FC300 / VG-99 Stomp Box mode?

Started by philflood, February 04, 2008, 12:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcknrllmn

Great, thanks for the info.  That is awesome.  ;D
Can you toggle between, CC (stomp box) mode & sysex mode (to change patches) with another footswitch plugged into the mode jack in the back of the FC-300?

Brent Flash

Quote from: rcknrllmn on June 29, 2011, 04:53:41 AM
Great, thanks for the info.  That is awesome.  ;D
Can you toggle between, CC (stomp box) mode & sysex mode (to change patches) with another footswitch plugged into the mode jack in the back of the FC-300?
Yes you can.

shawnb

Thanks folks for the corrections & clarifications! 

Major changes to my post above are that you DO NOT need to remove the RRC2 (invalid assumption on my part), and you DO need a MIDI cable (stupid omission on my part).   I'll pull an Elantric & go back & modify the post so the correct procedure is all in one place!

The main point of my post is that it is actually very easy to do in Control Change mode; in fact, you don't need to modify anything on the FC300, just set the proper assigns on the VG-99.  If you do as Brent Flash suggests above, and toggle between Control & SysEx mode, you can get the best of both worlds - though this requires yet another pedal (or bending over to press the mode button). 

@vanceg - good idea on using the expsw for the wah on/off.  Man, you use a buncha switches!   I think for many of us, the "easy 7" switches are likely sufficient (ctl1, ctl2, 1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9 & 5/10) - in fact, it's overkill for me!
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteI'll pull an Elantric & go back & modify the post so the correct procedure is all in one place!
Thanks Shawn!

This forum exists to serve as an aid to all folks considering the technology  and long time users to share their experiences with the gear we discuss.
Not one single person here has all the answers, and we all are learning something new each day.

Unlike other forums - I encourage EVERYONE to go back and edit your old posts and delete incorrect information, and update with solutions that work. 

The "signal to noise" ratio improves when we reduce the need to read an entire 10 page thread for the one tidbit of good information buried at the bottom of page 8 ;)

rcknrllmn

Thanks, everyone for the information on this thread.  It will have a major positive impact on the way I use these tools to perform.  It is probably the single most important thing I have learned (and wanted to be able to do) about the VG-99/FC-300 that will impact the way I use it.  This is a feature I used with the GT-PRO/FC-200  that I could never figure out how to do with these.

shawnb

Glad to be of help!   One other minor factoid you probably already know - pressing the v and ^ pedals simultaneously also change the mode - exact same thing as plugging an external pedal into the MODE jack.   Might save you a pedal.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

vanceg

Totally Sean.  I hope you didn't think I was saying anything other than POSITIVE stuff about your post!  You did a great service!  just chiming in, I was.

I should also be clear: I don't USE 13 softsteps... I Normally user just one, but sometimes two.  My point was that the FC-300 (IMHO) is obscenely heavy and I could, for the same 13 lbs that the FC-300 weighs, carry 13 x 1lb Softsteps.   Now, the softstep is awesome, but the FC-300 has some great features and aspects to it as well.  For ME, the Softstep is a better solution for foot control.

One thing is miss is PEDAL inputs and those switches on the toe position of pedals. I support footpedals by using a modified old MIDI WIZARD.  Soon I will be switching over to a custom made box which has 12 pedal inputs on it...but more on that later. 

Point is - To each his own and the FC-300 is pretty cool. Those of you with back problems or who are sick and tired of carrying around a FC-300 (or who might just want an ADDITION to the FC-300) you might want to check out a softstep. 

Quote from: shawnb on June 29, 2011, 08:27:47 AM
Thanks folks for the corrections & clarifications! 

Major changes to my post above are that you DO NOT need to remove the RRC2 (invalid assumption on my part), and you DO need a MIDI cable (stupid omission on my part).   I'll pull an Elantric & go back & modify the post so the correct procedure is all in one place!

The main point of my post is that it is actually very easy to do in Control Change mode; in fact, you don't need to modify anything on the FC300, just set the proper assigns on the VG-99.  If you do as Brent Flash suggests above, and toggle between Control & SysEx mode, you can get the best of both worlds - though this requires yet another pedal (or bending over to press the mode button). 

@vanceg - good idea on using the expsw for the wah on/off.  Man, you use a buncha switches!   I think for many of us, the "easy 7" switches are likely sufficient (ctl1, ctl2, 1/6, 2/7, 3/8, 4/9 & 5/10) - in fact, it's overkill for me!

shawnb

Quote from: vanceg on June 29, 2011, 11:20:41 PM
Totally Sean.  I hope you didn't think I was saying anything other than POSITIVE stuff about your post!  You did a great service!  just chiming in, I was.

Totally understood, vanceg - your input was helpful, constructive & welcome!    You're one of those guys who pushes the envelope more than a tad, and in doing so, you end up learning techniques & trying gear most of us won't.  Thanks for sharing that.   

