DIY Battery Power Ideas - Poweradd , BoxKing, Tourtek

Started by Elantric, February 20, 2014, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

it can power my FX pedal Board and USB Hub for iPad.

http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Pilot-Pro-Multi-Voltage/dp/B00DN0KBXU/ref=sr_1_17?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1392917203&sr=1-17
$139
Poweradd™ Pilot Pro 32000mAh Monster Capacity Multi-Voltage (5V 9V 12V 16V 19V 20V) Portable Charger External Battery Backup Power Bank with Smart LCD Digital Display for Tablet PC, Netbooks, Notebooks, Laptops, Smart Phones -- Compatible with Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba Notebooks, Google Nexus Tablets, iPads, iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S(Apple Adapters not included) Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Note2, S4, S3 and More Other Devices

Huge capacity of 32000mAh, Provides 1 DC output for your laptop, and 2 USB port for 5V USB-charged devices.
Various connectors cover major types of laptops and cell phones on the market, DC and USB outputs for charging a laptop and 2 5V USB-charged devices simultaneously, adjustable 5 voltage levels (9V/12V/16V/19V20V) suiting your needs for different laptop models (check detailed compatibility list below).
Stylish and slim aluminum-body ensures good heat dissipation,the smart digital display window makes it easy to regulate voltage and know how much source you've got left. It will automatically shutdown when short circuit or overload output happen to protect your devices.
Made of high quality reliable lithium-ion polymer battery cells, more than 500 recharge cycles during the course of its life.
Package Contents: 1* Poweradd™ Pilot Pro 32000mAh external battery / 3*Mobile phone connector / 10*Notebook connector / 1*USB spring cable / 1*DC cable / 1*AC Adapter / 1x User manual.

Product Description
Poweradd™ - Power your life
Poweradd™ Pilot Pro external battery is specially design for charging laptop and 5V USB-charged devices at the sametime.Smart protection funtions insure safety worry-free usage, portable & lightweight design makes it easy to carry. Ultra high capacity? Charging speed? Emergency charging for your laptop or other devices? Anti-explosion battery? Get all 4 with this Poweradd™ Pilot Pro.

Compatible Model:
10 notebook connectors included(outer x inner diameter in mm), Please check the model, size, voltage and power of your original adapter to ensure compatibility before purchaasing.
A: 6.00*1.40 - for Sony VAIO
B: 6.25*3.00 - for Toshiba Satellite A105, M35
C: 5.50*2.10 - for Acer Aspire 1200 / Toshiba T1950, T4700
D: 4.75*1.70 - for ASUS Eee 900, 1000
E: 5.50*1.70 - for Acer Aspire One AO722 AO725
G: 4.0*1.70 - for HP Mini 1000/ 1100 Series
H: 5.0*3.25 - for Samsung N130, N310
I: 3 Pin - for Dell
J: 7.40*5.00 - for Dell inspiron 1525, E1505 / HP Pavilion DV6, 550, G60, Compaq CQ 60 and more other Dell or HP models
K: 7.90*5.40 - for ThinkPad T60, X60, R60

SPEC:
--Battery Type: Lithium-ion Polymer
--Capacity: 32000mAh/118.4Wh
--Input: DC 15V ~ 24V/2A
--Output1: DC 9V,12V,16V,19V,20V/4.5A
USB1: 5V/2.1A (MAX)
USB2: 5V/1A (MAX)

Kindly Note:
Please adjust to the corresponding voltage before charging your laptop.

Product Details
Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 4.8 x 1.1 inches ; 1.8 pounds
Shipping Weight: 3.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
ASIN: B00DN0KBXU
Item model number: Pilot Pro
Warranty Policy:
12 months worry-free product guarantee from Poweradd™.
Proffessional technical support, Efficient and always satisfied customer service all the year round.

mbenigni

Cool!  Let me know how you make out.

32,000mAh!

Elantric

Quote32,000mAh!
Output1: DC 9V,12V,16V,19V,20V/4.5A

I  use a Polarity reversing cable

I will see how long the GR-55 can go.

It all comes down to the actual Total current draw of all connected devices being powered.

I'l give a review once I spend time with it with real world tests.

But I'm focused on having a truly portable battery powered Guitar setup - using iPAd running Bias +VoiceLive  Touch2 + a few iStomps and a MIDI controller and FTP with a separate iPad running Sampltank.   

There is a much lower noise floor when using battery power - particularly when using single coil pickups, and Battery power helps with Audio Ground isolation for a safer shockfree stage environment too. 

tomtheguitarguy

Q(Ah) = Q(mAh) / 1000, so it's more like 32amp in an hour - or ideally 3.2 amps for 10 hours?

Or is my math off?
http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

Elantric

You are right!, correction noted and post edited.

Elantric

This is amazing!

I might get a spare

a few reviews

rcf1956

These power packs will likely contain a number of cells in series, with a nominal voltage (usually a multiple of 3.7) at the rated 32000mAh; this will then either be stepped up or regulated down to supply the various other voltage options. Some power/efficiency will be lost in the conversion; therefore dividing the rated 32000mAh by the total current draw of your various gadgets/effects can give you a misleading result ...when it comes to working out how long a full charge might last?

Elantric

rcf1956

Thanks Elantric,

I'd still love to know the actual rating (voltage/capacity) of the cells in the powerpack and which of the quoted voltages are stepped up or regulated down? Haven't managed to find a manual yet; does look like a good unit though. I do have a few power packs of a lesser capacity which I find very useful. I have also used a couple of Dimension Engineering AnyVolt 3's to build portable power supplies for various synth and effects units.

Elantric

I'll see if I can open it up and post some internal pics soon.

