Measuring the db level coming out of your headphones?

Started by mchad, December 30, 2022, 08:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

My tinnitus has ramped up this last few weeks so I've cut back on playing.

Had vertigo too and still have the odd momentary episode. Not sure if they're related to be honest.

Anyways, I use Sennheiser HD280 Pros and was wondering if there's some way of knowing the db level at a given setting out of my audio interface. Or say if you plugged straight into a modeler.

mchad

Brak(E)man

Quote from: mchad on December 30, 2022, 08:56:49 PMMy tinnitus has ramped up this last few weeks so I've cut back on playing.

Had vertigo too and still have the odd momentary episode. Not sure if they're related to be honest.

Anyways, I use Sennheiser HD280 Pros and was wondering if there's some way of knowing the db level at a given setting out of my audio interface. Or say if you plugged straight into a modeler.

I've had severe tinnitus and hyperacussis since -96 , vertigo is a very common effect of both. I get it from time to time.
I often have a problem with too much volume using headphones,
so sometimes I use molded earplugs at times when using headphones.
And I also have a pair of headphones with a built in limiter that I sometimes use both live and when practicing/recording etc.

Info for forum users that's managed to keep their hearing intact ( or close to)
To be noted , at 85 Db sound protection is to be used to avoid hearing loss etc, at 75-80 Db it's not safe to be exposed any longer period of time.
A damage can occur without any previous problems or without any warning in advance ( such as discomfort etc)

If one already has a hearing damage another damage can occur way below those levels.

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

mchad

Re vertigo self treatment. My doctor mentioned this and I found this video helpful.