It is an archive file in zip format, please double click on the file to expand. After expanding the file, "BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.exe" will be appeared.

HOW TO INSTALL
* When installing BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA for Windows, keep the computer connected to the Internet.
* BOSS TONE STUDIO uses Adobe Air. If an Adobe Air-related screen appears during installation, click [ Yes ] to continue installation, or go to https://get.adobe.com/air/ to install or update.

If You're Already Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA
Before you install the new version, you must first uninstall the version of BOSS TONE STUDIO that you're currently using.
* Uninstalling the program does not delete live sets saved in the Library.

- Uninstallation Procedure
Click the Windows [Start] button.
Click to select [Control Panel] - [Uninstall a program] or [Control Panel] - [Programs and functions].
In the list, click "BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA" and then click the [Uninstall] button.

Copy the "bts_katana_w300" folder to the drive of your computer.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA.exe just downloaded to start installation.
Follow the instructions in the dialogue boxes to proceed.
When the "Installation has been completed." message appears, click [close] to finish.

STARTING THE APPLICATION
Turn on KATANA.
Connect KATANA and computer with USB cable.
Double click the BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA icon.
Selection screen of connecting device will appear for the first time you run the software. (After the second time running, the device will be chosen automatically.)
Select KATANA and click [ OK ].
* The device can be changed from the SETTING.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8.1
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo or faster
RAM
1GB or more
Resolution
XGA ( 1024 x 768 ) or more

* Internet connectivity is required for using functions of TONE CENTRAL and downloading updated version of TONE STUDIO. (Please note that you might be charged for packet fee depends on your connectivity service.)
* This software has been found to work on typical computers that meet the above requirements, but we do not guarantee that it will operate on all such computers. Please be aware that differences in design or conditions of use may produce differences in the processing power of otherwise similar computers.

admin

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005041012-KATANA-UPDATE-DRIVER-CONNECTION-ISSUE-TROUBLESHOOTING

KATANA : UPDATE, DRIVER, CONNECTION ISSUE TROUBLESHOOTING
July 11, 2019 03:07

KATANA : UPDATE, DRIVER, CONNECTION ISSUE TROUBLESHOOTING

Sorry if you're having issues updating your BOSS KATANA amp, installing the USB DEVICE DRIVER or connecting with your computer and BOSS TONE STUDIOS for KATANA software editor application. Please review the KATANA System Program Update, connection and troubleshooting instructions below.

NOTE: The KATANA-50/100/HEAD/ARTIST all share the same System Program FIRMWARE, DRIVERS, BOSS TONE STUDIOS and UPDATE PROCEDURES.
KATANA System Program (Ver.3.02)

1. UPDATE your KATANA-50/100/HEAD or ARTIST to the latest SYSTEM PROGRAM FIRMWARE VERSION:
DOWNLOAD, UNZIP/EXTRACT and INSTALL the SYSTEM PROGRAM VERSION UPDATE on your amp MANUALLY.

CONNECT the KATANA in UPDATE MODE via USB to your COMPUTER:
To activate the KATANA UPDATE MODE, start with the KATANA POWERED OFF,
HOLD down BOTH CHANNEL 1 and PANEL BUTTON while POWERING ON the KATANA.
Continue to HOLD the CH1 and PANEL button after powering ON 2 seconds longer and release.
All CHANNEL LEDs will BLINK RED, connect the USB cable from KATANA to COMPUTER USB 2.0 PORT and CHANNEL LEDs will change SOLID RED when connected to the computer.

On a WINDOWS SYSTEM the KATANA will be recognized in your FILE EXPLORER as an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, "BOSS_KATANA (D:/E:/F:/G:) DRIVE". Open this DRIVE it should be an EMPTY FOLDER/CONTENT. This empty drive will be the destination for the 2 downloaded UPDATE FILES.

On a MAC SYSTEM the KATANA will be recognized as an EXTERNAL DRIVE on the DESKTOP or in the FINDER as "BOSS_KATANA". This will be the destination for the 2 downloaded UPDATE FILES.

DOWNLOAD and OPEN the SYSTEM PROGRAM UPDATE VERSION 3.02: "katana_sys_v302" download located in the DOWNLOADS FOLDER and EXTRACT the contents to your computer if necessary.

