My (current) GP-10/Kemper/MainStage3 setup

Started by drbill, August 08, 2014, 11:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbill

I run from the mono out of the GP to the KPA rear return input and from the guitar out of the GP to the front input of the KPA. I use little MIDI files to switch the KPA input that I want. MainStage allows you to attach them to a channel strip in a patch so that when that patch is selected, the file is sent to that MIDI output.
Uploaded at Snapagogo.com
I have the MIDI I/O of my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 hooked up to the Kemper. The Focusrite and the GP USB are both running into a powered Pluggable USB hub (the KPA is also attached there so that I can use the Rig Manager).

I'm working on controlling this with a MacMillan SoftStep 2. I'm almost there. I have the SoftStep plugged into the same hub. I have the top row set up to send Program Change messages. I set up MainStage so that I use a "set" (in MS terminology) for each song and I reserve a bank of 5 PC numbers (16-20, 26-30, etc.) for each song (I hardly ever need that many, but it happens). Then I just go to the next bank for the next song. On the lower row, I'm setting it up for one switch for global mute & tuner, one for wah, one for pitch and one for tap tempo (one left!). I don't typically toggle effects; if I want a different sound, I'll just use another patch. When I have the SoftStep working well, I'll post the preset file.

I set up an aggregate instrument on my Mac with the 2i4 and the GP.

Here I have the KPA coming in on channels 1&2 (2i4) and the GP coming in on 3&4 (stereo out from the GP). I have the output going to channels 3/4 (2i4, where I have my headphones plugged in).

That's about it! I'll the MIDI input-switching files. I've put my work-in-progress MS concert file for Sunday in my dropbox here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75451/CCC%202014-08-10.concert.zip
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Vade

I like it Drbill and I'll be looking forward to your report. I've got my SoftStep 2 in hand but I'm waiting on the rest of my gear to arrive before setting it up. I was also thinking of using the top row for patch changes exactly as you suggest and I'll be interested in how/why you made your setup decisions. Enjoy your great rig!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

drbill

I made a mistake. In order to use a rear input on the kpa while the front jack is occupied, you have to use the rear return reamp input and use the return jack & not the alt input.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

IanRamos

Don't care much about the Mainstage , but ... GP-10 and a Kemper ??!?!
Wow , if the COSM guitars are as good as they are saying around here , that would be a dream rig , indeed !
( i wonder if there's much quality difference between the COSM amp emulation and the Kemper amp emulation .. a comparsion would be interesting ... )

drbill

GP-10, KPA

thebrushwithin

Haven't tweaked my GP 10 amps yet, but I don't have to tweak the Kemper, and so far it isn't close.

merman93

Love your setup DR.Bill !!!
We seem to be running very similar rigs,.. GP-10, Kemper, Main Stage 3.

I haven't determined the ultimate live setup for me yet,.. So far I have an A/B to select between the GP-10 and a standard guitar, which goes into my pedal board, then to KPA. I am only using Main Stage for additional Synth tones so far, (as I'm pleased with what the KPA provides for amp sims), with the GP-10 set to "mix" so those tones are output from GP-10 to KPA. Main Stage 3 has soo much to offer as far as setting up "set-lists" "concerts" etc, but I just haven't had the time to integrate it more to my system. I want to explore expression pedal assignments more.

I love the GP-10 guitar modeling, and am coming up with new patches every day. Other than 2 really heavy presets, 8 String, and Arcade mute, i don't use the GP-10's amp models.

I'm controlling everything with a Ground Control Pro, with my MacBook Pro for backup, (Boss Tone Studio, Kemper Rig Manager very helpful).

What are you using Main Stage 3 for? I'm really interested to try more options there.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

drbill

I use MainStage for signal routing, MIDI control (patch changes for each piece of gear, changing the input of the KPA as needed, etc.) and plugins (Eventide ultra channel, Omnisphere, Valhalla shimmer, etc.).

Now that my 828 is back from the shop, all this is much cleaner.
GP-10, KPA

vablows

I am very interested in this as well.

I am currently running this setup:

Guitar output to front of Kemper
GK out from guitar to GR-55
GR-55 stereo outs to effects loop in Kemper
Kemper Stereo outs to PA, monitor out to Atomic CLR

I am controlling everything with the GR-55, which is very limited as a stand alone foot controller.

I am using this for live purposes, not at home.

I have been considering trading the GR-55 for the GP-10, and using my ipad for my synth tones.

BUT, it is a big move and I have a ton of time invested in the GR-55 and have only recently begun nailing it on the head with tones and how to incorporate it with the Kemper.

I use the COSM guitars in tandem with the Kemper, mostly acoustic guitars but I also use a 12 string Rickenbacker and tele's and strat's for cleaner stuff while the crunch and distorted tones come from the Kemper.

But I am not satisfied with the synth tones from the 55, and have been wondering if I should just get a FTP and go that route but I can't lose my cosm guitars so I'm stuck.

Sorry for the long rant, just really curious to see others using the same stuff as me and how you get along.

What are you using for synth tones?

drbill

I use a FTP to drive plugins on the laptop. I use it mostly for pads with Omnisphere.
GP-10, KPA

Elantric

I use a FTP to drive plugins on the laptop. I use it mostly for pads with Omnisphere.

80% of the time I just use FTP Receiver into an Ipad +Apple Ipad USB Camera adapter and run Sampletank IOS