GP10 or GR55??

Started by Rei, February 07, 2018, 04:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rei

Hi guys, I accode to this thread because sifting the web I found your interesting discussion: I have the GR55 and I'm selling because? Because it has too many things that I do not need, and then I'm pointing to the compact GP10 small USB, the use to make us bass and pad respectively on EA and DGBE mixing everything with the sound of my Godin SA and a Nova System. I am convinced that the analog sound coming out of the Nova is better (at least for me) than the sound that comes out of the GR55. As for MIDI sounds I'm going to use the GP10 as a converter and to mix some good VSTs to make strings, I really like the GP10 is small. I need a midi converter pure simple and reliable as the glorious GI20 (but why do not I redo it?), the GR55 has too many things to adjust, I need something simpler. I do not consider different converters because I already have the guitars equip with the GK3 and I would like to use them ;-)

Can you help me? Thanks to good make.
A greeting. Rei Rome

Sorry for Google translate  ;-)
Rei

Redvers

If you have vsts then I assume you have a laptop in which case the gp-10 can send midi direct to the laptop over usb.

Rei

Yes yes this I know, but I wanted to ask you if you think I do well to want to sell the GR55 and buy a GP10 .. this is the question ...
Rei

Brak(E)man

I would say yes
(or keep it and get a GP10 anyway)
But that's based on my personal feel towards GR55
It's always hard to advise someone else
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Rei

Even I had thought to keep it, but now I can sell it and appear a new GP10 with that money, in a couple of years the GR55 will not be worth enough to cover the costs to take a GP10 ..
Any other suggestion?
Rei

Redvers

I've heard the GP10 sounds better and doesn't delay when you change patches. No Roland product is perfect but the GP10 does 90% of what I want it to do.

Brak(E)man

Listen through patch exchange for GP

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=200.0

If that covers your needs then sell GR and get GP
The GP can be found cheap now.
I just got a spare one with gk mic for 250€ new from a music store

- Lydia Lunch

Rei

I am aware that the sounds are better, I was wondering if indeed the GP10 is as simple as the GI20 was, if I use it only to drive VST with my DAW (Cubase 7.5) via USB cable, is not that I will have problems? I should buy it, try it and eventually send it back, the problem is money. Here in Italy it takes 330 euros for a version without GK3
Rei

Redvers

Over usb you can send six separate string audio, a stereo mix, and midi. The midi is fast too. Setting it up can be a pain sometimes, it depends where you want the audio to come out, from the gp-10 or from the laptop.

imerkat

The Gr-55's PCM sounds are the core of the unit and the only feature it has over the GP-10. If you don't need/use those then the GP-10 is a good trade plus you could pocket some cash if you do. 

Rei

As I explained before I have 3 sound sources: 1: the sound of my guitar 2) the sound of the GP10 as I do now with the GR55, ie two bass strings I put the bass and the remaining 4 I put the pads, 3: VST that sound on the laptop piloted via midi, the 3 sources are mixed in a sound card (Motu KìMk3 Ultralite) and go to the PA.
Rei

Rei

No I do not want to use the GR55 PCMs I do not care, just make VST play or record midi, play the Kontakt instead of the GR55 .. This is my goal.
Rei

Rei

Normally, with the GR55 the bass sound I do it with a COSM (BAss Fender) not with a PCM, too "synthetic"
Rei

admin

QuoteEven I had thought to keep it, but now I can sell it and appear a new GP10 with that money, in a couple of years the GR55 will not be worth enough to cover the costs to take a GP10 ..
Despite its flaws - the GR-55 remains very popular, and I can t imagine a time when a GP-10 will be worth more than a GR-55

QuoteI was wondering if indeed the GP10 is as simple as the GI20 was, if I use it only to drive VST with my DAW (Cubase 7.5) via USB cable,
If you are battling the GR-55 guitar to MIDI settings to drive laptop based VST Synths   

the GP-10 is no different in this regard - the GP-10 employs the same Guitar to MIDI settings as GR-55 ( read the GP-10 manual
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18857.0
and using GP-10 as audio interface   - latency wiil be lower on a Mac - because Roland/Boss USB Windows ASIO drivers are a bit sluggish vs their USB OSX Core Audio versions   

If your goal is strictly guitar to MIDI to drive laptop based VSTi Synths -   use a good low latency audio interface and consider the Fishman FTP instead
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=134.0

Or  Jam Origin MIDI Guitar software
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7530.0

Rei

I was thinking about it, but the GuitaToMidi apart from its own sounds, also comes out in midi? I have a Ultralite Motu, 64k buffer, 5ms latency .. 256k, 12 ms ... well it's ok ...
Rei

admin

Quote from: Rei on February 07, 2018, 06:58:20 AM
I was thinking about it, but the GuitaToMidi apart from its own sounds, also comes out in midi? I have a Ultralite Motu, 64k buffer, 5ms latency .. 256k, 12 ms ... well it's ok ...

