GP-10 extremely noisy when plugged in computer USB port

Started by djidoe, November 23, 2014, 07:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djidoe

Do you have any solution to that problem ?

I assume it's a ground loop but I cannot ground lift my USB port :(

Thanx

Elantric

If you have a laptop, try disconnect the power supply and run laptop on batteries.
Often laptop power blocks are the source of noise.

FWIW  I have zero noise issues with GP-10 myself, buts that's because I use Macs.

Vade

I run my computer gear and music gear from the same wall plate and that clears up ground loop hum in my home studio. I don't have a laptop power block to worry about though so here's hoping you've good luck in tracking down and eliminating the issue.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

MusicOverGear

I think there is another, identically themed, recent thread on this. There may be additional answers there.

IMHO the easiest, most practical solution for a non-engineer (i.e. dunces like me LOL) is to just make a couple ground lift cables: XLR 2 & 3 (or TRS connected to just T & R) on the side of the monitor/speaker/preamp/whatever - to a TS plug on the GP-10 side. For "telescoping shielding" connect the ground on the XLR/TRS side to the cable shielding but leave it unattached on the GP-10 side.

If you'd rather spend your way out of the problem and pick up some old-school, vintagey mojo in the process, there's the Radial Dual JDI - whatever that's called. JD2? Can't remember but I see them around when there's expensive gear involved... Or just any two high end DI's with Jensen's. That would give you ground lift using vibey transformers without having to make any cables or trouble yourself with what's going on under the hood.

Someone needs to make a video on handling noise problems when using the GP-10. The GP-10 itself is nice and quiet, but they really chintzed on the output, so you are on your own to solve ground loop problems. I was SO frustrated with this when I got mine, and I had to spend time hacking away at my ignorance to get control over noise using this unit. Assuming there are lot of people like me - no engineering skills and lots of scenarios where there is no sufficiently capable tech/producer to fix it for me - people are going to keep having grounding issues on the GP-10. I hope someone with some actual credentials will step up and compose some good info on this for the reference forum. If not I will do it, but I only know from empiricism - I'm not really qualified to talk about audio technology.

Elantric

DerGrass

I have the same problem?? This is from years ago. I'm still new I don't know forum etiquette so I do apologize if this is covered elsewhere. I'm just going off google search hits. I definitely have some sorta grounding issue with usb as it goes away if I touch it. My computer is going off battery right now. Not sure how I would ground this bad boy?? Thanks.