VG-8 / VG-8EX FAQ

Started by Elantric, April 22, 2014, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Quote from: TrainWreck on July 13, 2022, 02:30:37 PMWas this program ever uploaded to the Downloads section?  I've been looking around for it but don't see it anywhere. 

Tim, if I understand correctly this is a program that loads the EX midi files into the VG-8, correct?  I have been having trouble loading the EX files with midiox and I'm hoping your program will do the trick

I believe the program helps with the process of converting a VG8 to a VG8s1 but still requires the s1 update card.

The s1 update adds the same features as a VG8EX such as vioguitar and a few other  synth like, guitar,amp models and I believe there was room for one more bank of patches.

As you may know the actual VG8 EX  had slightly updated DSP Hardware that made for better fidelity.

Let me know if you need to know what all the s1 updates are.

chrish

Here the original catalog page that describes the s1 updates.

TrainWreck

Thanks for the reply and thanks for posting the catalog pages, great info!

I have an S-1 card but was running into an issue when trying to load the EX midi files into the VG-8. I was using Midiox but then later tried Roland's PC SMF Update Utility and it worked perfectly.  The firmware is now the same as a VG-8EX.

Thanks again.

admin

Quote from: TrainWreck on July 13, 2022, 11:35:26 PMThanks for the reply and thanks for posting the catalog pages, great info!

I have an S-1 card but was running into an issue when trying to load the EX midi files into the VG-8. I was using Midiox but then later tried Roland's PC SMF Update Utility and it worked perfectly.  The firmware is now the same as a VG-8EX.

Thanks again.

So you successfully installed VG-8EX FW V 1.01 into a VG-8 w/ S1 update?
https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/vg-8ex/updates_drivers/eace27e0-1cc8-44ef-b386-06aa328804bc/

One aspect is that even with a VG-8EX, the S1 update card is still required to update a 1998 VG-8EEX to FW 1.01

VG-8EX System Update v1.01

Tools required
* MIDI Sequencer (SMF compatible)
* MIDI cable
* VG-8EX Ver Up Disk
* VG8S-1

** Important!!**
   To perform System Version Up, VG8S-1 is necessary as a key.
   Any VG8S-1 even a used one can be used for this purpose.

1. Connect the MIDI Out of VG-8EX to the MIDI In of the sequencer
   with a MIDI cable.
2. Insert VG8S-1 (as a key) into the VG-8EX card slot.
3. Power on while holding down SYSTEM and WRITE.
4. The LCD will show "System expand. Are You Sure?" Press F3 and select "MIDI."
5. Load and play the MIDI files from the sequencer in order
   (VG1.MID, VG2.MID, VG3.MID and then VG4.MID).
6. When all the data is received, the LCD will display
   "Completed! Please power off and remove card." 
7. Power off
8. Power on while holding down PLAY and SYSTEM and confirm the new version
   number of the VG-8EX.

After updating the VG-8EX, you should reinitialize the unit:

1. Power on while holding down F1, F3 and F5 simultaneously.
   The LCD will display "Memory Initialize".
2. Press F6 "All." The user patches and system parameters are
   replaced with the factory settings.

chrish

Sounds like he did convert the VG8s1 into a VG8EX. In the other thread he mentions that he was able to load the E bank into the VG8s1.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34690.0;topicseen

TrainWreck

Quote from: admin on July 14, 2022, 12:03:00 AMSo you successfully installed VG-8EX FW V 1.01 into a VG-8 w/ S1 update?

Yes, exactly.  As I explained in the other thread as Chrish mentioned, I started with a very early VG-8 and loaded VG-8EX firmware onto it. 

I am by no means the first or only person to do this.  However there is enough ambiguity about whether or not this is possible that I just wanted to confirm that it can be done. 

You are correct, an S-1 card is still required to do this.  The card is required to get the VG-8 into the update mode (holding Shift + Write while powering on with the S-1 card inserted).  However, I should point out that you don't really even need to do the S-1 update first.  You can go straight from the original VG-8 firmware to VG-8EX v1.01 in one fell swoop.  This is because when you are in update mode and you select "Midi", once you start loading the 4 VG-8EX midi files the first thing it does is erase the firmware on the device.  It doesn't check to see if the S-1 update is installed, it just wipes everything out then starts writing the VG-8EX firmware.  A side benefit of having the S-1 card on hand is that if the VG-8EX firmware doesn't load and the VG-8 is bricked, you can just load the S-1 firmware and start over.

I don't think there is anything special about my VG-8.  It's a garden variety early model.  I think any VG-8 can be updated to VG-8EX firmware as long as there is an S-1 card available. 

After taking a short test drive through all the new presets I have to say how impressive this thing is.  It is truly remarkable what Roland was doing over 20 years ago.  Further, it is even more remarkable that they could do all this with such a minuscule amount of memory, as far as I know 512K! 

admin

chrish

Quote from: admin on July 14, 2022, 11:12:56 AMGood work!
I agree, good work. I still find that machine useful. Very expressive and moody.