You still need something to perform the "Guitar to MIDI" conversion 

my prior post covers the available options
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22704.msg165176#msg165176

Smash

Just remember if you use jam origin alternate tunings are out and also you won't be able to drop an octave on the low E and A exclusively as you do now.

Yohanes

Hi Rei,

I just want to point out that GP-10 cannot process/have strings 1 and 2 different sound than string 3 to 6 (bass sound with pad sound). You may set string 1 and 2 to lower octaves to get bass notes, but it basically the same tone with the rest of the strings.

Of course if you simulate this in VST via MIDI you can get different sound for each strings at your computer.

I hope this help.

Best regards,
Yohanes
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50

Rei

Here, these are the things that I had to know before selling the gr55 .. I thank you for the info Yohanes. In fact, I like it because I would use the GP10 as a convertememidi to play the VST with the strings, and setting a bass sound on the GP10 I would play only the strings E and A while the others did not, and I achieved my goal. I see you're pretty experienced, and I wanted to ask you: is the accuracy of the midi tracking better than the GR55? I will study the manual well but at first glance I seemed to understand that the GP10 has a lot less parameters to handle, like the Nuance I've never used. As I said I need a midi converter, then I also have a section of emulation guitars and both pedal so that I can check some parameters under the feet, it is very welcome, but in essence I need to replace the GR55 with a machine that does less things, but those that do is good for you. I hope I explained myself.
Rei

Rei

Ok admin, I will do it
, thanks ;-)
Rei

Brak(E)man

The midi and the PCM tracking on Gr55 is IMHO awfull my old Casio MG works much better ,
and I never got that to work with my fretless guitars ( nor the fretted ) and I returned two gr 55 units.

I'm happy with the midi on GP (but I don't try to play piano sounds with it)

- Lydia Lunch

Rei

Yes Brake, I do not even dream of playing piano sax or similar with the guitar sinth. Basically bass and pad / bows to mix with the original sound of my guitar. At home, however, it makes me comfortable to have a small and handy midi converter with which to record my ideas quickly.
And then the GP-10 costs half of the GR55 ..
Rei

Brak(E)man

Pads , strings , bass via gp10 midi is just fine.
And the modeling & FX are great ( alt tune excepted )
On top of that it's a good soundcard.

- Lydia Lunch

Rei

I told your advice and went to see both the Fishman and the GuitarToMidi, two very interesting alternative solutions but for the Fishman: I'm not going to replace my GK3 nor my Godin Multiac SA 2) Guitar toMidi interesting but binds the everything to a software and it is tied to the laptop that although fast, can give problems. No, I prefer to have a physical controller under the feet, I am one that uses the internal and external assigns and ctl, I had a mini controller built with 4 fixed CC and a pedal, cost: 100 euro and exits midi, I use it to check GR55 parameters or VST parameters on the laptop.

Yes thanks Brake..
Rei

Majiken

Quote from: Rei on February 07, 2018, 10:40:47 PM
I told your advice and went to see both the Fishman and the GuitarToMidi, two very interesting alternative solutions but for the Fishman: I'm not going to replace my GK3 nor my Godin Multiac SA 2) Guitar toMidi interesting but binds the everything to a software and it is tied to the laptop that although fast, can give problems. No, I prefer to have a physical controller under the feet, I am one that uses the internal and external assigns and ctl, I had a mini controller built with 4 fixed CC and a pedal, cost: 100 euro and exits midi, I use it to check GR55 parameters or VST parameters on the laptop.

Yes thanks Brake..

Hi, small correction: you can use the Triple Play direct into a hardware synth without going over the software (which you should use upfront to get the proper settings), I do that with a Roland Sonic Cell and others go into keyboard synths.  Works perfectly, and the latency is at least for me much better than the GR-55.  If you have no problem with the latency, the GR-55 works well as a standalone- thousands have proved its capability, and while it didn't work for me live as a synth it was fine in the studio. Plus, you get the COSM instruments, which synths don't offer.  I got the GP10, which ended up being a better fit for me with a smaller footprint (but less functionality); tracking and accuracy-wise, I haven't found anything better than the FTP so far.  And for my purposes the wireless aspect was a dealmaker! YMMV......
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks