Programming & tweakin for live use

Started by Aengelantir, January 24, 2023, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aengelantir

Hi all,

I'd like to share some experience on using the GP-10 and kindly ask your ideas on it.
I downloaded some patches from Ainsoph, which are great. Preparing for the rehearsal I tweaked the e-piano patch.
-To mask the latency I mixed in the real guitar sound in order the get a direct attack followed by the e-piano. The pedal I used to control the mix. But the sounds of the synth and the guitar don't really mix, that is tones (higher harmonics) are a little off between the two.
- I tend to dampen a lot with my fretting left hand. Playing the guitar it isn't noticable but the synth detects a new, lower note. It cannot be get rid of much of that artifact by setting the velocity. I'm considering of (re-)learning to dampen with my right hand more.

I'd gladly here your ideas. Maybe from users of other synths?
Gibson L5 CES, Ibanez 2630 Artist + GK-3, Fender Am Strat, Ibanez ST-300, Aria Nylon, Fina steelstring, GT-10, GP-10, Ableton.

Brak(E)man

I don't have much of that issue, maybe from playing a lot of midi guitar in 80-90s, but low velocity cut and some of the amp and filter velocity sense settings can help some.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Aengelantir

Hi Brak(E)man,

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Maybe I should learn to accept the latency. Admin also suggested in another reply to roll down the highs on the real guitar.
Gibson L5 CES, Ibanez 2630 Artist + GK-3, Fender Am Strat, Ibanez ST-300, Aria Nylon, Fina steelstring, GT-10, GP-10, Ableton.

Brak(E)man

There's also lots of patches that's based on wave synth and gr300 synths.
They don't have those issues.
I suggest checking them out.

- Lydia Lunch

Aengelantir

Yes, that's an option. Now the OSC has more option to change the sound and I'm trying to come close to Michael Brecker's EWI solo on In a Sentimental Mood  :)
Or am I missing something?

Brak(E)man

There's more possibilities sonically with the OSC synth but the wave synth is zero latency and there's lots of sonic potential.
Here's a couple of mine but there's loads of patches to explore.

Check https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26618.0 for a solo sound

For pad based on GR300 also zero latency
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24578.0

- Lydia Lunch

Aengelantir

Hey Brak(E)man,

These are wonderfull sounds! Thanks for sharing.

Aengelantir

So progressing on my quest for more control over the OSC synth, especially on Ainsophs e-piano patch, I found a discussion in the SY-1000 section (don't know how to link them here) that adressess this topic also: unwanted and off sounding notes.

I connected the GP-10 with Ableton and made a recording in which each string is recorded seperately playing jazzy chords. What I found was that
- the hex pu- elements pick up from adjacent strings (cross talk). So same frequency on adjacent elements.
- strings sometimes resonate with adjacent strings. (Resonance). Sometimes the same frequency, often one octave below or a harmonic,especially when the lower strings are involved.

All these off-notes trigger the OSC with these lesser result. They also trigger the jamorigin midi vst in Ableton so it is a generic audio to midi topic, not gp-10 specific.

I thought off what can be done:
- playing style:
not playing to loud,
dampen strings that should not ring, especially when releasing a chord.
But than there still is the transient. So also not fretting nor hitting strings that should not ring. Basically plucking. Which for me is unlearning jazz and funky comping.
- put a damper near the headstock end of the strings.
- a noise gate before the OSC preferably for every strong seperate.
- adjust midi velocity

I'd appreciate insights from others on this.

Brak(E)man

Low velocity cut as said
Also lowering GK sensitivity settings.
Right and left hand damping of strings are a huge part.
Depending on what hexpu you have, the crosstalk varies a lot.
In general piezo is worse than a magnetic GK.
The OSC synth in SY-1000 is much better in most of these areas though.
You can listen to this example.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27794.0

The gtm settings are a story on its own but shares some/most of the OSC issues.

- Lydia Lunch

Aengelantir

Thanks Brak(E)man,

I use a GK-3. Lost all the detailled settings of the hexPU by thoughtlessly resetting the gp-10🙃.

To be continued

admin

Reduce adjacent string crosstalk with GK-3

Verify the physical placement of GK Pickup is correct.
Refer to official documentation here
https://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/about.html
https://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/gk3-requirements.html

GK PU MOUNTING LOCATION
Verify there is roughly  20mm distance from GK PU to bridge. GK PU mounted Closer to bridge reduces the string output and not recommended. GK PU mounted further than 20mm increases susceptibility to adjacent string crosstalk - owing to wider excursions of each vibrating string further away from the bridge, which  may invade the adjacent middle four  A D G B string GK Pickup flux field regions- particularly when string bending blues styles.

GK PU HEIGHT : a general rule of thumb, use the included spacer to adjust the GK pickup height so that you have a space of about 1.0 mm between the top of GK pickup and the bottom of 1st and 6th strings when these strings are held down at the highest fret.

Lower the GK String Sensitivity

The default GK String sensitivity at 65 may be prone to crosstalk on some guitars

I always start by lowering this to the 25 to 35 range-for a balanced output across all strings.

There are no rules - get creative

On some situations with GK-3 pickup -try setting GK Type to one of the Piezo types - each type has a unique EQ curve and provides user Adjustable Bass and Treble controls

Don't forget to read the Setup docs for other GK Processors(VG-99 & GR-55)
- as the lower cost GP-10 lacks specific knowledge base reference documentation  that would cover same ground deep dive documentation provided for VG-99 & GR-55

Find these Docs in the DOWNLOADS link at top of our home page

Aengelantir

Aengelantir

Following up on this experiment to use OSC better. Read SY-1000 threads on related topics. Some people seem dissappointed with the 'oversensitivity' of the algorithm while others don't notice, don't mind or don't have issues. For me I'll adapt my playing and get creative. So what adaptions should that be?

From testing with Ableton certain things seem to trick the algorithm to starting of with the wrong fundamental or to start wiggling later on e.g. starts going to and fro between notes. And then there is the pitching of false / slightly bend notes or little different pitch interpretation compared to the unprocessed string when playing with chromatic off.
-transients: from attack, fret buzz, ticking on the guitar or other sources
- frequencies that originate from the other string e.g. from sympathetic ringing between strings, from resonant frequencies through the guitar or from the hex picking up from adjacent strings.
- frequencies that are natural harmonics on the same string but start being louder than the fundamental while the string rings out.
And then their are the notes that I don't intend to play but seem loud enough for the algorithm to pick up. E.g when I release a chord.

After all advice on setting up the guitar, gk-3 and gp-10 correctly, their remain some things that have to be addressed in my playing.
- I strum advanced jazz chords with some strings muted. That gives transients, a lot of resonants, some of which are harmonics that are off.  I can get rid of the transients by finger picking only the necessary strings. The resonance especially with strange harmonics I don't have a solution for. This has to be in the set up or input (dead strings, treble down).
- Strumming open chords: there's a lot of resonance and loud harmonics. I won't go in that territory for now.
- I play solo style with a pick and use my fretting fingers to dampen other string especially strings just released. That will have to improve and I need additional better palm/ left finger mute like these shredders do. I will also check my hamer on, pull off, economic picking and small sweeps.
- Pitches are slightly different from unprocessed strings so I don't like mixing them. Programming to start a tone with one going into to other should work.

This is a great forum with lots of info!
I'm going to roam the forum to find experiences and advice.

To be continued.