Triple Play with Hardware Synth Is AWESOME

Started by merman93, February 20, 2015, 08:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

My Triple Play equipped guitars weren't getting much love since I purchased my GP-10. Granted they do different things, fill different needs, etc. but the ease with which I could get " up and running" with my GP-10 made a difference. Actually, the ease with getting going with my Kemper won out over both, but that's a different story.

That changed this year, after 2 purchases, and the hand of fate. I purchased a Disaster Area Ghost Converter, which allowed me to break away from the necessity of using SoftSynths, and I purchased an "open box"  Waldorf Blowfeld at a ridiculously low price. Now, I'm integrating these into my performing rig, ( very easy integration btw), and am excited about the possibilities.

Having used every guitar synth ever sold in the US, ( truly), I am of the mindset that for an effective Guitar/Synth system, you should have a midi channel set up for each string for your midi out data, set up pitch bend for 24 semitones, and have a Synth that is at least 6 part multi timbal, and also can be set to 24 semitones pitch bend. That is MY minimum standard. For the way I play, the IPad option was not a consideration because of the limited Multi-timbal capabilities, and the VERY limited bend range. I have seen others play live with the FTB and an IPad with incredible results, and was impressed, but I also noticed that they were altering their normal playing style, using no smooth bending, or double stops. Every guitarist will find they need to adjust their technique somewhat, like playing more cleanly, and being aware of hend placement on strings, etc. but not bending notes smoothly on one string while letting others ring is not a style I want to adjust, If I don't need to, ( by using a separate midi channel for each string).

I have a Roland xv-5050 Rack Synth that I have used with my antiquated GI-20, that meets the Synth requirements and even has 16 part mulitimbrality, allowing me to add 2 unique tones to each string, and more. However, there are no current drivers for it so using USB midi was not exactly plug and play for the FTB, but it was doable.

Since my Ghost converter arrived, my FTB guitars and the XV-5050 have been getting lots of love in the house, but my current rig has NO rack gear, and I'm adamant about using just my pedal board, Kemper head, and powered FRFR cabs. I researched what was available that met my requirements AND would fit on my pedal board. The Blofeld was the obvious choice, but I was concerned that is was TOO inexpensive. There is nothing else even close to that price point that is 16 part MT, and features 24 semitones pitch bend, so it had to be junk, right? No, far from it !

Browsing EBay, I saw an open box Blowfeld, and won the bid. It arrived and blew me away. It is everything I was looking for, and 1/4 of what I was expecting to pay. By the end of the weekend, I will have it integrated into my pedal board, and ready to go!

I am over 50, basically retired from " normal" work, and am very knowledgable of computers, networks, etc. so, I knew how to get a good laptop system up and running, but, I wasn't comfortable with it. I was also shocked to find out how many "highly regarded" soft synths couldn't be set up for 24 semi-tone pitch Bend.

It will be amazingly relieving to pack up for a gig without including a $2000.00 lap top. My Kemper costs the same but is intended to be on the road, and designed to withstand that kind of abuse. Few laptops are designed for those rigors.

An added benefit, is how quickly patches are loaded on my Blowfeld vs on my laptop. I have a Liquid Foot that is sending data to all my midi gear, and has 4 expression pedal inputs, of which, 2 are dedicated to the Blowfeld. I have a midi merge box to mix the data from the Ghost Converter and Liquid foot into the Blofeld. I am not useing presets from the FTP. I reset the unit, cleared all the presets, set up 1 hardware mode patch with Poly off, and loaded it into the controller.

So far so good!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

Nice review

FWIW - I do similar:  Tripleplay > USB to MIDI converter > hardware Synth, but replace  the Waldorf Blofeld with a 2011 Korg MicroStation

The Korg MicroStation seems to have fallen off the radar  - it provides all the tools as a Tone Module for MIDI guitarists

Read
External multi-voice hardware Tone Generators for MIDI Guitarists
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5035.0

Korg Microstation
http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/microstation/

http://www.korg.com/microstation

Amazon Reviews
http://www.amazon.com/Korg-microSTATION-61-Mini-Key-Synthesizer-Sequencer/dp/B003J7FJ98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424478120&sr=8-1&keywords=Korg+MicroStation

Not much bigger than a Behringer FCB-1010- a 61 minikey Workstation with good Multi-timbaral internal Synth Engine.
Whether it's used for compact studio control, as an easy songwriting tool, or a powerful additionto a live performance rig, MicroStation is the "Micro Multi-Tool" to suit your needs!