Seems to be very well sealed!

rcf1956

Thanks for having a look ...I'm tempted anyway; it would certainly be an improvement on my 15000mAh model.   ;)

Elantric

Update

This Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 32000mAh Multi-Voltage External Battery works very well - works with GR-55 and GP-10

Use the included Black Poweradd Pilot Pro DC coax power cable (shown above) and then all that is required in addition to make a killer long lasting battery powered pedal board are:

1 ) Visual Sound CYR Converter for One Spot Power Supply with Reverse Polarity - to make the 2.1mm coax DC jack negative tip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBG5QE/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

2) Visual Sound One Spot Multi Plug 8 Cable
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-Spot-Multi-Cable/dp/B000XXBHA6/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

3) Connect all above to power your FX Stomp pedals
This Pedal Train board works well
http://www.amazon.com/Pedaltrain-Pedalboard-With-Soft-Case/dp/B001G3TJXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1402023194&sr=1-1&keywords=pedal+board

mbenigni

FWIW I'm still getting along nicely with my PedalTrain Volto, although the Poweradd package does look like a better value.

IanRamos

Hi  there !
Sorry if that's a stupid question , but i'm totally clueless about the subject .

Would it be possible to feed a G5 vg strat with one of those , so i can use it for more than 3 hours ?
if so , i would have no problem in route a hole in the body to put one of those amazing batteries .

Thanks !

admin

Maybe,

But this thing weighs a bit and would prove a source of fatigue if you had to use it with a guitar.

IanRamos

is it so heavy  ?
i would have to route the body quite a bit to fit it , i think that would help with the weight ...
plus , those strats are almost empty due to the massive electronics ...

Elantric

Quoteis it so heavy  ?

Yes - 3.3 pounds!

You are aware of the official Roland CN-2 Power Cable for VG Strat / G5 ?

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CN-1/

But try a smaller battery pack

IanRamos

Oh ok , sorry , i didn't see the weight in the first post ...

well , that's about 1 kilo , usually a guitar is around 3 kilos , so i still think is not that much , considering that those modeling guitars are almost empty inside , so usually are a lot lighter than a normal guitar ...

Thanks for that CN-2 link Elantrinc , i didn't knew that device .
Still , to me , it defies the purpose of getting a G-5 instead of , for instance , a GP-10 , which is to use it with my wireless system .

Norbitt

Please excuse my ignorance--I know nothing about electronics. So all I would need is the Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 32000mAh and the Visual Sound CYR Converter to power the GP-10? I don't use a Pedal Board. No need to be concerned with amperage(?), millamps(?), etc.?

Thanks,
Bob

Elantric

QuotePlease excuse my ignorance--I know nothing about electronics. So all I would need is the Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 32000mAh and the Visual Sound CYR Converter to power the GP-10?

Correct! Set the Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 to output 9VDC, then use the included Black Coax to Coax cable to connect to the LE-030's DC OUT, then connect other end of black cable to the Visual Sound CYR Reverse DC  Polarity Converter's inline female jack,  and connect  Visual Sound CYR's green right angle DC plug into the GP-10 - it will run over 10 hours.

Elantric

FWIW -  this smaller $50 battery pack below works better than Sanyo PedalJuice for 9VDC Pedal board use 
http://us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice

XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack can provide 5VDC, 9VDC, 12VDC output)

Compared to Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 32000mAh ,  XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack  is 1/3rd the available current but its less than 1/2 the size! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00935L44E/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack (Dual USB Output 5V plus DC Output 9V / 12V 2A)

With Battery power, I'm enjoying the liberation of immunity from HF Switching Noise from modern "earth friendly / green" wal-wart  power supplies, and  faster setup / teardown time at open mic night

musicman65

Yeah...but how's the tone? Does it sound better than "old skool led" batteries or even alkalines???

LOL....sorry, I couldn't resist. Of course, I'm kidding although older analog pedals do sound slightly different when powered at various voltages.

alancarl

Quote from: Elantric on August 01, 2014, 10:57:08 AM
FWIW -  this smaller $50 battery pack below works better than Sanyo PedalJuice for 9VDC Pedal board use 
http://us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice

XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack can provide 5VDC, 9VDC, 12VDC output)

Compared to Poweradd Pilot Pro LE-030 32000mAh ,  XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack  is 1/3rd the available current but its less than 1/2 the size! 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00935L44E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
XTPower 10000mAh External Battery Pack (Dual USB Output 5V plus DC Output 9V / 12V 2A)

[img width=681 height=600]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61d%2BkFcn04L._SL1500_.jpg[/

Hi everybody,
      Even though this is an older thread I thought that my thoughts about this were better placed here as opposed to starting a new thread.
My question is pertaining to the XTPower 10000 ma battery pack.
Does anybody know if this device is constructed from multiple individual 3vdc(approximately)cells?

I was investigated an Ankertek external power device and when I spoke with tech support I learned that the higher voltage outputs were derived with the use of a voltage doubler type charge pump device.
I have found that some of these devices and their associated ripple create noise artifacts with some of my higher gain type devices.
So if Steve or anybody with experience and or knowledge of the quaity of the DC output of the XTPower battery pack could enlighten me I'll be then enlightened  ;D
Thanks
Al

Elantric

I get very clean DC voltage output from XTPower and Poweradd battery packs when run at 9VDC and 12VDC

Both are very well sealed  ( not going to tear them apart - until I need too to fix something - but these have been working very well !

alancarl

Cool Steve,
       I'm going to get them now!
GAS lives on here ;D
FWIW some years ago I rigged up a battery guitar synth rig with a AA NiMhi pack, GI-20, and an original Ipad with SampleTank.
I totally get the use for a battery operated pedalboard/gtrsynth/LED lighting rig!
Thanks for sharing all of your discoveries and insights from your journey through the modern myriad of GEAR!
Peace,
AL