GR-55 - Two Saxophones

Started by Cricket, April 23, 2014, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

Just a couple of patches I thought I'd share... further work in my quest for convincing saxophones, and both using an idea I've been working with: using the LFOs out of sync with each other to vary TVF and TVA in the hope of achieving a more natural timbral variation, especially on sustained notes.

The first, Breathy Sax, is an attempt at a more "West Coast" sax sound, and maybe something that might be well suited to ballads.

The second, Dynamic Sax, uses nuance to move between Breathy Tenor and Tenor Sax 1 in varying degrees, to try and approximate the varying attack of a real sax, so you can get varying tones by using intentional (or accidental) pick dynamics.  It also uses CTL as a momentary ring mod to approximate "growl."  I've tried to include clear examples of these in the attached mp3.

Next step... to look into a breath controller and see where that goes.  Heh, heh.   ;D

Enjoy.   

Peace,

C

pedwards2932

Something about that breathy sax that sounds fake to me......it modulates with a synthy sound.  The dynamic sax at the 4 sec mark I hear the raspy sound I like but again it modulates unnaturally if you aren't careful.  I will try to download these when I get home.  It really is annoying because the GR30 had a great raspy sax and for whatever reason they got rid of it with the GR20 and the GR55.  I use a pad which gets the raspy sound but you have to be careful with how much....I also had to ditch the breathy sax for one of the regular tenor saxes and use the pad to add the raspy sound. I am interested in the ring modulator if it isn't to fiddly to get to sound right.

Cricket

Quote from: pedwards2932 on April 23, 2014, 08:05:54 AM
Something about that breathy sax that sounds fake to me......it modulates with a synthy sound.  The dynamic sax at the 4 sec mark I hear the raspy sound I like but again it modulates unnaturally if you aren't careful.  I will try to download these when I get home.  It really is annoying because the GR30 had a great raspy sax and for whatever reason they got rid of it with the GR20 and the GR55.  I use a pad which gets the raspy sound but you have to be careful with how much....I also had to ditch the breathy sax for one of the regular tenor saxes and use the pad to add the raspy sound. I am interested in the ring modulator if it isn't to fiddly to get to sound right.

It's always something, innit?   

Funny, to my ear the dynamic sax sounded more fake... though I'm working on that.  And I'm always torn deciding if it's my playing that's not right or the patch.  Or both  ;D

Anyways, I get ear fatigue after working on these for too long.  Figured I'd post 'em and give other ears a shot.  Feel free to tweak and repost.  I do think there's something to be said for the use of the LFOs in these, if not these exact settings, then the concept has some merit, I think.

Peace,

C

JZZGTR

Yowsa, Cricket! I spooled your MP3 up with Parker's "Stella" and played them simultaneously. Your playing should be a tutorial to everyone on how to play like the instrument they're trying to emulate! You really caught the essence of Bird, and this patch sounds great. Can't want to get it in the machine and play with it. Thanks for the inspiration...

Dan1948

Both sound nice and your playing them the way a sax should be played which makes the sound more real. Good job man! I will use them.  8)

Dan
You ain't to old if you can Rock & Roll!