MicroStation offers unprecedented portability, the stunning sound of Korg's EDS-i synth engine (M3, M50), dual arpeggiators, and phenomenal effects; all the tools you would expect in a keyboard/workstation housed in a smaller - and extremely affordable - package.

Whether performing or composing, the on-board sequencer can be anything from an extra set of hands or a powerful drum machine up to a full-blown MIDI production suite. Loop Recording, Grid Sequencing, Song Templates, and One-Step recording features make it easy for anyone to achieve professional results.

Main features

Lightweight, compact, and equipped with 61 mini-keys, the microSTATION travels easily and fits effortlessly into any home, stage, or studio workspace.

EDS-i (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-integrated) sound engine delivers high-quality sound in the tradition of KORG's flagship synthesizers.

Enjoy 480 outstanding, ready-to-use sounds – including keyboard sounds, synth sounds, drums, leads, basses, etc. Tweak, edit, create and save up to 512 sound Programs.

256 dynamic Combinations place different sounds on different areas of the keyboard, or layer multiple sounds together for exciting performances – right out of the box!

Find the right sound fast with eight quickly accessible categories; hundreds of Audition Riffs allow you to preview each sound.

A full General MIDI level 2 compatible soundset allows commercial and pre-made MIDI files to be played perfectly and instantly.

Designed for comfort and accuracy, our 61-key Natural Touch Mini Keyboard is highly expressive and supports serious playing.

Whether performing or composing, the on-board sequencer can be anything from an extra set of hands or a powerful drum machine up to a full-blown MIDI production suite.

Loop Recording, Grid Sequencing, Dual Arpeggiators, Template songs, and Auto Song Setup features make it easy for anyone to achieve professional results.

SD/SDHC card slot for convenient storage or your custom sounds and songs.

USB Type-B connector offers a direct MIDI connection to your computer.

Includes both stand-alone and plug-in microSTATION software for detailed sound editing on your computer; plug-in software is VST, AU, and RTAS compatible.

Korg Microstation Forum link
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=62

merman93

Those microStations are classics, and being battery operated is a plus.

My issue was the Pitch Bend range only went to 12. As long as you set your controller to match its ok, ( the FTP uses 12 as standard but goes to 24).
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

shawnb

I'm a big fan of PBR = 24 myself.   

You get to play your guitar!!!
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Spider

BTW: with Blo the best result is use it with Mono mode on FTP and with Multi in Blo.

merman93

Yes, multi-mode on Blofeld, Poly OFF on FTP, is how I'm using it.
First thing I did was find 10 sounds I liked, edited each to 24 semi tone Pitch Bend, for all 3 Osc,Saved, then created Muti-mode patches of each.

Spider, have you purchased extra Sound Sets, License SL, etc? So far there is plenty here already to keep my interest, but wondering if any options are worth considering.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Spider

I bought second hand Blo with SL. Factory samples are usable but it is a far behind my Motif Rack XS. I must be honest that I didn't even try to search something better. 3 OSC + all "inside" stuff is enough for me. More ... it is too much:)

Blo has a lot factory patches and you can find a lot of free patches so... I finally refuse 50% off for purchasing Sound Sets during NAMM '15. Any way Analog Voltage () and Analog vs. Digital is worth to hear anyway.

BTW: Blofeld has problems with external MIDI clock syncing and IMHO space FX on it are only usable.

I like matrix UI and their creativity: << here with SL piano as I remember.

merman93

Thank you for all of your insight Spider. Your comments, here on VGuitarforums, were one of the contributing factors that led me to have an interest in Blofeld.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

Farmer

Quote from: merman93 on February 23, 2015, 05:19:31 AM
Thank you for all of your insight Spider. Your comments, here on VGuitarforums, were one of the contributing factors that led me to have an interest in Blofeld.

