TriplePlay.settings is an XML file

Started by shawnb, August 04, 2014, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

An interesting discovery...

I have wanted to do some bulk checks/updates, & finally found how to do so.  Rather than by doing 'em by hand in the app, I poked around looking for *where* those darn settings were.   

I found & opened up TriplePlay.settings, & lo and behold, it's an XML file (sort of, no schema).    ;D

I wanted to easily double-check all of the PCs to make sure they were unique.  Surely enough, they're in the 'programNumber' field in the 'masterPatchList' entries. 

You can edit the 'masterPatchList' entries to create new patches to choose from.   If you do so you need to update the 'favoriteList' with your new entries, being careful to update the 'slot' parameters to tell it which user patch slot you want it loaded into.   Make sure the slot is unique. 

If you just want to read it, simply make a copy, then rename the copy changing the extension to .xml & open it in Excel.   This helped me ensure my settings were where I wanted them easily.

LOTS of tempting stuff in there, the parameter list indicates some abandoned features, plus what looks like some possible future features (hopefully!!!).   

***Back it up first!***  It's picky & seems to be fairly bulletproof...  If you make a mistake, it re-initializes itself back to factory defaults & throws out your updates.  Even being careful I've done this a few times...   I made, like 3 copies before putzing, & I'm glad I did...   

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

A practical example of usage can be found in this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6296.msg87688#msg87688

For bulk changes like this, I edit the TriplePlay.settings file directly.  It's faster & easier to scan & look for consistency & errors.   Some information (and warnings) here about editing the settings file:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12036.0

I have an instance of FTP running within HH, so I can edit patches if necessary.  HOWEVER, there are no ins & outs, all it does is configure the controller.   (The HH equivalent of the "two-track" method...)   Thus, all patches are "Hardware synth" patches. 

You need one XML 'patch' entry per 'favorite', since each will be unique (and identify a unique patch #/PC).   Examples of 'patches' and 'favorites' are below.   PCs are in the 'program number' fields.

<patchlist>
      <patch name="PC 1 mono" formatversion="4" createTime="13eccb73a49" modTime="147a94f6765"
             holdMode="1" splitLow="223" splitHigh="223" arpeggioMode="0"
             arpeggioSpeed="30" arpeggioLength="15" pickSensitivity="3" polyForPatch="0"
             factoryPatch="0" tapTempoEnabled="0" patchTempo="120">
        <melody melodyLen="0"/>
        <sounds>
          <sound mySoundId="1" programNumber="1" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="0"
                 transpose="24" volume="0" dynamicSensitivity="15" dynamicOffset="10"
                 reverb="0" reverbUI="0" volumeUI="0">
            <vi>
              <pluginRef name="Hardware Synth Plugin" format="Internal" type="internal"
                         vendor="Fishman" version="1.0"/>
            </vi>
          </sound>
        </sounds>
      <patch name="PC 20 poly" formatversion="4" createTime="13eccb73a49"
             modTime="147a9632f0d" holdMode="2" splitLow="223" splitHigh="223"
             arpeggioMode="0" arpeggioSpeed="30" arpeggioLength="15" pickSensitivity="3"
             polyForPatch="0" factoryPatch="0" tapTempoEnabled="0" patchTempo="120">
        <melody melodyLen="0"/>
        <sounds>
          <sound mySoundId="1" programNumber="20" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="3"
            <vi>
            </vi>
          </sound>
          <sound mySoundId="0" programNumber="0" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="3"
            <vi>
            </vi>
          </sound>
        </sounds>
      </patch>
    </patchlist>

Then you point to your patches the 'favoriteList' as follows:

<VALUE name="favoriteList">
    <RefPatchList listname="Favorites List">
      <patchRef name="PC 1 mono"slot="0"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 2 mono" slot="1"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 3 mono" slot="2"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 4 mono" slot="3"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 5 mono" slot="4"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 6 mono" slot="5"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 7 mono" slot="6"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 8 mono" slot="7"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 9 mono" slot="8"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 10 mono" slot="9"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 11 poly" slot="10"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 12 poly" slot="11"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 13 poly" slot="12"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 14 poly" slot="13"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 15 poly" slot="14"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 16 poly" slot="15"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 17 poly" slot="16"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 18 poly" slot="17"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 19 poly" slot="18"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 20 poly" slot="19"/>
    </RefPatchList>
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

Somebody just pointed out to me that I never explained WHERE to find this file...  It's in your hidden AppData folder, under:
     <user>/AppData/Roaming/Tripleplay

You can navigate there quickly (hidden or not) by typing in the following in your Windows Explorer navigation bar:
    %appdata%/tripleplay

I don't know where to find this file in OSX.  I don't have a Mac, but I just read somewhere that the OSX equivalent to AppData is usually here:
    ~/Library/Application Support

*** Again, be very careful & make a safe backup copy of it first! ***

kevorkian

For Mac OS:

"/Library/Application Support/TriplePlayFactory/TriplePlay.settings"

or

"/Library/Application Support/TriplePlayFactory_64/TriplePlay.settings"