Smallest Mobile Guitar rig

Started by Elantric, February 25, 2014, 10:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmcginness

QuoteBy contrast - the new Strat pick guard style model looks cute - I played it at 2017 Winter NAMM. but like most mini travel guitars it tends to be awkward to play sitting down , and its a bit longer ( neck Heavy) so you must now use your left hand to not only fret & play, but also support the guitar from falling,  and its not as compact or balanced compared to the headless style models above

Ahh but with the Livid guitar wing on it it may be enough weight to balance it out for standing and playing. Also if you put a Floyd Rose locking system on it then the headstock can be eliminated further balancing it.
  As for these not feeling good, I hear ya. I had the same issues with the Roland ready Strats. Lots of people here say theyre good guitars. Ive yet to play one that doesnt feel cheap to me. Same with the Epiphone Flying Vs. I tried two. One was what youd expect from Epiphone and the other is one of the best guitars I own. The build quality is not very consistent. Same with the Travelers. I have an Escape MKII. ( Current model is the MKIII ) Ive been using it since 2007? Ive modded the bee jeepers out of it ( jumbo frets and a GK-3  and new tuners ) and it works well for live. out of all my GK guitars its the only one that gives me alt tuning warbles with my GP-10 and only does it on the A string open to the B note first position. So Im looking for another Traveller to use live along with the MKII. The Strat style electric looks good. It would be great to see one in a shop and try it before I buy. Hopefully some shops will do that but for $299 I may chance it.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

After playing the same headless Steinberger woody for about 15 years, I still love it more than my normal-shaped guitars. It's got enough weight that it doesn't feel like it moves around *too much* when I play, but I did have to adjust a bit. I lean back more now. But that makes easier to see and reach it. And this guitar's so light that I usually wear it on the strap even when I'm sitting.

At first, I was a bit alarmed about Elantric's comment on damaging your muscles, but I realize it ain't happening for me with my Steinie. I also tend to keep my wrist straight because I f-d up my wrists back in the 20th and went through years of braces and stretching exercises. Now, things aren't bad. Working with computers is what messes with my wrists, not guitar playing.

Was sad to hear that the Travelcaster pickguard cutie is neck-heavy. Total dealbreaker there. I never, ever want a neck-heavy guitar, period.

I think there ought to be a giant 2 or 3 inch wide grommeted hole, where the logo is on the peghead, anyway. Maybe that would lighten it up. Would make it easier to hang.

Can you really eliminate a headstock if you put a Floyd on it?

alexmcginness

Quote from: mooncaine on March 27, 2017, 08:11:14 PM
Can you really eliminate a headstock if you put a Floyd on it?

Perhaps. You could put lighter machine heads on the Traveller and cut the excess wood off of the headstock past the machine heads to lighten it up. Another way to balance it out is to strap it the way some folk strap their acoustic guitars and that is to take a leather cord and tie it to the headstock and then use the strap button on the back of the guitar. Like this.

http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thumb/6/64/Put-a-Strap-On-a-Guitar-Step-13-Version-4.jpg/aid333362-v4-728px-Put-a-Strap-On-a-Guitar-Step-13-Version-4.jpg

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

For me principal use of a travel guitar is to practice tunes after work in a hotel room , typically while sitting on on edge of a bed I'm rarely standing up or using a strap with a traveler guitar. 

The Traveler Speedster/Mod-X style guitars allow my right forearm to cradle the guitar body while my left hand is free to fret/tap /bar chord.

It's very well balanced light and small to transport after breaking it all down and placing in the gig bag

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on March 28, 2017, 07:45:52 AM
For me principal use of a travel guitar is to practice tunes after work in a hotel room , typically while sitting on on edge of a bed I'm rarely standing up or using a strap with a traveler guitar. 

Vive La difference. The only reason I use a Travel guitar is to work. There is zero hassle getting one on a plane as carry on along with a regular roller carry on case. I use to always get grief with regular sized axes. A couple of times the guitar was taken from me and put in the hold. I got it back...playable but dinged up. You could carry one of those Traveller strats and a Travelle Escape MKII inside one guitar bag if you need two. A gk3 on one and a VG-99 or a GP-10 or a gr-55 and youve got all u need to do the gig.

mooncaine

Floors mopped, time to goof off now.

Elantric, I realized later that I do rest my forearm on the little bit of wood that's available on my Steinberger Spirit GT-Pro. Life would be awkward without that zone, so maybe the pickguard-only Travelcaster ain't the best choice for me anyway.

But it's so deliciously Dali-esque.

rubooch

I posted these pics in the Audiobus forum a while back:

vanceg

I really enjoy the size and playability of my LapAxe.  UNfortunately, I can't really reccommend the product because the finish is AWFUL.  It literally scrapes off with the lighest touch of a fingernail.  Consistantly.  I've had it for 2 years and it's so bashed up it looks like it was in a war zone, and it's actualy been babied.  I contacted them twice about it and, frankly, they didn't seem to care.  They said something like "that's odd, we don't normally get that comment".  When I asked about sending it back to see if it's really defective past their standards, they never responded...and I had a tour to start on, so I took it with me again.  I don't care too much about aesthetics, but the neck having scrapes all over it is kind of a bummer. 
I mean - If I scrape my fingernail across the back of the neck at ALL, then the finish scrapes.

Bill Ruppert

Wow that is odd! I have a LOT of them and never experienced that.
The maker Pepijn in Bangdung is a friend of mine and I will ask him about it.
Sorry to hear that.
Was it an EX model or a DLX. Also is it a gloss finish or matt?
I love the guitars and carry one every where when on the road.
Also Pepijn is a wonderful guy and takes all this very seriously.

Elantric