Hey
I'm thinking about using my Fishman Triple Play in a live band situations with hardware synth. I'm wondering what sound module i should buy. I think this blofeld waldrof it's ok so i'm thinking about purchasing it but how do you connect it? Using Fishman Controller midi out to midi in of Blofeld?? or is it any option to connect it without Fishman Controller?? How does it work blofeld with lead synth sounds, synth pads, electro-pop synth filtering sounds and arpegiators?? I don't have any midi controller is it possible to configure Fishman Controller to change the patches in Blofeld?? and use the expression pedal from Fishman Controller to control the filter of synths in my blofeld? as well the sustain pedal??

gearhound22

Quote from: merman93 on February 20, 2015, 08:16:58 AM
My Triple Play equipped guitars weren't getting much love since I purchased my GP-10. Granted they do different things, fill different needs, etc. but the ease with which I could get " up and running" with my GP-10 made a difference. Actually, the ease with getting going with my Kemper won out over both, but that's a different story.

That changed this year, after 2 purchases, and the hand of fate. I purchased a Disaster Area Ghost Converter, which allowed me to break away from the necessity of using SoftSynths, and I purchased an "open box"  Waldorf Blowfeld at a ridiculously low price. Now, I'm integrating these into my performing rig, ( very easy integration btw), and am excited about the possibilities.

Having used every guitar synth ever sold in the US, ( truly), I am of the mindset that for an effective Guitar/Synth system, you should have a midi channel set up for each string for your midi out data, set up pitch bend for 24 semitones, and have a Synth that is at least 6 part multi timbal, and also can be set to 24 semitones pitch bend. That is MY minimum standard. For the way I play, the IPad option was not a consideration because of the limited Multi-timbal capabilities, and the VERY limited bend range. I have seen others play live with the FTB and an IPad with incredible results, and was impressed, but I also noticed that they were altering their normal playing style, using no smooth bending, or double stops. Every guitarist will find they need to adjust their technique somewhat, like playing more cleanly, and being aware of hend placement on strings, etc. but not bending notes smoothly on one string while letting others ring is not a style I want to adjust, If I don't need to, ( by using a separate midi channel for each string).

I have a Roland xv-5050 Rack Synth that I have used with my antiquated GI-20, that meets the Synth requirements and even has 16 part mulitimbrality, allowing me to add 2 unique tones to each string, and more. However, there are no current drivers for it so using USB midi was not exactly plug and play for the FTB, but it was doable.

Since my Ghost converter arrived, my FTB guitars and the XV-5050 have been getting lots of love in the house, but my current rig has NO rack gear, and I'm adamant about using just my pedal board, Kemper head, and powered FRFR cabs. I researched what was available that met my requirements AND would fit on my pedal board. The Blofeld was the obvious choice, but I was concerned that is was TOO inexpensive. There is nothing else even close to that price point that is 16 part MT, and features 24 semitones pitch bend, so it had to be junk, right? No, far from it !

Browsing EBay, I saw an open box Blowfeld, and won the bid. It arrived and blew me away. It is everything I was looking for, and 1/4 of what I was expecting to pay. By the end of the weekend, I will have it integrated into my pedal board, and ready to go!

I am over 50, basically retired from " normal" work, and am very knowledgable of computers, networks, etc. so, I knew how to get a good laptop system up and running, but, I wasn't comfortable with it. I was also shocked to find out how many "highly regarded" soft synths couldn't be set up for 24 semi-tone pitch Bend.

It will be amazingly relieving to pack up for a gig without including a $2000.00 lap top. My Kemper costs the same but is intended to be on the road, and designed to withstand that kind of abuse. Few laptops are designed for those rigors.

An added benefit, is how quickly patches are loaded on my Blowfeld vs on my laptop. I have a Liquid Foot that is sending data to all my midi gear, and has 4 expression pedal inputs, of which, 2 are dedicated to the Blowfeld. I have a midi merge box to mix the data from the Ghost Converter and Liquid foot into the Blofeld. I am not useing presets from the FTP. I reset the unit, cleared all the presets, set up 1 hardware mode patch with Poly off, and loaded it into the controller.

So far so good!

