Video Manual for GR-30

Started by Headless68, November 11, 2015, 12:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

I have a DVD with the video manual on it, its about 2.5GB  - is there anywhere I can put the files so we can link them here ?
(Its so old now & out of production I don't think this would cause any issue, but would be useful for members)

gumbo

Quote from: Headless68 on November 11, 2015, 12:28:23 AM
I have a DVD with the video manual on it, its about 2.5GB  - is there anywhere I can put the files so we can link them here ?
(Its so old now & out of production I don't think this would cause any issue, but would be useful for members)

YES PLEASE!!   :-*
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Elantric

Headless68

its not MP4 or MOV its an older file format (cant remember without looking on the disk) - Win7 media centre does play it though

It shows setup / using and probably the most interesting bit is how to properly use the arp feature

Elantric

Use Handbrake to convert to MP4, then upload to YouTube

https://handbrake.fr

We do not have capacity here to host 2.5GB files

germanicus

Quote from: Elantric on November 11, 2015, 08:53:58 AM
Use Handbrake to convert to MP4, then upload to YouTube

https://handbrake.fr

We do not have capacity here to host 2.5GB files

Nor should we. Even though its old and out of production, the Copyrights are in all likelihood valid.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Headless68

Dont want to get myself (or anyone else) in trouble, but if Roland are no longer selling it (which they are not), but there is a community of users out there who would find it useful it seems a waste not to use it - ultimately it could lead to new Roland sales if people new to guitar synths who buy in at a cheap entry second user level then progress onto new systems

When I get a mo I will try the converter / you tube route

germanicus

Quote from: Headless68 on November 11, 2015, 12:42:35 PM
Dont want to get myself (or anyone else) in trouble, but if Roland are no longer selling it (which they are not), but there is a community of users out there who would find it useful it seems a waste not to use it - ultimately it could lead to new Roland sales if people new to guitar synths who buy in at a cheap entry second user level then progress onto new systems

When I get a mo I will try the converter / you tube route

I agree generally with the spirit of your writing. One caveat to your point however - the fact that there IS a community of users out there who would find it useful, supports the IP holders potential motivation to prevent the videos unauthorized propagated in violation of their exclusive copyrights. In general, the demand for the product (or lack thereof) does not inform upon the validity of their exclusive rights. Where you say "it seems a waste not to use it" sort of demonstrates that you believe there is an inherent value in the video. Someone put time and resources into its creation.

Whether its really worth their time/cost/effort to pursue action is another story. I guess that the demand for the video is very low. That said, companies are not always rational actors when it comes to IP rights and going overboard in their enforcement. I will say in their defense that certain types of IP MUST be consistently enforced or they risk losing their protection. This is the case especially with trade/service marks.

(This is not legal advice and I'm not your, this sites, or Roland's lawyer).

Traynor k4

Headless68

😄
My logic was simply that it's a product out of manufacture 20 odd years, I am not making anything commercially by sharing it and Roland are not losing any revenue - would seem like a loss leader to get heavy about it - maybe I will just ask their permission to be sure

Headless68

...... Have asked Roland - let's see what they come back with

Elantric

Here is a brief sampling of Roland GR-30 Youtube demos

Roland GR-30 teardown

GR-30 All Patches demo

germanicus

Quote from: Headless68 on November 12, 2015, 12:24:21 PM
😄
My logic was simply that it's a product out of manufacture 20 odd years, I am not making anything commercially by sharing it and Roland are not losing any revenue - would seem like a loss leader to get heavy about it - maybe I will just ask their permission to be sure

Whether you make anything commercially or not is irrelevant in regards to whether you are acting within the law. You are essentially violating the Copyright holders exclusive right under 17 U.S. Section 106 - particularly:

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

I believe someone posting it on Youtube is a 'performance'.

The best thing is to get their permission!

Traynor k4

GraemeJ

I've listened to a little bit of all three of the clips above.

I think I can safely say, whoever owns the rights to this productiion, it is most definitely not Roland. It is nowhere near to the professional standard one would expect from a major manufacturer.  This was cobbled together by an owner of the device.

On that basis, I doubt that anyone will pursue you if you put it on YouTube or any other public site.

Elantric

Quoteit is most definitely not Roland.

no one stated these were official Roland demos - simply these are what currently exists on Youtube for Roland GR-30 demos

the official Roland GR-30 Video manual was higher caliber -I recall i have a copy on VHS tape   

it was similar to this version for Roland GR-33
(Amazon $34)
http://www.amazon.com/Roland-GR-33-Video-Training-Tutorial/dp/B000BS70MW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1447388856&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=Roland+%28Boss%29+GR-30+DVD+Video+Training+Tutorial+Help

Learning how to use your new Roland GR-33 has never been easier thanks to the official Roland DVD Owner's Manual!