NOTE: MAC SYSTEMS auto UNZIP into the DOWNLOADS FOLDER, do not DOUBLE CLICK the KATANARM.BIN file, it will change the file format to .CPGZ and the UPDATE will need to be downloaded again for an un-corrupted .BIN file.

COPY ONLY the KATANARM.BIN and ROMINFO.TXT file into the BOSS_KATANA(DRIVE:).

NOTE: When moving the DOWNLOADED UPDATE FILES make sure to DRAG DROP and COPY only these 2 FILES for the UPDATE into the BOSS_KATANA(DRIVE:) WINDOW.
DON'T include the containing FOLDER or ZIP FILE, ONLY the 2 EXTRACTED UN-COMPRESSED UPDATE FILES!

When the UPDATE FILES have been successfully COPIED and TRANSFERRED,
DISCONNECT the USB cable from the COMPUTER.
The KATANA PANEL button LED will be blinking RED.

PRESS the PANEL button to execute the SYSTEM PROGRAM VERSION UPDATE.

The EFFECTS will scan through GREEN, RED, and ORANGE, when the UPDATE is complete all EFFECT LEDs will be blinking GREEN simultaneously together, showing a SUCCESSFUL UPDATE!
NOTE: if EFFECT LEDs are blinking RED RAPIDLY this means the UPDATE FAILED.

RECYCLE POWER, power OFF then ON back to normal amp PLAY MODE.

CONGRATS the SYSTEM PROGRAM UPDATE has been completed!

2. DOWNLOAD and INSTALL the KATANA USB DEVICE DRIVER for your COMPUTER Operating System and Version:
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/downloads/

Click Link and Choose Correct Driver to Install.

NOTE for WINDOWS 7/8 USERS: Make sure to DEACTIVATE DRIVER SIGNATURE protocol, it's an antiquated security feature. All ROLAND BOSS DRIVERS are Windows approved. Follow the WINDOWS DEVICE DRIVER installation carefully.
WINDOWS will prompt a specific order of operations for connecting the USB with KATANA powered ON. Be patient and allow 5 minutes or less for successful DRIVER INSTALLATION.

NOTE for WINDOWS 10 USERS: WINDOWS 10 will AUTO DOWNLOAD and INSTALL the DEVICE DRIVER when the KATANA is connected via USB and POWERED ON. Make sure the KATANA is UPDATED to the latest SYSTEM PROGRAM VERSION FIRMWARE so that WINDOWS 10 DETECTS and DOWNLOADS the correct DRIVER.

NOTE for MAC OS 10.13/10.14 USERS: Before installing the DRIVER, CONNECT via USB with the KATANA powered ON. MAC 10.13/10.14 use a SECURITY PROTOCOL that BLOCKS DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLATION, make sure to ALLOW for "IDENTIFIED DEVELOPERS" KATANA/ROLAND DRIVER INSTALLATION and functionality. Have the updated KATANA connected via USB and POWERED ON.

Execute the downloaded PACKAGE DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLER, immediately go to the:
APPLE ICON - SYSTEM PREFERENCES - SECURITY & PRIVACY menu and CLICK the ALLOW button for the ROLAND BOSS DRIVER INSTALL.
UNLOCKING to make changes using PASSWORD may be necessary.
Once installed, message confirmation GREEN CHECK and RESTART.

3. DOWNLOAD and INSTALL ADOBE AIR UPDATE before installing BOSS TONE STUDIOS application:
https://get.adobe.com/air/

4. DOWNLOAD and INSTALL BOSS TONE STUDIOS for KATANA for your COMPUTER Operating System and Version:

BOSS TONE STUDIOS FOR KATANA-100 VERS 3.0.1 for WINDOWS:
BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Ver.3.0.1 for Windows

BOSS TONE STUDIOS FOR KATANA-100 VERS 3.0.1 for MAC:
BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Ver.3.0.1 for macOS / OS X
NOTE: for MAC USERS when the BOSS TONE STUDIOS ICON and FOLDER APPEAR, the FOLDER is the APPLICATIONS FOLDER however it's name is written in JAPANESE KANJI. To INSTALL BOSS TONE STUDIOS drag and drop the blue BOSS TONE STUDIOS ICON into this FOLDER for the APPLICATION INSTALLATION.

5. CONNECT the KATANA via USB 2.0 directly to a compatible USB 2.0 PORT on your COMPUTER: Open BOSS TONES STUDIOS, Choose A Device To Connect With, select KATANA-100 and press OK. Disregard KATANA-DAW CTL selection. Test and check connection to BOSS TONE STUDIOS software editor.

