GP-10 - One string not registering

Started by rocks_are_stupid, January 29, 2018, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocks_are_stupid

Very strange but re-occurring issue with one of my GP-10's

on every single patch the GP-10 isn't registering the 5th string. This isn't an issue with the pickup since I've tested it with my other GP-10. isn't an issue with the Guitar settings within the patch or the global settings on the GP-10 as I've looked through and through. Doesn't seem to be the lead either since I've tried 2.

Other than that I'm really not sure how to approach it, any experience?
Original Music/Videos using only the Vguitar
-
www.YouTube.com/YourNewEmpire
www.Instagram.com/Your_New_Empire
www.Facebook.com/YourNewEmpire

Elantric

rocks_are_stupid

Will do, what am I looking for? are you saying it's reversible or is it a common sign that it's too late
-

Brak(E)man

If you tried the same cable on the other GP and that works fine , then it might be the input on the first GP.

I'd do a factory reset though before looking further
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumbo

If you have effectively isolated the problem to a specific GP-10, it's probable that you are experiencing connectivity problems between the 13-pin input jack and the main board inside the unit.

It is worth considering removing the bottom plate from the chassis to access the plug-in connector on the end of the ribbon cable attached to the jack sub-assembly...carefully remove it from the header (socket) on the main board and clean with Caig's De-Oxit and refit.

If that DOES NOT fix the problem, it's possible that the original Roland jack itself has failed...you can check that with a multimeter.

Investigations like this have been known to fix the problem for other users in the past and save them having to buy a new Synth-Linx Jack from me (at least for a while, until the original Roland jack DOES inevitably fail...)   ;)

PM me if you need further information..

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

rocks_are_stupid

Thanks, I shall get some Caig's De-Oxit (should have this anyway) and try it out. is it normal for the price to be steep?! Looking at £30 on ebay.

-

rocks_are_stupid

Quote from: gumbo on January 29, 2018, 03:40:02 PM
It is worth considering removing the bottom plate from the chassis to access the plug-in connector on the end of the ribbon cable attached to the jack sub-assembly...carefully remove it from the header (socket) on the main board and clean with Caig's De-Oxit and refit.

Okay I've put off doing this for too long now but now it's time to address, it's very likely to be the GP-10 and not the connector. The issue seems to temporarily fix when I restart the system, Why this happens I have no idea.

I'm going to do as instructed and access the connector on the GP-10, I've never used De-oxit though, so I guess I'll post pictures once it's opened up :)
-

admin

Quote from: rocks_are_stupid on March 26, 2018, 02:21:07 PM
Okay I've put off doing this for too long now but now it's time to address, it's very likely to be the GP-10 and not the connector. The issue seems to temporarily fix when I restart the system, Why this happens I have no idea.

I'm going to do as instructed and access the connector on the GP-10, I've never used De-oxit though, so I guess I'll post pictures once it's opened up :)

Internal GP-10 pics are here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11839.msg85649#msg85649

rocks_are_stupid

okay I've taken some pics

Do I just apply the De-Ox to the copper encircled in blue in the url below?

-

Elantric

See pic below

use sparingly - apply Caig DeOxit to the 13 pin contacts in the blue circle - its the electrical contacts exposed to the outside that require periodic maintenance with Caig De-Oxit

and dont forget the "14th" electrical contact - the small finger contact for the DIN shell ground connection in the smaller blue circle

and read

GK 13 pin Cable Maintenance Tips.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.msg20110#msg20110

rocks_are_stupid

Thanks very much Elantric, I'll follow your advice.

Was there any point opening the plate as Gumbo suggested?
"It is worth considering removing the bottom plate from the chassis to access the plug-in connector on the end of the ribbon cable attached to the jack sub-assembly...carefully remove it from the header (socket) on the main board and clean with Caig's De-Oxit and refit"
-

Elantric

FWIW - the internal GP-10 connection which very few folks have found intermittent is the white connector (in blue circle )  in pic below

it uses crimp pins, and there might be a faulty pin crimp on one of the wires

rocks_are_stupid

Well, I've done it now, it didn't feel right at all spraying a watery substance into electronics (my first time using de-oxit), I'll leave it for a bit and try in the morning.
Thanks for all your help
-