This DVD explains everything you need to know to get up and running quickly! It contains hands-on demonstrations to help visually guide you through your new product so you can start making great music!

Host David Wills has been teaching musicians and studio owners for over 20 years and now you can receive that same advice in the comfort of your own home.

As a touring programmer/consultant with Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins and Diana Ross, David has been using Roland equipment since 1977.

DVD CONTENTS:

0:01:00 INTRODUCTION
0:02:15 Front panel
0:03:10 Rear panel
0:05:30 Overview of GK-2A

0:07:05 GETTING AROUND YOUR GR-33
0:07:50 Output select
0:08:30 Setting string sensitivity
0:10:25 Using the built in tuner
0:11:55 Performance #1 (Vocal Scat)
0:13:10 Patches, Banks and Groups
0:14:35 Selecting Patches
0:15:15 ...using the pedals
0:16:45 Setting up patches in order
0:17:20 Writing patches
0:18:40 Patch level

0:19:45 PATCH EDITING
0:20:10 Patches defined
0:20:30 Tones explained
0:21:35 Performance #2 (Splits and Layers)
0:22:45 Layered patches
0:23:50 Balancing tones
0:24:50 Split patches
0:27:00 String select
0:28:35 Transpose
0:29:40 Attack and release
0:32:15 Brightness
0:33:00 Patch level
0:33:05 Play feel
0:35:00 "Accelerator" function
0:35:30 Pan settings
0:36:30 Chromatic

0:38:35 EFFECTS/PEDAL SETTINGS
0:38:45 Effects explained
0:40:30 Multi-effects
0:42:40 ..."wet/dry" balance
0:44:25 Chorus
0:44:40 Reverb
0:45:55 Pedal effects
0:46:55 ...wah
0:49:25 ...pitch glide
0:50:45 ...hold
0:53:05 ...expression pedal
0:54:50 Apeggiator
1:00:50 Harmonist

1:03:30 SYSTEM/MIDI FUNCTIONS
1:03:45 Contrast
1:03:55 Guitar select
1:04:35 Master tune
1:05:00 Guitar Amp simulator
1:05:15 Bend range
1:05:20 Data thin
1:05:40 Basic channel
1:06:35 S1/S2 function
1:06:40 Dial function
1:07:00 Display Type
1:07:30 Bulk Dump/Load
1:08:35 Factory reset
1:09:10 MIDI [PC] program change
1:09:35 ...bank select
1:10:45 MIDI transpose
1:11:00 Patch name

1:11:15 GRADUATION

Headless68

It is an officially Roland produced item - the video is done by Nick Cooper who was the UK product demonstrator back in the day

ron45

Quote from: Headless68 on November 12, 2015, 12:24:21 PM
😄

Well my friend you are ignoring the infinite greed of the biddniss world. If they can't squeeze the turnip to death they will hire our aledged congress to make it impossible for anyone else to try. Ain't freedom, truth and justice grand?
3 Eastman Archtops, Ibanez PM100, Custom built tweed Princeton 34 watt 12" spkr Roland HPD15  2 Avalon 737sp  8buss 16 track Tascam Mixer  Lexicon PCM91 reverb deity Digital Performer Mac pro, Kurzweil K2500, GR 1 GR 30 GK3 on Eastman 910  64 fender jazz bass bought new  AKG 712  CAD VS2 tube mic

Frank

Quote from: Headless68 on November 13, 2015, 12:30:12 AM
It is an officially Roland produced item - the video is done by Nick Cooper who was the UK product demonstrator back in the day
It looks as though Nick isn't that bothered about copyright ownership as he has posted most of the video manuals he created here (including the GR-09 manual) https://www.youtube.com/user/NikTheFix/videos
So I reckon the GR-30 video manual would be unlikely to land you in hot water.

TheChris

I know this is an old thread, but having just bought a GR-30. I'd LOVE to see that video manual.  In the box it came in was the card from the video -but no video.

admin

Quote from: TheChris on March 12, 2018, 11:07:41 AM
I know this is an old thread, but having just bought a GR-30. I'd LOVE to see that video manual.  In the box it came in was the card from the video -but no video.

its 90% the same as the GR-09 video manual below

Be sure to read all Roland GR-30 Knowledge Base articles
https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/?product=GR-30

TheChris

Thanks for this. I guess anything would help.  So far, I LOVE it.  Need to get a few parts... that little cable that goes from the guitar output to the pickup, and I'd like to find a mounting plate for the GK-2A - now, I'm just using velcro.

Thanks much.