GT100 massive tone suck :(

Started by FarleyUK, January 11, 2016, 03:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarleyUK

Hi all,

So, had my first band rehearsal tonight with the GT100, and noticed a huge amount of tone loss - is this normal??? The amp really felt unresponsive and quite flat.

I have the GT100 set as follows

- 4CM into Marshall JVM410HJS
- Output volume set to 100%
- Input gain set to -8 (using the Youtube guide for showing the clipping)
- S/R levels all set at default of 100/100
- Output gain at -10

Really disappointed with it - has anyone got any ideas what it could be? The cables are all fine (tested separately).

Thank you!

Elantric

If you are using the GT100 via 4CM with a Marshall JVM410HJS

* Create custom GT-100 presets with FX only , that avoid using any COSM Amp  / Cab modeling 

* Select the appropriate GT-100 OUTPUT MODE that sounds best to your ears

But one day it might  be fun to market a pedal called " massive tone suck :("

FarleyUK

Cheers - yeah, I've ensure I have done both of those (tried both STACK RETURN and also LINE output).

I read somewhere that someone suggested checking the unity gain:

"Set the send to around 100% and use the return level to achieve unity gain by switching back & forth between your guitar right into the front of the amp and 4CM. Just go back & forth until you get the same volume on both connections."

Will give that a try later. Really disappointed with it last night :(

gumtown

As I replied to the same question on another Forum..

If I may add more (2c worth)..

1.) Set GT-100 System input level -

the GT seems to compress the input level if it is too hot.

My generic 'rule of thumb'

LP/Humbuckers/active pickups = input level setting of "-7dB"

Strat/Single coil pickups = input level of "+2dB"

2.) Set the System Output Select Mode -

for a sealed cabinet 4CM rig choose "Stack Return" or for open back cabinets select "Combo Return".

This will also automatically disable the cabinet simulators within each GT-100 preamp.

Be careful that if anything is plugged into the Phones jack, the GT-100 will force the 'Output Select Mode' to " Line/Phones".

3.) Set the GT-100 System Output level-

Select a generic GT-100 patch which matches your amp's characteristics,

or make one with a GT-100 preamp only with default parameter settings,

all other effects and S/R loop 'off'.

Ideally the Output level knob would be at 12 o'clock position, but set it to match the level of the guitar & amp without the GT-100.

If it needs to be boosted a lot more, change the System Output level from -10dB to +4dB.

Also set the System Global EQ if required.

4.) Set the Send/Return levels-

Just as Glenn has shown, with the GT-100 preamps 'off' and the GT-100 S/R loop 'on',

first set the 'send level' to get the same 'perceived' drive level into the amp input as it would be with guitar & amp only,

then the 'return level' to match the guitar & amp only (GT-100 removed) level.

The GT-100 also has an 'adjust' parameter, which does a phase shift adjustment,

this is handy if using the external preamp (the guitar amp) and the internal GT-100 preamps together, to phase match them.

Most guitar amps have a Serial effects loop, but some have a Parallel effects loop (which is not good for 4CM setup) which may have a mix or level adjust, set that to 100% to get the best (but not perfect) results.

Don't use your preamps in series - preamp into preamp tone sucks,

to use the external preamp - switch 'on' the S/R Loop, and switch 'off' the GT-100 preamps (using 2 assigns).

to use the GT-100 preamps - switch 'off' the S/R Loop, and switch 'on' the GT-100 preamp(s).

If you want your external preamp in both the A & B parallel effect chains, place the S/R loop before the channel split.

If you want an easy way to switch between internal and external preamps with in the same patch, place the S/R loop (switched 'on') at the start of A or B channel and disable the GT-100 preamp in that channel, then just use the A/B channel switching Pedal function in the GT-100, it saves on setting up 2 assigns to do the preamp shuffling.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

FarleyUK

Yep - thanks! Will be trying those tonight.

FarleyUK

FIXED IT!!!!

So after doing everything everyone suggested - to no avail, much to my annoyance! - I took a look at the system EQ and the S/R nodes on the patch.

Turns out, when I moved the output for the S/R block from DIRECT to MANUAL, it fixed the issue!! :)

So, this leads to another couple of questions....:

1. I have every patch as a single path - so the splitter is single channel, not dual. I have the S/R after the join block - is that an issue...?

2. What are the 'normal' global gain and EQ settings for the mid gain and Mid Q? Think mine have been changed....!

admin

Quote from: Elantric on January 11, 2016, 03:31:11 PM
If you are using the GT100 via 4CM with a Marshall JVM410HJS

* Create custom GT-100 presets with FX only , that avoid using any COSM Amp  / Cab modeling 

* Select the appropriate GT-100 OUTPUT MODE that sounds best to your ears

But one day it might  be fun to market a pedal called " massive tone suck :("

Jim Williams

I found the global EQ were also very important. you need to make a patch with nothing turned on. Then listen to the amp with the GT 100 disconnected and then hook it up and adjust the global EQ to match your amps sound. You will have to go back and forth for a while until you get a good match. Once your guitar level and Global EQ are set as transparent as you can get them you will get less of that tone suck effect.

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.