Hi there,
I just got the same setup ....did you have any settings or tips how to maximize performance when using the two together?

Quote from: Spider on February 22, 2015, 12:37:46 PM
I bought second hand Blo with SL. Factory samples are usable but it is a far behind my Motif Rack XS. I must be honest that I didn't even try to search something better. 3 OSC + all "inside" stuff is enough for me. More ... it is too much:)

So you prefer the Motif?

Majiken

This is interesting reading for this total synth noob with FTP! I've hooked it into my Roland Sonic Cell and the connection works fine, I just need to adapt it more to my playing, not (so much) vice-versa. Looks like the 24-semitone pitch bend plays an important role, need to see if the Sonic Cell does that as well as the multitimbral aspect? If not, time to look for a hardware synth that does; I much prefer dedicated hardware to a laptop.  BTW, I'm not into classic synthesis at this point, looking more for a tweakable sample player, which the Sonic Cell does well (and I could play with synthesis, if I reach that point on my road).
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

gearhound22

Is there any advantage using the ghost convertor vs the FC1 besides smaller size?

Rolloq

How to change pitch bend on Waldorf Blofeld desktop?

Rolloq

modalmojo

Quote from: Rolloq on March 05, 2021, 08:48:53 AM
How to change pitch bend on Waldorf Blofeld desktop?

Rolloq

On 6/6 under the sub menu of each oscillator, there is "Bend Range" from -24 to +24.

Vaultnaemsae

I'd been dreaming about hardware synths lately. I found a Moog Voyager RME at a local vendor...$5000  :-[

My boss owns one and raves about it. He's not even a musician -- he just likes having cool toys...like we all do. But it's really a lot of money...think I'll stick to my software synths.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Rolloq

QuoteOn 6/6 under the sub menu of each oscillator, there is "Bend Range" from -24 to +24
Thanks
Rolloq

modalmojo

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on March 28, 2021, 08:54:35 PM
I'd been dreaming about hardware synths lately. I found a Moog Voyager RME at a local vendor...$5000  :-[

My boss owns one and raves about it. He's not even a musician -- he just likes having cool toys...like we all do. But it's really a lot of money...think I'll stick to my software synths.

Yes, I think it is wise to stick to software synths, e.g. Omnisphere is incredibly powerful and sounds fantastic, even compared to any top tier hardware synth (Don't overlook Omni's Bob Moog tribute library). 

Since ver.2.5, Omnisphere supports hardware synth integration, you can control Omnisphere by the supported hardware synth (it is not simple CC control), this closes the gap between hardware and software synths:

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: modalmojo on April 04, 2021, 09:43:06 AM
Yes, I think it is wise to stick to software synths, e.g. Omnisphere is incredibly powerful and sounds fantastic, even compared to any top tier hardware synth (Don't overlook Omni's Bob Moog tribute library). 

Since ver.2.5, Omnisphere supports hardware synth integration, you can control Omnisphere by the supported hardware synth (it is not simple CC control), this closes the gap between hardware and software synths:

Yes, Omnisphere is my go-to softsynth and the Bob Moog Tribute was just updated recently and sounds even more amazing.

My only wish for OS2 is that Spectrasonics would enable a global pitchbend range setting for easier integration with guitar synths when preset surfing.

modalmojo

Send a msg to Eric Persing, we may have Omnisphere 3 next year, going to be big.

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: modalmojo on April 05, 2021, 02:10:58 PM
Send a msg to Eric Persing, we may have Omnisphere 3 next year, going to be big.

If I can figure out how to make a direct request to Mr. Persing I will.

I contacted support and asked about this but they simply said they'll pass my request along to the relevant party.

Any info on Omnisphere 3 floating around yet?

modalmojo

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on April 10, 2021, 09:14:30 PM

If I can figure out how to make a direct request to Mr. Persing I will.

I contacted support and asked about this but they simply said they'll pass my request along to the relevant party.

Any info on Omnisphere 3 floating around yet?

Last year I left a msg on Spectrasonics' youtube channel, Eric replied.  Looks like he really reads the comments on youtube.

As I remember Omnisphere was released in 2008, Omnisphere 2 in 2015, so we may guess Omnisphere 3 should not be too far away.