I looked up the softstep videos on YouTube, and they look very powerful for such a compact package.  Nice.

I like the FC300 - it's a bloody TANK....  And I'm a klutz, so we're well matched.   Further I really like that most advanced VG-99 patches work well immediately upon download with the FC300.   

I should probably pay more attention to all the size & weight - as it is, each week I bring way too much heavy gear back & forth between home and the studio where I jam with my friends & endanger a few brain cells.   My "standard" rig includes a VG-99, FC300, US-20, GR-55, RC-50 & an old Peavey Wolfgang Special equipped with a GK3.  Fortunately I'm not pressed for space at the studio, or I'd be hosed.   

Shawn

vanceg

Quote from: shawnb on June 30, 2011, 02:51:45 PM

I like the FC300 - it's a bloody TANK....  And I'm a klutz, so we're well matched.   Further I really like that most advanced VG-99 patches work well immediately upon download with the FC300.   

TOTALLY!  Those are two of my favorite reasons to use an FC-300. The others are: Patch names are displayed and Footpedal shows the tuner. 

rcknrllmn

I had my first gig using the newly programmed CC mode last night.  It worked great.   Toggled from Sysex mode to change patches, Program mode to send note on off on sequencer & 1st  patch for the song on VG-99, and CC mode to use as stomp box mode. 

The only thing that was confusing, I had to keep track of when switching to CC change mode, it didn't indicate the current status for each programmed "stomp" pedal within each patch.  Hence, I had to try to remember the status of how each effect was saved when the patch was selected.  That required some double stomping to change each effect on or off.  The lights indicated the status of which pedals were active from the previous patch that was selected.  To avoid confusion, if I could, at the end of each song I turned all the pedals to off as a starting point, so I wouldn't be confused to which effect was active.  I either knew or could tell just from listening.

Is there any way that the current status of the CC pedal will show automatically when a new patch is selected?

Thanks

Brent Flash

Quote from: rcknrllmn on July 10, 2011, 08:49:44 AMIs there any way that the current status of the CC pedal will show automatically when a new patch is selected?
Sorry to say no. You may glean some useful info from this thread. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1377.0

rcknrllmn

Thanks Brent.  Sounds like I'm dealing with the issue the same way you are (were).  Sometimes you just have to do a double press to get what you want.

Brent Flash

Quote from: rcknrllmn on July 10, 2011, 07:05:14 PM
Thanks Brent.  Sounds like I'm dealing with the issue the same way you are (were).  Sometimes you just have to do a double press to get what you want.
Yes, sounds familiar. I got to a point where I would unconsciously turn effects off before switching patches to try to keep things under control. I would also know that I needed to reset some when going from one patch to another. It is doable. I wish SYSEX mode would give more options like we need. I think that is doable. Maybe the next generation of FC will have more advanced live features. We can only hope.

rcknrllmn

Yeah, it's still quite amazing what you can do with it, given the little quirks here and there.  It still beats anything else I've ever used.

Brent Flash

adamlee011

Man this thread is a mess. So, why do you need a midi cable for cc mode? Why don't I? I'm using nothing but the rrc or whatever, the network cable. Cc mode works just fine. Only thing I don't get is that they have to be set to momentary to work as latch. Maybe that's not the right terminology but it's how I understand it coming from sysex mode. What if you want to be in cc mode and hold a pedal down for an effect, and release it to turn off the effect (as you would in sysex with control set to momentary) in cc mode momentary is latch and latch is double press???

admin

this might help
Its a truth table for working with external switches with VG-99 or FC-300

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status

sixeight

QuoteOnly thing I don't get is that they have to be set to momentary to work as latch.

There are two places where you can make these pedals latch. You have to set it either on the FC300 or on the VG99 (in the assigns). If you change it on both devices to momentary, it should work as you want. By default the pedals on the FC300 are set to LATCH.

adamlee011

Quote from: sixeight on May 08, 2018, 07:45:58 AM
There are two places where you can make these pedals latch. You have to set it either on the FC300 or on the VG99 (in the assigns). If you change it on both devices to momentary, it should work as you want. By default the pedals on the FC300 are set to LATCH.

That makes sense. Probably was set to double latch.

adamlee011

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 08, 2018, 07:29:17 AM
this might help
Its a truth table for working with external switches with VG-99 or FC-300

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Latch] = double latching, pedal requires 2 presses to do one function (effect on/off)

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [toggle] + FS-7  [Moment] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led only lights while held down

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [moment] = effect only on while pedal held down, pedal led only on while held down

VG-99/FC-300 assign  [moment] + FS-7  [Latch] = press once to toggle effect on/off, pedal led toggles with effect status
I think I follow. What is fs7? An external pedal? I'm only working with an Fc300.