CONGRATS! Full connection with KATANA and BOSS TONE STUDIOS has been established.

NOTE for WINDOWS 10 USERS: If the BOSS TONE STUDIOS is receiving a CONNECTION FAILURE. You may need to adjust the WINDOWS 10 MIC PRIVACY SETTINGS and set to:
Allow apps to access your microphone.
How to control which apps can use the microphone

Go to Start , then select Settings  > Privacy > Microphone.
Choose your preferred setting for Allow apps to access your microphone.
Under Choose which apps can access your microphone, turn on or off the individual settings for apps and services.
NOTE for MAC USERS: Make sure settings for SECURITY & PRIVACY have been changed to allow ROLAND DEVICE DRIVER INSTALLATION.

admin

UPDATE HISTORY
[ Ver.4.00 ] DEC 2019
Katana Version 4 Newly Added Features
Effects expanded to 65 total types; Heavy Octave, Stereo Delay, and Pan Delay added
New Pedal FX section; Wah and Pedal Bend effects can be set up in BOSS Tone Studio
Dedicated mode for using as a slave amp for the Katana Mk II's Stereo Expand feature (except KATANA-50)

[ Ver.3.02 ] JAN 2019
Bug Fixes
Popping noise occurs when TONE SETTING is switched.
The SYSTEM parameter set in BOSS TONE STUDIO is initialized when KATANA version 2 is updated to version 3.

[ Ver.3.01 ] DEC 2018
Bug Fix
The minimum value and maximum value settings of an expression pedal specified by "ASGN" return to their default values when the power is turned off.

[ Ver.3.00 ] DEC 2018
Additional Functions
When using reverb or other stereo effects, USB Audio OUT carries the stereo signal.
"GE-10" was added to TYPE for EQ (PATCH EQ) and GLOBAL EQ.
"95E Pedal Wah" and "Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
It is now possible to assign the parameters you want to the effect knobs on KATANA's top panel.
You can assign parameters to expression pedals with greater flexibility.

[ Ver.2.04 ] JAN 2018 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fix
When the POSITION value for GLOBAL EQ has been set using BOSS TONE STUDIO, the setting is sometimes not correctly applied to the audio.

[ Ver.2.03 ] ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When switching between BANK A and B using a FS-5U unit connected to the EXP PEDAL jack on the GA-FC, in extremely rare cases, no sound is produced.
When pressing and holding TAP on the GA-FC to switch between setting either the DELAY or DELAY2 delay time, the indicator on the GA-FC sometimes fails to flash.

[ Ver.2.02 ] NOV 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Bug Fixes
When TONE SETTING is set to "PANEL," after using the GA-FC (foot controller) to set respective effects to "OFF" and then again selecting "PANEL," the respective effects return to "ON."
Selecting a TONE SETTING for which EQ is set to "OFF" yields sound for which EQ is set to "ON."
When a MIDI Program Change message and Control Change message are received simultaneously, the Control Change message is not applied.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, all TONE SETTING Program Change numbers are set to "1." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set the Program Change number for each TONE SETTING.
When the unit is updated to version 2.01, the SEND/RETURN values for BANK A and "PANEL" are set to "OFF." (This occurs when updating from version 1 to version 2.01.)
* Use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2 to set SEND/RETURN to "ON."

[ Ver.2.01 ] OCT 2017 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "KATANA Owner's Manual" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].
To make settings for added functions, use BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Version 2.
A function to switch between BANK A/B has been added to TONE SETTING.
"LINE OUT AIR FEEL" and "CABINET RESONANCE" were added.
"PHASE 90E" and "FLANGER 117E" were added to TYPE for MOD/FX.
"SDE-3000" was added to DELAY TYPE.
DELAY2, EQ (PATCH EQ), and GLOBAL EQ effect modules were added.
SEND/RETURN is now settable for each individual TONE SETTING value.
Setting the PC and CC numbers received by MIDI is now possible.

[ Ver.1.02 ] OCT 2016 ( Except KATANA-Artist )
Functionality Improvements
Support for BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA was added.
Noise when switching effects was reduced.
Bug Fix
No sound produced immediately after making a USB connection.

georgelrg

Hello I really hope someone could help me.
Im in Colombia I have a Katana 50 MkI. I tried to update firmware to 4.0. Everuthing just as explained in boss Page. After finishing and checking that in  fact latest version is up to date, I tried the amp buy no sound comes out of it. Every led and switch seems to work, on and offs as usual. Effects leds switch on and off as usual, but  no sound comes out of it. Tried multiple guitars and cables, and even tried a factory reset, unsuccessfully.  I've talked to a tech here in my city., does not know much about the amp, couldn't help me. There is no roland/Boss dedicated tech service at my city. What should I do/try? Thanks in advance

gumtown

Try some headphones or external amp/speaker using the PHONES/REC OUT jack to see if there is not a power amp/speaker issue.
And also try an external audio source into the AUX IN.

Check to make sure you installed the MK1 firmware version 4.xx and not the MK2 firmware version 1.xx

admin

Quote from: georgelrg on January 12, 2021, 09:23:03 AM
Hello I really hope someone could help me.
Im in Colombia I have a Katana 50 MkI. I tried to update firmware to 4.0. Everuthing just as explained in boss Page. After finishing and checking that in  fact latest version is up to date, I tried the amp buy no sound comes out of it. Every led and switch seems to work, on and offs as usual. Effects leds switch on and off as usual, but  no sound comes out of it. Tried multiple guitars and cables, and even tried a factory reset, unsuccessfully.  I've talked to a tech here in my city., does not know much about the amp, couldn't help me. There is no roland/Boss dedicated tech service at my city. What should I do/try? Thanks in advance

Perform a Factory Reset

Factory reset procedure
Set the POWER CONTROL knob to STANDBY.
Press & hold the PANEL button and turn the power on.
The BOOSTER/MOD, DELAY/FX, and REVERB indicators start to blink while the factory reset is being processed.
Release your finger.
It takes approximately 20 seconds to complete the factory reset.
When the PANEL indicator flashes, the procedure has been successfully completed.
Turn the power off.

georgelrg

Thank you for your kind answers.
Factory reset didn't work. I tried a couple of times
A don't have an external audio source right now, neither headphones with an 1/4 plug.  Buy I found a 1/4 plug adapter and tried to connect a pair of headphones. They didn't match, buy I heard interference trying to connect them, but no guitar sound at all. Seems that the issue is in fact the software.
Don't know what else to do

gumtown

Try re-applying the firmware update, following the instructions carefully, and ensuring the download file contents are unzipped/extracted first.
https://www.boss.info/nz/products/katana-50/downloads/

there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it (most are for previous versions, but the process is the same)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=firmware+update+for+katana+50

georgelrg

So, I ended taking the katana to a tech that builds boutique amps in my city. He checked the unit and turned out it has no software issues. Power amp section died (well, sort of. He explained to me preamp was ok, and had no firmware issues. Power amp was failing and was the reason there was no sound out of the amp). Price tag of the fix: 80 usd at current exchange rate. Retail price of a new unit at my city: 350 usd. So be it. I ordered the repair. Bummer.
Bright side, I took out of the bag my old egnater rebel head. Fun fun. Hehe
Thanks fellas for all the advice

admin

Quote from: georgelrg on January 13, 2021, 02:28:29 PM
So, I ended taking the katana to a tech that builds boutique amps in my city. He checked the unit and turned out it has no software issues. Power amp section died (well, sort of. He explained to me preamp was ok, and had no firmware issues. Power amp was failing and was the reason there was no sound out of the amp). Price tag of the fix: 80 usd at current exchange rate. Retail price of a new unit at my city: 350 usd. So be it. I ordered the repair. Bummer.
Bright side, I took out of the bag my old egnater rebel head. Fun fun. Hehe
Thanks fellas for all the advice

QuoteKatana 50 MkI.

Internal Factory Speaker is 8 ohms

the KATANA WILL FRY if TOTAL SPEAKER LOAD is less than 8 ohms

Very risky if you attempt to use an extension Speaker cabinet, or accidentally short Any Katana Speaker contact connection to Chassis Ground

georgelrg

Hello. I didn't do any of those things. Anyway, tomorrow I'll pick my amp after the fix, test it, and we'll see. Thank you

admin

Adobe sold Adobe AIR to Harman

Get the AIR Runtime version for your older ( pre 2019) Boss Tone Studio app here
https://airsdk.harman.com/runtime